Black MacBook is back from 2nd Trip to AppleCare... and they fixed a LOT!

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by The Tuck, Oct 29, 2009.

1. The Tuck macrumors 6502

The Tuck

"We replaced these parts:

Display panel or Assembly (Bad Spots(s)/Pixels)
    Main Logic Board [2nd time] (Sleep/Wake Issue)
    Display Bezel (Enclosure - Mechanical/Cosmetic Damaged)
    Connector (Battery - Not Recognized)
    Misc Parts (Enclosure - Mechanical/Cosmetic Damaged)
    Inverter (Intensity - Dim or brightness)
    Top Case (Enclosure - Mechanical/Cosmetic Damaged)"

This means that I have basically an all new computer that was originally made in 2007. Moral of the story: buy AppleCare! It’s worth it. The guy at the Genius Bar was very helpful in getting my laptop sent off to Apple both times I brought it in.

-The Tuck

2. jpma macrumors 6502

think you'll be more happy if they say ' replace it with the new macbook'
    since changing so much parts might be easier to change the whole notebook.

3. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

Well, the computer STILL has a problem with installing Snow Leopard from the optical drive... after two visits to AppleCare. I'm probably going to bring it back tomorrow to the Apple Store and explain to the Genius that they hadn't fixed one of the problems that he marked on the repair form (the OS X installation problem). Hopefully I'll be able to talk him into just giving me a new laptop.

Does that sound reasonable?

-The Tuck

4. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

Sounds like a new computer.

5. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I have an appointment for this afternoon at the Genius Bar. Hopefully the same guy will be there so I can show him that they did not fix the issue. Does anyone know if I actually did get offered a 13" MacBook Pro upgrade, does anyone know if I would be able to pay the difference and get a 15"? My next computer was probably going to be a 15" anyway, whenever this one went kah-put.

-The Tuck

6. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

I don't think this will count as your 3rd repair... sounds like they're still working on #2. The problem is they just put a butt-load of new parts in that thing.

I could be wrong though. These things tend to depend on the mood of the tech at the time.

7. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I took it in and the Genius installed Snow Leopard over the network - which worked perfectly. For some reason, I only can't install it when I do it from the optical drive. Since this is the only problem I'm having with the optical drive, I'm fine with keeping it. It's basically a new computer now after having the logic board replaced twice, the optical drive, LCD, bezel, and top case replaced!

-Tuck

8. Richard1028 macrumors 68000

Then they didn't fix it.

Why do you find this acceptable?

9. teksurv macrumors regular

I would not settle for that as a resolution. I would demand a properly working SuperDrive or one hell of an explanation as to the cause. Actually, given all the repairs you have had thus far, I would respectfully request a new machine at each level of management necessary. In the end it's your MacBook and your Apple Care agreement.

10. The Tuck thread starter macrumors 6502

The Tuck

I had lost my computer for 2 weeks straight to AppleCare and I didn't really want to lose it again so they could change the DVD drive (again...). You're right though, I should call AppleCare again sometime and explain that this is the third time it's had to be sent back in. But I think since the repairs happened on different service trips, I will just settle with this machine with new parts. I was hoping they would offer me a new machine because of all the hassle, but I didn't press the issue too much.

It's working well so far... Hopefully it keeps up the good job.

-Tuck

11. iBookG4user macrumors 604

iBookG4user

Usually it takes either three replacements of the same major part or extraordinary circumstances for a replacement to be offered. I have a lot of personal experience with them in that respect and they adhere strictly to this three replacement policy.

12. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

wow.. didn't know they replace cosmetic damage o_O

13. Badger^2 macrumors 68000

Badger^2

they replace the cracked palmrests on any macbook

white or black, applecare or not

14. Sasuke-chan macrumors member

they replaced the top case.. isn't that like.. the cover for cosmetic..?

15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

clyde2801

I just scored a cheap 2.13 mb on cl, and it had the small crack on the topcase on one side underneath the magnet. They quickly repaired it without saying a word. The genius also informed me that they had some thicker topcases in the back for repair purposes that they thought would take care of the cracking problem. :D

The cracks are a known defect on the macbooks, but I wouldn't go so far as to say they'll replace any and every one period. My machine was pristine except for the under magnet crack. If it looks like a fat man sat on your machine when it was closed, the genius could say that the damage was caused by accident or abuse instead of the defect and refuse to cover it.

I've got a friend whose whitebook has both the defect and abuse. I'm urging him to make an genius appointment for his to see what they'll do. At the very worst, they'll just say no.

As for the OP, I'd take my frakkin' machine back in. If they determine that the drive was bad, and try to ship it off again, I'd (politely) tell the genius and/or the manager that while I was grateful that they replaced so many items, that it's a PITA to be without your machine three times for extended periods. You paid for applecare to be assured of a fully functioning machine, not a mostly working one.