Black Republicans Divided Over GOP's Shunning Of Black Voter Forum

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Sep 21, 2007.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2007/09/20/black-republicans-sharply_n_65156.html

Naive isn't exactly the word I'd use, but do they just not even care anymore?

2. Queso macrumors G4

Well, the GOP's plans are probably already in place to remove the black and hispanic voters from the register before November 2008. Why bother chasing votes that will never be cast?

3. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

I think it's a little indicative of their voter base that even being seen talking to black people is more of a political minus than it is a positive.

4. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Hmmm, I didn't notice the democratic candidates making the same sort of appearance in front of the Christian Coalition or any of the organizations for the families of veterans either. :rolleyes:

5. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Hmm, I don't remember the Christian Coalition or veterans organizations having a past that involved segregation, Jim Crow, and racism received from white people. I also seem to remember that the party that is most hostile to race issues and race relations is the Republican Party. Maybe next time you can make a better comparison. :rolleyes:

6. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Really? Maybe you should bone up on your history. Which party fought civil rights legislation? Who's got a KKK rep currently in the senate? What party did Abraham Lincoln belong to?

The democratic party and the poverty pimps both white and black have done more to keep blacks enslaved than any policy the republican party supports.

7. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

Right, lets all sit around and equate the Democratic Party of today to the one of years ago, and lets do the same with the Republican Party.

The parties underwent an ideological shift. You know it, and everyone knows it. Don't try to pull that as your trump card.

8. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

KKK Byrd is STILL a senator. What are you talking about?

9. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

Not exactly a logical argument. They had scheduled a debate, between Republican candidates only, at a historically black college. This is a venue, not a political organization. Are you suggesting that the Christian Coalition would offer to host a debate between Democratic presidential candidates orthat such a debate was at one time scheduled and then cancelled?

Try again with a more plausible argument.

10. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

Ok, they actually have a scheduling conflict whereas the remaining candidates don't and will be there with bells on to debate. Enjoy.

Perhaps the frontrunning candidates realize the value of these early campaign period debates.

11. halfprep455 macrumors regular

halfprep455

I'm going to go ahead and give you a really quick history lesson. The Republican party of Lincolns day is completely different then the Republican party today. When the Republican party was founded all the way through the Nixon admin, the Republican party was considered to be the moderate or centrist party. On the liberals were Democrats mostly from the North East, West Coast, and parts of the Mid-West. The conservatives were mostly Democrats from the South East. During the Johnson admin, the Liberal Democrats gained control of the Democratic party and the Conservative Southern democrats actually split from the Democratic party and formed their own quasi-party known as the Dixiecrats. After the Carter admin, most of the Southern Democrats were upset with Carter and most of them joined the republican party to support Reagan. That how the Ultra-Right gained control of the Republican party. That is why the base of that party is now people like Pat Robertson, Robert Grant, the Christian Coalition, and Bush.

12. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

You skipped over the part about who tried to block civil rights legislation. You also failed to explain why a lot of very successful blacks are card carrying members of the republican party. Walter E. Williams? J.C. Watts? Justice Thomas? I guess those are aberations. You're welcome to write them and explain why they don't know what's good for them.

Interesting how I haven't heard anything from the religious right lately. Bush is definitely not an ultra right conservative by any stretch of the imagination and neither are any of the candidates running for the upcoming election.

13. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

There are what, 40+ million black people in the US? Of course there are going to be many (although they happen to be a very small percentage of the overall total) who are Republicans. Also, are you implying that these three people know what's best for Black people as a whole?

14. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't think any member of congress knows what's best for anyone in the country.

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

Wait...there are black republicans?!

News to me!
    ;)

16. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

Actually they have appeared at pro-vet events, and all of them constantly profess their religious beliefs. But the CC didn't ask them. Had they, and the Dems snubbed them, then you might have a point.

They were invited, and yet again (like they have with the other minority debates), they said no, which makes them look bad with those minorities.

They need all the help they can get according to recent numbers, and this snubbing isn't going to do it.

17. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Hmm, I didn't notice the GOP candidates making the same sort of appearances in front of enviornmental groups or social justice types. I suppose that proves the opposite of whatever it is you think you're trying to prove here.