Black Lies Matter: Hate crime hoaxes

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by DUCKofD3ATH, May 9, 2016.

1. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

At some point, sooner rather than later, our society will have to get rid of the concept of a "hate crime" since it just provides opportunities for abuse:

Two [Black] College Students Expelled Over Hate Crime Hoax
    Two University of Albany students were expelled and a third suspended for two years after they were indicted for perpetrating a hate crime hoax.

The three students were on a municipal bus when, they claim, 12-20 white men assaulted them and directed racial epithets against them. But video recorded on the bus shows a much different story: the women were the aggressors and the victim was a 19-year-old white woman.
    Just the latest in a long line of similar hoaxes:
    Black students connected in SU racist drawing
    The students identified as the people behind a recent racist drawing found at Salisbury University's library are black, school officials confirmed Tuesday.

The image, found April 10 on a whiteboard in Blackwell Library, showed a stick figure being hung and labeled with a racial slur. Underneath was the hashtag “#whitepower.”

Kean University racism protester to face jail time for tweeting fake death threats
    In December we talked about the upsetting events at Kean University where someone was tweeting death threats against all of the black students on campus. This was taken as evidence that University President Dawood Farahi should resign, having failed to provide a sufficiently safe environment for his minority students. Of course, it later turned out that the death threats had come from one of the organizers of the protests against the administration (Kayla McKelvey by name, who was herself black) and the demonstrations seemed to die down for a while.

Jersey City high school candidate for student gov't sent racist texts to himself, school official says
    The black St. Peter’s Prep student who purportedly received racist text messages warning him to drop out of the Jersey City high school's student government election sent the texts to himself, a school official confirmed last week.

Woman admits tweeting fake threats to fellow black students
    ELIZABETH, N.J. (AP) — A former leader of a black student group pleaded guilty Monday to creating a false public alarm by tweeting anonymous threats against fellow black college students last fall.
    According to prosecutors, the 25-year-old McKelvey tweeted threats from a campus library because she wanted more people to attend the November 17, 2015, rally on racial issues. She then returned to the rally to tell people about the threats.

Yik Yak threat at SVSU said, 'I'm going to shoot every black person I can on campus'
    SAGINAW, MI — Police at Saginaw Valley State University say a threat posted on the social media site Yik Yak read, "I'm going to shoot every black person I can on campus. Starting tomorrow morning."
    Emmanuel D. Bowden, 21, is charged with making a false report or threat of terrorism, a felony that carries a maximum penalty of 20 years in prison.
    The police reports state that, after the post received multiple "negative replies," the original poster replied with four additional messages that read, "Its [sic] a joke," "I'm black," "I was going to give it an hour to see how you all would react," and "Right. I could be angry and just expressing myself lol."

‘WHITE ONLY’ AND ‘BLACK ONLY’

A bizarre incident happened last week at University of Buffalo. Someone posted signs reading “White Only” or “Black Only” at the entrance to bathrooms and above drinking fountains around campus. Students were shocked and outraged, USA Today and other outlets reported. Police were called in to remove the signs and investigate.

The Black Student Union called a meeting to discuss the incident, in the course of which the affair crossed over into a wonderland. As the members deplored the signs and the racist legacy they invoked, a black graduate student rose and admitted that she placed the signs herself. It was a performance art project, she said, created to fulfill an assignment for a course, “Installation in Urban Spaces.”

Black Suspect Arrested After Racist Message Discovered Outside Predominately Black Church
    COLORADO SPRINGS, Colo. (CBS4)– A Colorado Springs man was arrested after police believe he left racist messages outside a church.

Vincent Broughton, 44, who is black, is facing charges for committed a bias-motivated crime and disorderly conduct.​

Why do so many blacks fan the flames of racism by falsely claiming to be victims of whites?

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

it's not just blacks, it's scam artist looking for a payout from all walks of life.

3. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    The same reason whole slews of people gripe about the Gaystapo on my Facebook wall.

Victimhood is the new discourse.

4. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

As I said, the concept of a hate crime is just begging to be abused, and has been over a hundred times in the past decade:

When we started our search, we were expecting to find twenty, perhaps forty examples from the past decade of high-profile hate crimes that turned out to be frauds.

If only. We found over a hundred, spread across race, gender, sexuality and religion.

Perhaps thanks to the effect of social media and citizen-led sleuthing, reports of hate-crime hoaxes undergo a massive surge in the years after 2011. 2015 seems to have been a high point — our search found over 20 incidents in that year alone.

Then again, we’re only a quarter of the way through 2016. There have already been four major hate crime hoaxes this year.
    I focused on BLM hate crime hoaxes because there are so MANY of them.
    --- Post Merged, May 9, 2016 ---
    Faking crimes is the new discourse? Really?

5. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

This says a lot, and as mentioned before, isn't unexpected from you.

BL.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The fact that the concept of 'hate crimes' is open to possible abuse, and occasional hoaxes, does not mean that hate crimes do not exist, have long existed, have had a long and horrible history in the US, and need to be acknowledged and addressed. The existence of the one does not exclude the fact that the existence of the other is a far more pressing problem for US society.

This does not excuse or condone the fact that abuses occur, but that it no way undermines the fact that the sorry history and legacy of hate crimes in the US far outweigh the pathetic and ludicrous examples of hoaxes and abuses that have also occurred.

8. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

kidnapping is ripe for abuse you know how many people have made fake kidnapping plans for money or to get out of work? bomb threats are ripe for abuse you know how many fake ones have been called in to get out of work?

9. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

10. Limey77 macrumors regular

Fake whiplash claims and injury at work claims far outweigh these types of claims. So where is your faux rage about those??

Let me guess...?

Hate crimes are very real. They affect both men and women of all races. To try and paint this as a black vs white thing is not only preposterous but shows a distinct bias on your part.

11. 617aircav Suspended

So glad. These liars even had Hillary tweeting about the incident.

12. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Real whiplash claims and injury at work claims probably outnumber hate crimes. Where is the rage about those?

13. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

The whole community was built on a hoax, did you expect more?

14. Limey77 macrumors regular

I'm sure you're attempting to mock me. But why would anyone be enraged by victims of injury?

The OP was enraged by people falsely claiming they were the victims of a hate crime. I pointed out that the OP does not seem to be enraged (at least to the same degree) by people falsely claiming injury.

Neither has anything to do with genuine victims.

15. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

A hundred false hate crime hoax over the last decade, with 20 such incidents in 2015?

Nevermind the fact that the FBI has 5,462 hate crimes on record for 2014 alone.

Yeah, there are hoaxes, and yeah, the perpetrators should be punished, but the fact some people lie about being the victim a hate crime doesn't negate the many, many, many more who actually are victims.

16. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

because he has to try to prove liberals are as horrible people as conservatives so as a conservative he can feel better about himself. of course it does not really work but there you are.

17. Limey77 macrumors regular

Hate crimes are particularly odious and should be punished accordingly.

I would hate to be assaulted or raped (who wouldn't) but to add in the fact that you were assaulted or raped for no other reason than you were white/black/gay/Christian/Muslim/Jewish etc would be much worse. You'd always live in fear that it would happen again just because of who you were not just being in the wrong place at the wrong time.

18. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Why?
    Then we need to prosecute hate crime hoaxes as hate crimes, don't we?
    Kidnapping is a federal offense. A phony bomb threat is a felony.

We need to make hate crime hoaxes a hate crime. Teach 'em a lesson.
    Yeah, I'm biased. I'm absolutely disgusted by people trading on race for advancement.

19. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

So you hate most of white man's history? Because it is full of it. Or is it you just hate black people doing it or lefties doing it?

20. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

I'm not at all enraged by people falsely claiming whiplash injury because dishonest people lie about such matters.

I'm shocked that blacks would abuse hate crime laws, which are extremely serious. I'm as flabbergasted as I would be if I found out blacks were traitors to America or slaveowners. That's the level of crime I'm talking about, so pack up your petty whiplash peccadilloes willya?
    You just had to go there, didn't you, SK?

Slavery in Africa
    Like most other regions of the world, slavery and forced labor existed in many kingdoms and societies of Africa for thousands of years.[17] Precise evidence on slavery or the political and economic institutions of slavery before contact with the Arab or Atlantic slave trade is not available.[7] Early European reports of slavery throughout Africa in the 1600s are unreliable because they often conflated various forms of servitude as equal to chattel slavery.[18] The complex relationships and evidence from oral histories often incorrectly describe many forms of servitude or social status as slavery, even when the practices do not follow conceptualizations of slavery in other regions around the world.[7]
    Slavery has occurred across cultures, races and millennia. Try to keep up.

21. 617aircav Suspended

Is there anyone really defending these sisters? Racism exist but this case was not that. They were selfish and willing to destroy innocent people's reputation just to claim the victim status.

22. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

and you had to try to deflect it we just need to look at american history but hey deflect and deny it is always easier.

23. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

A series of crimes that, over time, equates to somewhere in the ballpark of about 10 a year doesn't constitute a problem among the "blacks" as a whole. This is your problem in a nutshell right here. You pick a few isolated cases of people being asses, and judge an entire demographic of people by it.

I mean hell, why condemn the "blacks" 100 cases of race baiting over a decade, when you have a bunch of people committing thousands of actual, honest to god hate crimes a year.

"Yeah, there's a skinhead curb stomping epidemic going on in a bunch of minority neighborhoods, but...HOLY CRAP, THAT GUY LIED ABOUT THE KLAN BURNING A CROSS IN HIS YARD! This is why you can't trust the blacks, Steve. They'll do anything for attention."

24. DUCKofD3ATH thread starter Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

OK
    I love it when you tell my what my problem is. You're so bighearted and generous. Did I mention unbiased too?

But I am curious why you didn't step in to chide Steve Knight for his generalization about white people. You must not have seen it, right? Otherwise I'm sure you would have spoken up.

That's why I respect your opinion like I do.

25. steve knight Suspended

steve knight

Ok so lets really se some real tragedies when white people accuse black people falsely. so tell me how choked up are you over these?

10 Egregious Cases of White People Falsely Accusing Black People of Committing Crimes

When the University of Michigan law school and the Center on Wrongful Convictions at the School of Law at Northwestern University in Chicago collaborated to create the National Registry of Exonerations, the researchers found that Blacks accounted for nearly half (47 percent) of all known exonerees in 1989, and whites made up nearly 39 percent of all known exonerees. But when they got to the year 2012, they found that the number of exonerations involving Blacks had risen to 57 percent. Of the 1,525 exonerations currently listed on the register as of Jan. 7, 2o15, a total of 715 involved Black people. Because of America’s tragic racial history, even today many of the exonerations involve white people wrongfully accusing Black people of committing crimes — and the accusations being enough to send them to jail for much of their lives. These are some of the most outrageous cases of Black people being falsely accused by whites.

Emmett Till

Till’s murder is one of the most famous cases of racist brutality in U.S. history. Till, 14, was killed in Mississippi in 1955 after reportedly flirting with a white woman, Carolyn Bryant, 21. Till was from Chicago, visiting his relatives in Money, Mississippi, in the Mississippi Delta region. Several nights later, Bryant’s husband, Roy, and his half-brother, J. W. Milam, went to Till’s great-uncle’s house and took Till away to a barn, where they beat him and gouged out one of his eyes before shooting him through the head and disposing of his body in the Tallahatchie River, weighting it with a 70-pound cotton gin fan tied around his neck with barbed wire. Three days later, Till’s body was discovered and retrieved from the river. When Till’s body was returned to Chicago, his mother insisted on a public funeral service with an open casket to show the world the brutality of the killing.

Charles StuartIn October 1989, Stuart told authorities that when he and his wife were coming home from a birthing class at a local hospital in Boston, they lost their way and ended up in a “dangerous part of town” near a Black housing project. He said that while they were looking for a way out, they were attacked by a dark-skinned mugger who came out of nowhere and fatally shot Stuart’s pregnant wife, Carol, and wounded Stuart. That was the story Stuart told and the story that the police and most of the news media swallowed whole. Dozens of Black men were rounded up and questioned, hundreds of homes were raided and an African-American man named William Bennett was arrested and jailed on suspicion of murder. Stuart, it was later discovered, had pulled the trigger. He blamed a Black man and jumped to his death from a bridge after his lie was exposed.

Darryl Hunt case

In 1984, Hunt, an African-American man from Winston-Salem, North Carolina, at the age of 19 was convicted of the rape and murder of a white woman named Deborah Sykes — despite the fact that there was no physical evidence tying him to the crimes. Even with no evidence, he was sentenced by an all-white jury to life in prison. Ten years later, he was cleared of the rape when DNA testing proved he had never committed that crime. Despite the rape being central to the overall crime, he spent an additional nine years in prison until a man named Willard Brown confessed to both acts. After 19 years in prison, Hunt was finally exonerated in 2004.

Bethany Sorro received a lot of media attention after claiming that a Black woman threw acid on her face. After holes began popping up in her story, she admitted that the story was a hoax.

Pizza deliveryman Brian Wells came to a bank in Erie, Pa. with a bomb locked around his neck. He told police that group of Black men had taken him hostage and put the bomb there. After receiving close to $9,000, the pizza man was blown to bits by the bomb. Police would later find out that Wells was in on the plot with a few of his white friends.

1. Ashley Todd, Pennsylvania, 2008

This crazy, overweight, young Republican thought it would be a good idea to carve a backwards B on her face and blame it on a Black Barack Obama supporter. Too bad the police investigated her story and found out it was B.S… only after John McCain and Sarah Palin called her and offered her their condolences.