Black man who was a retired corrections officer, assaulted and sent to hospital by police

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by R.Perez, Dec 5, 2016.

1. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

2. daflake, Dec 5, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2016

daflake macrumors 6502a

Can't watch the video as it is slow loading here at work, but I will say this. Nobody said that there aren't bad cops out there and people who make stupid mistakes. Out of the hundreds of thousands of police officers, we see usually a handful of these videos where someone innocent got caught up in the mix. Then the media steps in and fuels the fire to make it worse than it probably was. I am sure the officers are on administrative leave and will be prosecuted if found guilty or simply fired. The gentleman in question will probably get a nice little payout as he will probably sue.

It shouldn't have happened, but it does and probably won't stop sadly. Still, I am not willing to tie the hands of the people who keep my streets safe.

3. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

The crappy part is he probably worked with them or had seen them around the office at some point. They just didn't recognize him.

I wonder why the grocery store refused to share the video footage.

4. daflake macrumors 6502a

It is crappy, but I don't believe that the problem is as big as the media would like everyone to think. Most of these "victims" are fighting back when something happens to them. At that point they have lost my respect and in some cases actually got what they deserved. As for this guy (I got a little to download), I think that it sucks and the officers should be held accountable unless video arises showing him fighting back. If that is the case, then he has onus in this as well.

I'm sure video will arise at some point. Either way, the OP is just trying to stir the pot.

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. There should be a complete investigation into this.

6. shyam09 macrumors 68020

shyam09

My thoughts -- I agree with others. I don't think the whole "white on black" police crimes are as bad as the media portrays it to be. Looking at the news article I posted, the article writer clearly went out of his way to highlight that it was a bunch of white cops against 1 black man.

I would like to highlight this part: "'We don’t have to retrain, we got to let them be held accountable for their actions,' Lanier said."

7. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Let's go to the scholarship to get answers about whether retraining of US police forces is necessary:

Source: Black and blue: Exploring racial bias and law enforcement in the killings of unarmed black male civilians.
    American Psychologist, Vol 71(3), Apr 2016, 175-186.

Black youth as adult like:

Blacks as sub- and super-human:

Blacks as violent and criminal threats:

Stereotypes in the context of shooter bias:

Distinct Experiences With Black Male Civilians:

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Where's the store surveillance video? That would be interesting to see. If guilty of said claims, Officers should be charged.

9. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Pretty simple.

10. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

One would think. I'm sure I'll be labeled an apologist for mentioning surveillance video though.

11. daflake macrumors 6502a

You do realize that this is never going to change right? There will always be social bias and racism. So now that you have pointed it out, what is YOUR plan to try and change it? Just curious since you are the one that likes to pour gasoline on an open fire.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2016 ---
    Yes, yes you are. As am I for asking him on how he would fix this....

I truly believe that some people are just fanning the flames so they can say "see, I told you it was bad"!

12. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

13. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

It's kind of funny that there are people here determined to be offended or slandered. Just relax, criticise the cops and move on.

14. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

The same article actually had some suggestions. I'll post them when I get to work. The important part for me is establishing the baseline that there is a real problem. We won't be able to implement and work towards solutions until the majority of us acknowledge the problem first. While I am happy to see your reply acknowledges the problem, even if you think it can't be fixed, many others deny that there is an issue in the first place.

15. nebo1ss macrumors 68030

And the link between this and Garden City shopping while Black is ? Is it not possible to start the inter-action between
    the "suspect" particularly when you have no description other than Black and the Police with some sort of conversation.

16. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

To the OP'ers point that he's looking for apologist, that he can stop looking. As already noted, no one said there weren't bad cops and bad decisions. Just the same my point is cops get attacked too.

On the internet anything is possible. In this and real-life, we don't know the situation. Details will no doubt surface.

17. daflake macrumors 6502a

I don't think that you will find anyone who will deny that social bias and racism exists. What many are saying and people are not hearing is that this racism and social bias is on both sides of the fence. When I was in the Army many years ago, my black roommate hated white people. Nothing I could do or say was going to change that, simply put, he was racist. In my life I have met many who are racist, or have a strong lean towards their own race. Sadly it is just part of life and really never going to disappear. If it does, it just means that people aren't saying what they feel. The BLM movement is a prime example of that. You have some who wanted to use the movement to show that racism is there and others in the black community who turned it into a joke by attacking police as well as looting and destroying other peoples property and beating others who don't agree with them. How is that any different than the police force you want to change?

As for police....

America is pretty brutal when it comes to crime. Police officers put their lives out there everyday and almost every shooting we have seen recently has been of a suspect fighting back. In many cases, a firearm was involved and while I am sorry for the loss, when an officer's life is potentially threatened, they have the right (just like you) to go home at night. So, maybe we are looking in the wrong direction.... Maybe we should be teaching our kinds respect and maybe we should be respecting others instead of calling the cops pigs, or worse, telling people to fight back.

The BLM movement lost me because it's only purpose is to generate more hate for one another but creating a cause to further isolate people who feel isolated.

18. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

well that would just makes sense. I mean isn't it just crazy that a thug walking the streets can cause mayhem, break laws, fight with cops and yes find thousands of people willing to defend him when he gets his butt handed to him. (general comment not relating it to the original post story).

19. diamond.g macrumors 603

diamond.g

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

So the saying really is All Lives Matter.

21. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Here we go again... black lives matter only means that black lives matter. Do you agree that black lives matter or not? That statement in no way ever meant that that other lives mattered less. It was only ever intended to establish that black lives matter in a society that seems to value black lives less than other lives. Any read to the contrary is your problem.

22. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Keep up the division of Americans, and Americans will continue to be divided. It's almost like it's part of a plan.

23. R.Perez thread starter macrumors 6502

R.Perez

I stand by the sociological definition of racism that defines racism in relationship to power. Black people can be prejudiced certainly, but they can't be racist because, as a marginalized population, they don't have power. The courts, capital, the legislative branch, across the board are overwhelmingly white.
    --- Post Merged, Dec 5, 2016 ---
    So tiring. Saying black lives matter doesn't divide anyone. If you read it that way that's your problem.