Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jolsson01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
Hi! I have upgraded my graphics card to a Asus gtx 970 and now when I try to boot into windows on my second hard drive, windows boots but the screen is still black. Is there something wrong with the display driver on windows? I have tried to reinstall windows again but since I cannot see anything I can't do anything.

Demigod Mac

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Does it show the blue Windows 10 logo and then go black for 5 minutes, then the login screen finally shows up?

Disabling the App Readiness service fixes that issue.

thornslack

macrumors 6502
Nov 16, 2013
You may need to install your old gpu then install nvidia drivers so that the 970 can work. Windows can on occasion download a basic nvidia driver on its own given some time, and on a reboot may then display a screen. It's always better to then go and download the proper driver from nvidia. What card were you using prior to the 970?

Reactions: crjackson2134

h9826790

macrumors P6
Apr 3, 2014
Hong Kong
1) Do you mean that you can see Windows boot, but then goes black?

2) Why cannot re-install Windows? Just insert the Windows installation disc, hold C during boot, then you can start the Windows installation. And YES, you can see the screen. I've tried that with my non flashed 1080Ti.

jolsson01

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 21, 2017
I have now tried to reinstall windows with the new graphics card but now when I try it I only get a white cursor blinking. Nothing more

chacheebuns

macrumors newbie
Jan 24, 2018
Sorta having the same issue I believe. Installed new 1070ti and boots into Sierra no problem. Trying to boot into windows 10 and all I get is a black screen. No windows logo or anything. Not sure if I have to also install nvidia drivers in windows prior but would still have difficulty because nvidia software requires the gpu be installed. Any help?

Squuiid

macrumors 68000
Oct 31, 2006
Sorta having the same issue I believe. Installed new 1070ti and boots into Sierra no problem. Trying to boot into windows 10 and all I get is a black screen. No windows logo or anything. Not sure if I have to also install nvidia drivers in windows prior but would still have difficulty because nvidia software requires the gpu be installed. Any help?
If enabled, RDP into Windows and install the NVIDIA driver.
If not, put old card back in, enable RDP, then swap in NVIDIA card and RDP in to install the driver ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.