Black Man Harassed In Cheesecake Factory For Wearing MAGA Hat

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ucfgrad93, May 17, 2018.

1. ucfgrad93, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Whatever your political beliefs, you shouldn't be harassed for simply wearing an article of clothing. I hope all of the employees involved are fired.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/mone...an-being-harassed-wearing-maga-hat/611475002/

2. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

I agree. I mean, it may have been the only hat he had handy and was wearing it to keep the sun out of his eyes.

Mind you, he should take his hat off indoors, but really...

3. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Political bigotry is the last form of acceptable bigotry. It's going to get worse before it gets better.

4. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

Gotta love how people can be attacked so viciously over their political beliefs.

Just stop. We all have our own opinions. We all have the right to choose.

What we don't have and should never have, is the right to treat someone like this simply because of a hat that shows support to the president.

5. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

Trump supporters are ruining the country, but, I agree that they still should be allowed to take advantage of public accommodations without interference from the employees there.

6. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

I loathe Trump, but if the story is true the employees should be fired. Personal matters should not come into play in a work environment, and that is true whether a person wearing a Trump hat is being served or a same-sex couple wanting a wedding cake.

7. rhett7660 macrumors G4

rhett7660

Sadly, that is how it feels. If you have an opinion that is different than someone, you are evil and it opens the flood gates for anything and everything to be thrown at you. This is on all sides of the spectrum, not just here.

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Cheesecake Factory Inc. said two workers at one of its Miami restaurants are no longer employed there after making “disparaging remarks” about a customer’s hat bearing the slogan of President Donald Trump’s campaign “Make America Great Again.”

“No guest should ever feel unwelcome in one of our restaurants and we are very sorry,” the chain said in a statement on Twitter. An investigation is continuing into the incident, which occurred on Sunday. It said that as of Tuesday, the two staff members are no longer with the company.

The response comes as a push for more inclusion becomes a key issue in corporate America. Starbucks Corp. will be closing more than 8,000 company-owned stores on May 29 for anti-bias training after the arrest of two black men at a Philadelphia location last month became a flashpoint for the chain.

time.com

I wonder if this thread will get to 95 pages and Eugenior Joseph will get on the Today Show? Probably not.

9. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Not a chance.

10. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not unless one side refuses to condemn the actions of the employees....

They should have been fired and its good that they were.

11. Septembersrain macrumors 68040

Septembersrain

True. I've learned to try to just see both sides. I won't always agree but I believe that treating people like s**t will not help anything. Instead of civil conversations and agreeing to disagree, people resort to ugly tactics.

We're a country divided and everyone is out to "win" for their side no matter how many other people will lose for it.

I'm a centrist. I'm damn sick of the two party system now. We have so many ideas on all sides of the isle but too much pride to sit down and talk about these ideas.

Can you imagine if everyone came together to better the lives of all of their neighbors? Not just the ones who are on their same boat?

12. ucfgrad93 thread starter macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Well said. Politics used to be about convincing the other person that your ideas are best and possibly coming to a compromise. Now it is just about demonizing your opponents.

13. 0007776 Suspended

I’m just waiting for @JayMysterio to come in and tell us all how these employees were so racist in this case.

14. ThisBougieLife macrumors 68000

ThisBougieLife

Cheesecake Factory sucks; the rice was burnt in the taco plate I ordered when I last went there. The Palo Alto location is closing too.

It's one thing for irate obnoxious customers to do something like that (which is bad enough), but from employees it's completely unacceptable. People need to get the frick over political, religious, racial, sexual differences.

Glad they were fired.

15. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

16. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

One employee tried to scare Joseph by standing behind him "balling his fists, smacking his fists"

Geez, man. How did anyone think this would be okay?

17. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

18. ActionableMango macrumors G3

ActionableMango

One Cake Ring to rule them all,
    One Cake Ring to find them,
    One Cake Ring to bring them all
    And in the fluorescent lighting, bind them.

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

It's not racist, everyone knows a black person isn't truly black if they support a republican.

20. CaptMurdock Suspended

CaptMurdock

Okay, is this really necessary??

21. BoxerGT2.5, May 17, 2018
    Last edited: May 17, 2018

BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Like it or not that's the reality of it. If that makes you uncomfortable then I'd suggest your side work on not treating everyone as a category that must remain homogeneous in order to keep their "identity".

22. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

ON one hand... I have bipolar 2 and I know that phrase has triggered my anger rather quickly in the past. But I would never confront someone for wearing the hat.

The whole phrase really rubs me in a wrong way.

But, the other hand, you need to hold yourself to a better standard when you are at work.

23. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Apparently it is. Behold..

Straight Black Men Are the White People of Black People
    It feels counterintuitive to suggest that straight black men as a whole possess any sort of privilege—particularly the type of privilege created for and protected by whiteness. In America, we are near or at the bottom in every relevant metric determining quality of life. Our arrest and incarceration rates, our likelihood of dying a violent death, our likelihood of graduating high school and attending college, our employment rates, our average net worth, our likelihood of surviving past 70—I could continue, but the point is clear.

But assessing our privilege (or lack thereof) on these facts considers only our relationship with whiteness and with America. Intraracially, however, our relationship to and with black women is not unlike whiteness’s relationship to us. In fact, it’s eerily similar.

24. Altis macrumors 68030

That's essentially what many "progressives" are saying about Kanye, sadly.

25. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

If the employees has a mistreated a customer more than once, then I agree with firing them. For first time offenders, a more suitable punishment might set them straight. The usual punishment is cleaning the toilets for a 2 weeks and the customer receiving a complementary meal...on the offending employee's tab.

If you don't give a person to chance to learn from their mistake, they will continue to make that mistake.