Black iPhone 4S to white

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lambo172, Dec 27, 2011.

1. lambo172 macrumors newbie

I was wondering if anyone has taken apart their iPhone and replaced the stock black digitizer, home button and back panel with a white one. If so, please share if you regret it, if it didn't turn out too well or if you like it. I would like to do this to my black 4S, but don't know if it would be worth it. Thanks in advance.

2. Infrared1, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 28, 2011

Infrared1 macrumors newbie

There would be nothing to regret. Make sure the parts aren't cheap quality and you know how to do it without damaging the iPhone. The aftermath is usually pretty flawless if you didnt screw up and the only difference is the faulty #'s on the back of the device. :)

3. Pixellated macrumors 65816

FYI All iPhones since the 3G have had the SN on the sim tray, not the back. :)

4. Tsuchiya macrumors 68020

Tsuchiya

I'm thinking about doing the opposite for my white iPhone :p

I like white, but black is definitely classier.

5. Infrared1 macrumors newbie

FYI I don't have a sim tray:)

6. MagnusF macrumors regular

Don´t ALL 4S´s have sim trays?

7. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'd like to try but I'm hesitant to start taking my phone apart.

8. Thai4s macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

I would advice AGAINST opening any iPhone 4 or 4s.

Mine was opened and broke. Everything worked except the front camera. It's not the camera, it's something with the main board after removing the screen.

Don't do it. It's not worth it and white gets dirty very easily and looks like crap when every little space is filled with your black crud from your hands.

Don't do it.

If you don't believe me Google "front facing camera not working after screen replacement iPhone 4". And you'll see. I had the same issue. There's no way to fix it.

The people that have the threads in google were making a black iPhone white. Just like you.

Me. It happened after a cell repair booth here in Bangkok replaced my home button.

Same issue. Everything works and when you flip to the front camera the shutter gets stuck. Nothing fixes it. Not a software issue.

I took it to another repair place and they tried another camera. No luck. Just like the guys online. There is no fix for this problem. Once it's screwed it's screwed.

Maybe a replacement main board would fix it, but who knows

Don't do it.

So maybe it happens to one out of 4 or out of 10, but if YOU happen to be the lucky one you will never forgive yourself.

9. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I'm not going to do it but I disagree about what you said about white. I have a white phone and I've never seen anything like what you describe. I think it looks better than black and doesn't show fingerprints at all.

10. Thai4s, Dec 28, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2011

Thai4s macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

^

I just saw one at the Apple store. Around the button it was covered in black crud from people using it all say. It looked really nasty. That's why I chose black again.

If I see it next time I'll take a pic of it.

Anyway. You made the right choice. Don't let anybody go near the screws unless it is an authorized iPhone repair from Apple or your provider.

Here in Thailand the provider has the warranty so you give to them.

Personally, I thought the white looked cheap. I'm not into it.

11. Thai4s macrumors member

^

I've owned both. They are absolutely completely different.

A BB is more of a dumb phone that can email and chat.

If you need a phone now look into an iPhone or Android. I would stay away from BB. We don't know what's going to happen with them. All the models now maybe obsolete and crap by this time next year or they maybe bought out my Microsoft or somebody.

All a BB can do is make calls, chat and email. That's about it. Other than than, forget it.

12. Thai4s macrumors member

It also badly pretends to browse the Internet.

13. white4s macrumors 65816

ive had my white 4s for a month and a half its still pearly white and i work in a warehouse enviroment where i use it all day long. nothing but clean white all over

14. /user/me, Dec 28, 2011

/user/me macrumors 6502

If you're adept with the technology, why can't you replace it yourself? People do their own maintenance on their vehicles with little to no trouble sometimes, so if they are capable of making the repair, then there shouldn't be a problem.

15. wpotere Guest

Although I don't think that it would "easy" or cheap to swap the color, I disagree with the above. If you know what you are doing it is not hard to take them apart and get them back together. As with working with any electronics, you need a grounding strap and proper tools. My current iPhone 4 is a built from several "broken" phones that people didn't want and it runs like new.

I would say that if you want a different color, you sell the one you have and get a new one in that color or buy a case.

16. trajen macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4S: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

You two should just meet up and trade phones! :)

17. sweetbrat, Dec 28, 2011

sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

First, white iPhones look very nice.

Second, of course a phone on display in an Apple Store is going to get dirty. It doesn't matter whether it's black or white. The black one will be covered in fingerprints, the white one will show some dirt. Most of us take care of our personal phones MUCH better than the displays at the Apple Store get treated, so it's really a moot point. No matter which color you get, if you take care of it, it will look fine.

Back to the OP...if you feel confident doing it, go for it. If not, don't. You have to make that decision, knowing that there is the possibility that you could damage your phone. It's a risk that you're either willing to take or you're not.

18. IXDoubleDXI macrumors regular

With the rate at which manufacturers are pumping out Android phones, I'd say most Android phones recently released would be obsolete by next year.

19. Kyotoma macrumors 68000

Kyotoma

My wife has a black iPhone 4 and I have a white iPhone 4. Does that make her a lesbian and me gay? I think not. It's a smartphone. Not a declaration of sexuality at all. If you're that uncomfortable with the color of a smartphone, you have bigger issues.

Back on topic, I chose white because I feel that it looks cleaner and more like an Apple product. Not because I'm gay.

20. Jnardis macrumors 6502a

Why not just do half and half?

Attached Files:

21. Rocko1 macrumors 68020

Rocko1

Any glass not bought from Apple will not be Gorilla Glass or Apples verison of it. It will scratch very easy.

Sell black, buy white. Probrably cost less in the long run.

22. Eager Beaver macrumors 6502a

Eager Beaver

I would just change 1 side to white, so you would have 1 side of each.
    I think it would look cool and you would get comments on it :)

23. wpotere Guest

It is my understanding that Apple does not use Gorilla Glass (Corning) on the 4 and the glass that I bought from iFixit has been just as good as the original. I toss my phone around daily and no scratches yet (no protector either).

Apple buys the displays from another vendor so there really is no "Apple's version". ;)

I do agree that selling it and buying the color you want would probably be cheaper though.

24. Thai4s, Dec 28, 2011

Thai4s macrumors member

the iPhone doesn't use GOrilla Glass. Apple sells it as "scratch resistant" but it is not very scratch resistant. I never mistreated mine or put it in my pocket with anything and it STILL scratched from nothing. Best thing to do is to put a transparent screen film. You can't see that it is there anyway. Do it as soon as it comes out of the box. THe first one to scratch will be the back.

----------

Boloney.

You didn't really read my comments. I told you to go look it up. There are MANY iphone repair people who were doing a color swap and when they put everything back together, the front camera wouldn't work. EVen with a new front camera it still doesn't work, which suggests damage to the board.

and they WERE using grounding straps, their proper tools, etc etc. The quadruple checked and took it apart and put it back together very carefully. Nothing. Dead front camera, which is exactly what happened to mine after the button was replaced.

Also, it is not enough to just be "adept" with technology. That doesn't even mean anything. I can put a computer together, but a smartphone is something different. I really don't want to experiment with a $700 phone.

Why?

There's no reason. If you want a white one, then buy a white one.

25. bruleke macrumors 6502

bruleke

The guy is right. A friend of mine has the white iPhone. Like ANY other white thing with scratches, it WILL get dirty inside of them, then you will see black lines... which are just grease, dirty, nose picking dirty, poop, sweat etc... :eek: