Black Preacher sets up White Cop on purpose to "see his reaction"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Shivetya, Aug 3, 2010.

1. Shivetya macrumors 65816

Sgt. Matthew Grimes was asked to give a presentation to a church audience on July 24 at Municipal Gardens, in the 1800 block of Lafayette Road.

During the presentation, an altercation broke out in the crowd, and Grimes intervened. The officer was thrown to the ground and drew his Taser, ready to stun one of the people involved, police said.

http://www.theindychannel.com/news/24453132/detail.html

James Harrington, pastor of the Mt. Vernon Missionary Baptist Church, said he set up the scenario to test a white officer's reaction to a fight between two black men.

WOW, just WOW.

So basically the Preacher wanted to put "the man" on trial during what the officer thought was a community out reach program. I doubt it, but they should toss the preacher into jail along with the two props.

I guess I am glad I live down South, where we stand more accused of being backwoods racist while seeing all the hate up North in the news.

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Is this a record for inflammatory culture wars threads today?

Seriously- do you want to have a discussion, or do you want to simply irritate people?

BTW, Shivvy- Indiana is hardly a bastion of liberalism. Quite the opposite.

3. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

How is posting a news story inflammatory? You don't think that the actions of the church were wrong?

You post every time there is an incident against gay people, but you are going to criticize Shivetya for posting this? Good one.:rolleyes:

God forbid anybody posts about newsworthy events that take place which doesn't involve gay people, what a terrible thing.:rolleyes:

Don't blame the messenger, blame the racist black pastor and his racist church for waging their racist culture wars.

I didn't know about this story, so thanks to Shivetya for posting it. I heard that Obama was looking for a new church a while back, I'm not sure if he's found one yet, but this particular church might be a potential candidate that he might want to add to his list, judging by his prior church membership.

5. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What a disgraceful reckless act of utter stupidity. Only confirms my opinion that churches are largely run by fools.

However, what I find interesting is how conservatives only seem to get really worked up by perceived acts of racism by black people. Especially recently. I wonder why?

6. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I post titles of articles, not BS titles like "Let's set up the white guy". Do I post threads title "Southern rednecks beat up homo"? This is a fine topic to post about. But why start it by pissing people off? This kind of thing is NOT helpful to the discussion:

What purpose does that serve?

Precisely. I could not agree more. It was absolutely a stupid thing to do.

Hmm... gosh, I wonder?

7. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

What I find interesting is how liberals only seem to get worked up over perceived acts of racism when it involves members of the tea party movement.

8. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

It was a set up attempt, clear and simple. So I don't see anything wrong with the title.

And of course, I've never seen you make disparaging remarks about the South or Texas, have I? But I'm sure that when you make those comments, that it is VERY helpful to the discussion.:rolleyes:

9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

When they deny the officer was injured, because they saw him "walk" away means they don't understand the back problems that can lead to spasms.

Guess they don't watch enough sports to see players yanked for spasms that start weeks after an injury.

Sometimes your job can aggravate a minor injury leading to worse problems. Which still means you are the root cause of the injury.

And you can't bench every cop for a paper cut, because it "might" lead to infection.

For the injury alone the idiot should be arrested, even if he ends up with community service. The I didn't mean for that to happen, is a poor defense.

10. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Hmm..so two wrongs make a right then? And since when do liberals ONLY get worked up over racism in the TEA Party, which BTW does exist.

Yes, I most certainly have. However, those places exhibit a pattern, don't they? And I think it's quite helpful to discuss and make disparaging comments about those places- they have serious problems that they don't seem to be addressing, and until people get loud about it, they will continue as they are.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Hmm. Is it because they're the most visible manifestation of reactionary politics in the country at the moment? Do you know who Mark Williams is? Why is David Duke defending the Tea Party? We've all seen the signs at the marches. The burden of explanation and also the historical record is a heavy weight on conservatives. Lee Atwater, the Southern Strategy, it's all there for those who care to know or see.

Some of us are better at hearing the dog whistles than those who they're intended for... and fully understand why those who are pushing these messages outwards are doing so.

12. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

Condescend much?

Sorry. That may have been a daft comment. I probably fall outside of the category of those sharp enough to hear the dog whistle.

13. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I would hope not.

14. citizenzen macrumors 65816

What a terrible idea.

At my next party I should pretend to have sex in the bathroom with some strange woman... just to see how my wife reacts.

15. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

You're kidding right? Please tell me you're kidding.

If not, reality is not your friend, take a look at PRSI.

16. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

It's interesting how consistently the accusations of 'reverse racism' have cropped up in recent months, isn't it?

What I find interesting is how the conservatives ignore what predicated this unbelievably stupid idea in the first place, which was the beating of a Brandon Johnson by police officers. The stunt was ill-conceived and those who knew about it beforehand should have their heads examined, but this story wasn't about race really, instead, it was an attempt to evaluate how police officers react in a potential violent situation can be just as violent and dangerous as the people they're trying to stop.

Again, it was a foolish stunt, but the racism here is highlighted for culture wars nonsense—and another game of "Who's More Hypocritical! The Home Edition."

17. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

A. (Insert non-white and/or non-male group of choice here) is Good.
    B. Therefore, anyone who mentions anything ungood about said group must be:
    C. Bad.

18. tunerX Suspended

tunerX

That is just plain wrong. The officer went to talk to the church. If he had been racist, I think he would not have gone.

Very bad judgment on the part of the people who set this up.

19. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Thanks, maybe you could put this on a card and laminate it.

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

When I can find the time.

21. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

I might have missed it (I read the article quickly, and I didn't watch the video) - but is the pastor of the church even black? I didn't notice that in the article.

In the end, it doesn't matter - it was a dumb and irresponsible thing to set up. The race of the person who set it up isn't altogether relevant, IMO.

22. Shivetya thread starter macrumors 65816

Well someone has to, we call out our own just fine, the liberals cry racism when the breeze changes direction because they cannot think outside of the tiny little box they put themselves in.

Stuff like what this preacher and his congregation did are the real reasons racial strife still persists, they are actively trying to make it. You can bet that if the officer had done "ANYTHING" questionable these jerks would have been jumping up and down as if they were vindicated, all the while never letting on that it was staged. When the officer did as he was trained they lost.

They aren't just looking for things to be offended by, they are creating them. It is far easier to create an enemy outside of your community than to accept the fact a worse one lives within.

23. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

That far too simple an explanation. As stupid as this was, they were most likely looking to test this guy to see if they could really trust the police in their area. I don't know the particular history of race relations in Indianapolis, but I would venture to guess it's pretty bad. Make no mistake- this was very stupid on their part, but it's hardly a one way street.

When my sister-in-law panics over my niece dating a black guy (in neighboring bastion of liberalism, Ohio :rolleyes:), you can't tell me that racism is all the fault of blacks. That's completely disingenuous.

24. MattSepeta macrumors 65816

MattSepeta

UGHHHHH

This has got to be one of the most idiotic things I have heard of people doing.

This culture warrior Harrington needs to be done away with- ""Their job is to protect and serve, and even though they have families and children, that they don't put any regard to their safety," Harrington said. "I don't think it was dangerous because it was in a controlled environment.""

What an imbecile. He is so full of his own self-righteousness that he wound up injuring a civil servant in the process. I bet he feels totally justified too.

""I can basically say we didn't do anything wrong," Gupton said Friday evening."" Idiotic parks manager getting paid by the government ends up ok-ing a plan to induce a fake fight to hopefully "gotcha" a white cop.

After the guy told the cop it was staged, the cop should have tazered him in the eyeballs on account of reckless stupidity. I wonder if Gupton would have thought "we didn't do anything wrong" if the cop had been even more seriously injured? What if he had broken his neck falling off the stage? This cop puts his life on the line day in and day out protecting ungrateful citizens like these twerps who go out of their way to put the cop in danger for absolutely no reason other than a moronic attempt to validate their own paranoid race-wars mindset. When will people get over it?

Ugghhh :(

25. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Of course they did something wrong. And you can bet there will most likely be charges filed. At least, I would hope so.