black streak on my iPod screen!!!! is this normal?

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
is this a problem or is it normal?
there appears to be a black streak running down the middle of the LCD display of my ipod. i can't see it when looking directly at it but from the side or an angle i can. i don't have the contrast way low or high...probably where anyone else would have it set to. any thoughts?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
continuum said:
is this a problem or is it normal?
there appears to be a black streak running down the middle of the LCD display of my ipod. i can't see it when looking directly at it but from the side or an angle i can. i don't have the contrast way low or high...probably where anyone else would have it set to. any thoughts?
Is this a brand new iPod?

wide

macrumors 6502a
May 17, 2004
NYC
Is the streak one pixel wide? If it is, you probably have a defective screen. I would take it to an AppleStore and have them replace it. Since you have the 4G, your warranty will still cover it.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
yeah it's new. the thing is, like i said, you could pick it up and look at it and it looks fine. it's when you look at the screen from an angle. there are not visible pixels, just this wierd, almost oily streak. it resembles, somewhat, what oil looks like on water as far as the colors go.

Inkmonkey

macrumors 6502
Oct 2, 2003
Calgary
My iPod has this as well. Almost has a rainbow kind of look when in certain light. I have been told on this board that it is perfectly normal and typical of LCDs.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
Inkmonkey said:
My iPod has this as well. Almost has a rainbow kind of look when in certain light. I have been told on this board that it is perfectly normal and typical of LCDs.
If that is normal, apple let us down. Do all g4's have this? I ordered a 20gig about 2 days ago. I hope mine doesn't have a line. I'll complain.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
jackieo - direct sunlight would not be an issue because it has never sat in direct sunlight. this i know for sure...it's like i gave birth to the thing and it's my baby. or if you are saying it is only visible in direct sunlight that is not the case either.

grapes - it's not a "line" like pixels are displayed. you wouldn't look at it and say "what's with the line, dude?" it's visible from an angle down the middle of the screen almost in line with the headphone jack. kinda floats.

macdude - i'll post a pic if i can. i honestly don't think it will appear on the photo due to the angle of the shot.

inkmonkey - your response sounds almost valid. now that you mention it...it kinda looks like what happens to an LCD screen when you push on it with your finger and everything gets blurry. this does not affect the actual resolution of the display though.

i'll see if i can snap a pic...

wwooden

macrumors 68000
Jul 26, 2004
Burlington, VT
you can answer your own question

I think you know this is not normal......if it was, no one would be buying iPod's. Obviously, there are always defects that happen. It is usually problems that people post about here, not when things are fine and running perfect.

applemacdude

macrumors 68040
Mar 26, 2001
Over The Rainbow
wwooden said:
I think you know this is not normal......if it was, no one would be buying iPod's. Obviously, there are always defects that happen. It is usually problems that people post about here, not when things are fine and running perfect.
An Apple employee told me this was completely normal and refused to replace it. I had called Apple the night before and they told me to bring it in for replacement and the apple dude shut me down. He called me a liar when he said he had the transcripts of the conversation. He refused to show them to me sayin it was employees only, thats why apple support sucks.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
i have a picture of it but am having problems posting it. it says that the file can only be 100kb?! i've seen others post full pages of pics. what do i do?

iAppleFan

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2004
applemacdude said:
An Apple employee told me this was completely normal and refused to replace it. I had called Apple the night before and they told me to bring it in for replacement and the apple dude shut me down. He called me a liar when he said he had the transcripts of the conversation. He refused to show them to me sayin it was employees only, thats why apple support sucks.
FWIW my friend, you have no right to view the transcripts of the conversation. The only way you could view them, would to be have your lawyer get involved and a law suit be filed. It's called the Privacy Act......and Apple support sucks, because they ticked tyou off, not because they are unable to do their job. As a consumer, you should do yourself a favor and read the terms and conditions of a contract/warranty before you purchase.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
applemacdude said:
I'd keep calling and complaining. Eventually they will fix it.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
it's funny where this conversation went...i don't even have applecare on the ipod. i bought it at best buy and i have the extended warranty on it so i could just take it back and be done with it...unless best buy tries to jerk me around. anyone can help me with getting the picture posted?

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
continuum said:
it's funny where this conversation went...i don't even have applecare on the ipod. i bought it at best buy and i have the extended warranty on it so i could just take it back and be done with it...unless best buy tries to jerk me around. anyone can help me with getting the picture posted?
So sorry. What format are you using? You can get a good size jpeg under 30k.

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
jpeg. i have an image i want to post right here in a message...do i do the "manage attachments" option? it's 530kb though. can i compress it or something?

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
i think lower res would prohibit seeing this streak that i'm talking about....suprised it even shows up on the picture. i don't have photoshop. new to mac as of a couple months ago...still acquiring software. where are you at "outside philly"? I'm from Harrisburg...been in Cali for 2 yrs though.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
continuum said:
i think lower res would prohibit seeing this streak that i'm talking about....suprised it even shows up on the picture. i don't have photoshop. new to mac as of a couple months ago...still acquiring software. where are you at "outside philly"? I'm from Harrisburg...been in Cali for 2 yrs though.
I'm from Ambler. It is the Fort Washington Turn Pike exit.

Edit: is Turn Pike one word?

continuum

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 22, 2004
Beautiful Lake Tahoe
is there any way i can just make the picture smaller instead of full screen?

what side of philly would that be...not familiar with ambler. i know conshohocken, west chester, and all those suburbs. used to go see concerts at the tweeter center all the time. i had a friend who used to live on the hill behind the art museum, too.

grapes911

Moderator emeritus
Jul 28, 2003
Citizens Bank Park
continuum said:
is there any way i can just make the picture smaller instead of full screen?
Um...I really don't know. Sorry.

continuum said:
what side of philly would that be...not familiar with ambler. i know conshohocken, west chester, and all those suburbs. used to go see concerts at the tweeter center all the time. i had a friend who used to live on the hill behind the art museum, too.
I'm just 15 mins north of Conshohocken.