Black to Space Grey... Feels like it's lost a bit its badassness

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by syd430, Sep 20, 2013.

?

Which colour do you you prefer?

1. Black (5)

36 vote(s)
    46.8%
  2. Space Grey (5S)

41 vote(s)
    53.2%
  1. syd430, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2013

syd430 Guest

After a day and a half of use with the 5S, I went back to my old 5 to copy a few things over and couldn't help but feel that the 5 looked more... monolithic? menacing? Really hard to find the right word...The grey of the 5S some how makes it look heavier, less at ease, busy. The two-tone look worked for the 4/ 4S, but somehow doesn't work as well with the 5S IMO.

Yes , it's possible that part of the reason that they made the move was to make scuffs around the chamfered edge less obvious, but it seems that the overall aesthetic has suffered as a result.

Black iPhone 5:

[​IMG]

2. Robster3 macrumors 68000

The grey doesnt show smudges on the back like the slate. Looks more professional to me anyway.

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

Like the space grey much better than the slate. I didn't expect to but seeing it in person makes all the difference.

4. syd430 Guest

Are you sure it's not just because it's fresh and new? I had the same feeling at first, but by the second day of use it was starting to wear off, and going back to the black made me miss it.

5. IndoX macrumors regular

After seeing the space gray in person I MUCH prefer the space gray. The contrast of the gray edges make it the most beautiful phone out of the three. I came into the store to looks at the phones before making my decision. I originally intended to get the gold iPhone but after seeing the space gray I'm gonna go with it.

In my opinion it's the best out of all the colors.

6. bcaslis macrumors 68020

No, I've had the black for a year and I was used to it and liked it. And frankly the pictures of the space grey did not look good to me at all. But seeing it in person changed my mind. It looks much classy and upscale compared to the slate. The polished edge just look much better similar to the silver and white version.

7. user-name-here macrumors 65816

Space Grey >>> Scuffed Slate.

All day everyday.

8. diamornte macrumors regular

Haven't yet seen it in person, but space gray reminds me of Macbook Pro's colors. It is more pro-looking...

9. RichardC300 macrumors 65816

RichardC300

I like slate better but I have yet to see the space gray in person.

10. FrankieG889D macrumors member

Space grey is the best color of the three, even better than the black. Looks heavier? Feels the same.

11. syd430 Guest

My iPhone 5 is slightly scuffed after a year of constant use, but it doesn't look any worse imo.

12. djtech42 macrumors 65816

djtech42

The gray of the space gray is too contrasting. The sides don't look bad, but the back is somewhat hideous IMO. Haven't seen it in real life though, so maybe I'm wrong.

The darker gray of the slate fits better with the black glass parts of the phone. And it does look badass. If I get the 5S, I think I will go with gold or white.

13. iF34R macrumors 6502a

iF34R

I'm liking the grey.... a little more than the black.

14. Matt8045 macrumors regular

I'm enjoying it. Coming off a white 5. Hopefully this one fares better with no case!

15. Will2145 macrumors 6502

Will2145

just saw the new grey irl and personally I'm not to fond of it... do not like the colour at all.

16. syd430, Sep 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 20, 2013

syd430 Guest

I think the issue is more with when you're actually using the phone. I find the chamfered edge that runs around the phone on my 5S more distracting when looking at from head-on, wheres as on my 5 everything else but the screen fades away. It's the same reason I never go for white.

----------

Not sure how you came to that conclusion. My 5S looks just as smudged on the back as my 5 (if not more). I've been using the 5S for more than a day. Either way smudging has never really been a problem for me on the 5 anyway.

17. F123D macrumors 68040

F123D

Space grey looks awesome. Wish it was an option last year before I returned my slate iPhone.

18. petsounds macrumors 65816

I call it Office Space Grey. Probably great for stuffy corporations though.

19. syd430 Guest

Yes is definitely more safe/pedestrian.

20. RTWG macrumors regular

RTWG

I love my space grey phone – it also reminds me of other Apple products like the iMac, MacBook Pro, and even the original iPhone.

21. Richie2000 macrumors 6502

Richie2000

I'm loving the Space Grey. Wasn't keen when I saw the pictures online but in the flesh it rocks! Personally, I prefer it to the Slate.