Black screen - usual fixes tried

Stevo79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Hi. The other day whilst running my MacBook Pro (early 2012) the screen went black. I was plugged in to the mains power at the time.
I followed a guide to complete the SMC reset and this didn’t work.
I was unable to restore the screen using the reset NVRAM as well.
After several attempts the screen came on for around 1 hour. I found a separate guide mentioning a 7 second hold of left option and right shift key. This seemed to work on a couple of occasions but only lasted until I was past the login screen. I noticed that after the Mac is powered down the same windows / programmes would be open in the few occasions I was successful. Now unable to get screen to work at all. Any help will be very gratefully received.

Stevo79

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 29, 2020
Hi. Nothing on external monitor. Not exposed to liquids and not dropped to the best of my knowledge. I can get the screen to come on for a few seconds then it chimes and goes black again.
- - Post merged: - -

Are you able to see anything with an external monitor? Was it exposed to liquids or dropped?
Hi. Nothing on external monitor. Not exposed to liquids and not dropped to the best of my knowledge. I can get the screen to come on for a few seconds then it chimes and goes black again.

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Since nothing appears on the internal or external screen on a consistent basis, it's possible that there is a problem with a component on the main logic board.

Have you removed the bottom cover to inspect to signs of corrosion or damage? Be sure to disconnect the battery as soon as you remove the bottom cover.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.