Black or silver? Stainless steel or aluminum? 42 or 38mm?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Wolfpup, Sep 8, 2016.

1. Wolfpup macrumors 68030

Okay so my understanding is everyone should get the 42mm watch, that it makes using it easier and the size difference isn't the big a deal?

What color is classier? I get silver/white for my iPhone and iPads, but I think I like how black looks on the watch...but I'm not sure... My glasses right now are gold, if that matters.

I had thought they'd raised the price on the stainless steel ones, but I guess they still start at $600.

What are the real-world differences? I'd PREFER lighter, as I haven't worn a watch in a decade or more.

And then I need to choose a band LOL. The sport band looks lamer in pictures than everything else, but...

For that matter, how comfortable are these? My Band 1 is cool, but has a really tight/uncomfortable fit so the sensors can do their job.

2. gigaguy, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

gigaguy macrumors 65816

Everyone's tastes differ... but...Aluminums are noticeably lighter than Stainless. For Aluminum, Space gray looks classier to me than silver or gold. The Stainless (both colors) look classier than Aluminum.
    The woven nylon bands are light and super comfortable.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I don't think a given color is classier then another color.

Just get the color/style that best suits your style and preferences, whether that's Gold, black, or pink

4. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Thanks! Okay...I think I'll plan on that, aluminum, gray, and I'll look for a woven band...

5. mguzzi macrumors regular

The screen on the Apple Watch Sport models is not as durable as the Sapphire screen on the SS models. I had a Sport for a month and scratched the screen on a wooden table. I exchanged it for a SS and after 10 months not a single scratch on the screen and I wear it every day.

6. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Huh... I'm not sure how much to worry about it, given I've had VERY good luck with the glass screens on phones, ever since they switched from plastic to glass.

How much heavier is it? I mean $200 sort of isn't a big deal, EXCEPT there will of course be an Apple Watch 3, and I don't even know if I'm going to care enough about it to use it. I'm sort of just buying one 'cause I want one, for no decernable reason. I'm hoping I discover I love it after the fact LOL

7. mguzzi macrumors regular

It's not noticeable heavier, it feels just like any other stainless steel watch. If your buying one because you want one and you want to try it buy a Sport from Best Buy since they usually have a pretty good return policy and if you decide that you really like it you can either keep it or exchange it for the SS. I love mine and use it a lot more than I ever thought I would. I mainly use mine for notifications and its nice to be able to check my steps activity and heart rate. Plus it doesn't look like a smart watch.

8. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Okay, I have ANOTHER dumb question...

What's best for your skin? I asked a friend today, and she's acting like both aluminium AND stainless steel are bad for your skin?

My glasses I have to use titanium because anything else reacts with my skin and turns green...

9. amb* macrumors newbie

amb*

Turning green sounds like nickel or copper. MacBooks and iPhones have been made of aluminum for years and I've never heard of anyone having skin issues constantly touching them. The bottom of the watch is mostly ceramic/glass anyway.

10. gugy macrumors 68030

My rational is simple, at least for me. I am getting the cheaper model and I am tall with large wrist so the 42mm is the choice. The color, it doesn't matter. Both are nice.
    Sports version at aluminum is the way to go. It's is the cheapest version and honestly, I would not pay more for a watch that would be obsolete in less than 2 years. I am using just for exercise and while I would not mind to buy a different band, here and there, I don't want to spend too much on it overall.

11. mguzzi macrumors regular

I have sensitive scan and get a slight rash from the circle on the sport band where the pin is if I where it more than a couple days. I bought one of the stainless steel Milanese Loop bands and I where that most of the time.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

42mm black aluminum for me.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 8, 2016 ---
    calling obsolete after two years is a slight stretch imo but you have a valid point.

13. gugy, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016

gugy macrumors 68030

Well, I am sure you can still use it fine but at the rate of change from generation to generation and maybe next version having a better battery life and God knows what new or improved features, I would not pay too much for it. That's just me. I would not mind paying $5k for a Rolex or Omega because these timepieces are classic and will last decades but on an AW, I can't justify it. Again, my personal opinion.

14. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

I got the silver aluminum on the first one but wish I had gotten the space gray so I'll be getting that color for the version 2.
    I got the first one at launch and I have one small scratch on the screen...never used bumpers, cases or protectors on it and I wear it all the time except maybe when wrenching on the motorcycle. Not sure how the one scratch got there but it help up well otherwise. I see no need to be extra spendy for the sapphire glass.

15. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I agree with you. I just thought obsolete was a a strong word choice. Fist gen watch is approaching two years and by all accounts it's still a find product. But I get it. Even a couple hundred is speedy IMO for what it is and how long it will last.

16. shox2k2 macrumors 6502

I have a 38 black ss. I love it. No scratches or dings. Only sport bands. My brother in law has a black sport and he enjoys that one. He even got a link bracelet (I think aftermarket) and it looks good. Not sure on dings or scratches. I wanted ss because of the sapphire. I work outside and was worried I'd break it. I got apple care so I should have known there'd be no problems.

17. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

So the 42mm is better for usage? I have small wrists is the 42mm still good to get?

18. lauramayer macrumors regular

lauramayer

The new AW 2 Sport model have the same screen as the old AW 1? I thought they changed it. :/

19. GlobeZ macrumors member

GlobeZ

They have changed it, these are the specifications:-

Second-generation OLED Retina display with Force Touch2× brighter (1000 nits)

Sapphire crystal (stainless steel and ceramic cases)

Ion-X glass (aluminum cases)

272 by 340 pixels (38mm)

312 by 390 pixels (42mm)

20. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

I'd love if someone would comment on it, but that's what I've heard, like that the mm size doesn't really correspond the sizes that normal watches use, and that the larger one is only slightly larger, but easier to use, and the review I was reading was recommending it for everyone... but maybe not everyone agrees?

21. ScubaCinci macrumors 65816

ScubaCinci

It's simply a matter of personal preference. If you have smaller hands/wrists then the 38mm may look best on you. My wife couldn't decide until she went into the store and actually tired them both...she ended up with the 38mm.

22. Wolfpup thread starter macrumors 68030

Hmmmm still leaning towards the black, aluminum with a woven band. Seems less conspicuous than silver.

23. nicho macrumors 68000

so in the context of the post by @lauramayer you replied to, they didn't change it.

the aluminium models still have glass screens, not sapphire. it's just the bit underneath thats changed.

24. JamerG macrumors member

I can't recommend enough going into a Apple Store and actually trying it on - it completely changed my mind about what I was going to order when I got my (launch day) watch.

I was thinking space gray too, but the aluminium sport with white band actually looked better on my wrist. I was thinking of adding a leather loop, but the Milanese loop looked better.

Go and try some out - it's the only way to make a sensible decision.

The only things I would say are that I think the lighter aluminium case (if that's the way you're going) gives better options for pairing with other straps, but the sport straps are actually really, really impressive.

25. AGamble macrumors regular