Black Streak on back of white 3G with Bodyguardz applied

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by Evman101, Jul 27, 2008.

1. Evman101 macrumors member

So this appeared on the back of my iphone the day after I applied the Bodyguardz.

So far I've been pretty happy with the bodyguardz, but this is annoying. Do you guys think that it's an actual stain on the white back or just on the inside of the Bodyguardz cover? I'm afraid to take it off and see because it's my second back piece that I've applied, and I don't have another to apply.

Sorry that the pics aren't perfectly clear - the streak is more prominent in real life, but I don't have another camera to take a picture of the back, so I had to use a mirror.

Attached Files:

2. pflau macrumors 6502

Was it there at the beginning and you thought it would just disappear as the film dried or did it just develop??

3. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

It just developed a day or so after application. I know that it's kinda hard to see, but it zigzags from the iphone logo to the apple logo.

4. pflau macrumors 6502

OK, thing number one, is it a bubble where the solution has somehow run into the center and create some kind of shadow??? If it is a bubble wait another day and see if it gets better. It WILL disappear.

Thing number two. You CAN INDEED remove and reapply the skin. You will NOT stretch the skin if you are careful in removing it. The only thing that would stetch the skin is excessive force and excessive heat.

Do you have the original backing sheet?? If you don't you can get a backing sheet from say a Avery label.

If you decide to remove and reapply the skin let me know and I will post how. I am speaking from experience.

5. uicandrew macrumors 6502a

if that is a bubble, nothing to worry about. otherwise, just apply the other bodyguardz in the package and send the original back for a replacement

6. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

This reminds me very much of what happened with my first generation iPhone and a BSE (BestSkinsEver) skin.

After I put the iPhone into a black leather slimline pouch, it somehow picked up black dye from the pouch. I'm assuming the iPhone must have been damp at the time although I didn't notice it. Perhaps the leather pouch was defective. Whatever I did, I couldn't remove the dye so eventually I removed the BSE. To my relief the iPhone underneath was pristine and unmarked.

You haven't put it in a leather case whilst damp have you?

My advice, for your own peace of mind, is to remove the skin so that you know where the stain is. If it's on the skin, get a new one. If it's on the iPhone itself, get a new one of those under warranty.

7. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

It doesn't appear to be a bubble as it runs the length of the back, and there was no bubble there after I applied it. I had put it in my pocket not to shortly after I applied though, maybe that could be where the streaking came from?

How would I go about getting replacement Bodyguardz? Do I have to send the old one back (seems kinda pointless), or can I just call/order new ones?

8. pflau macrumors 6502

You can call/order new ones but unless you send your original ones back you would not get more replacements.

9. grokphone macrumors newbie

by any chance did you put it on top of the apple black polishing cloth the phone came with? same thing happened to me, think there might be a connection.

10. Bleh5 macrumors regular

I had the same thing on my MacBook Air. I applied the film on the trackpad/clicker button and left a black microfiber cloth on their to protect the keyboard. The purplish dye from the cloth came off on the skin. Nothing I did removed it, so I just got rid of the skin. I believe it was a BSE skin for the MacBook Air.

11. Evman101 thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I rested it on that after I applied... that could be it.

12. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

So it looks as if it is dye from another object as I suspected.