Black Woman Endured 8 Days In A Psych Ward Because NYC Cops Didn't Believe A BMW Was Hers!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by LIVEFRMNYC, Sep 17, 2015.

1. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

This story is just pure &^%#^$!!!!!!! I hope she gets a large amount from her case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/kamilah-brock-nypd-bmw_55f2c9aae4b063ecbfa3e60d

2. AlliFlowers Contributor

AlliFlowers

The more stories I read like this, the more I am convinced that judgement has gone out the window and that nobody (mainly LEOs) are using common sense.

3. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

Par for the course for the New York Police Army. This type of stuff happens all the time there.

4. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Really, all the time? :rolleyes:

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

In addition to granting her a huge legal settlement, some within the NYPD should lose their job over this and the doctor who committed her should lose their license to practice medicine in NY.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Good grief. Words fail me.

What a terrifying, atrociously unjust and appalling thing to happen - to be made to happen - to anyone. This is an outrage.

So, black Americans - especially black American women - cannot assert own and drive BMWs, work as a banker, and have POTUS follow them on Twitter…….(even if it is true), without running some risk of arrest and being force fed a cocktail of medication designed to sedate delusional and aggressive individuals.

While I have long thought the US a perhaps excessively litigation happy society, in this case, I hope she takes them for everything they have got.

7. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

Sad, a simple phone call/computer search to DMV or the bank she works for would have cleared everything up.

Even if she wins, no one is going to be held accountable. The police and doctors involved will get a slap on the wrist and the tax payers are going to end up footing the bill.

8. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

There has to be another side to this story, and I'm quite anxious to hear it. Although I probably won't for some time.

9. 556fmjoe macrumors 65816

The article makes little to no effort to present any facts or any other accounts of the story other than hers. I'm withholding judgment until something other than her accusations is presented.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

http://m.snopes.com/2015/09/14/kam-brock-nypd-incident/

11. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Not surprising that a few here have gone all knee-jerky in judging the police harshly in this case. No doubt there's another side of the story.

And obviously Pix 11 is nothing more than a tabloid program. Nice sympathy music playing in the background as she tells her story.

12. Populism macrumors regular

Populism

How DARE you not take the article at face value? Threads like this exist for the sole purpose of dropping in and saying nothing more than "Yet another reason Americans are idiots" or "All cops are racists".

Thanks for the link. Quite interesting.

13. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Something is fishy. The story of her saying the cops did not believe she owned a BMW because she is black seems extremely far fetch. If she truly owned the car the name on her license would match that name on the registration of the car. Case Closed. As for her being held in the mental hospital that certainly raises questions but we are only hearing one side of the story. Until we hear the other side no need to jump to conclusions.

14. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Jesus did nobody learn anything from "hands up don't shoot". The youtube viral video is already in circulation and we only have half the story.

15. Populism, Sep 17, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2015

Populism macrumors regular

Populism

Cracks me up - when an African American executes two people live on air, faxes a 22-page racist manifesto to a news outlet, and then turns the gun on himself, there are calls to "look at the broader picture", to remember "nothing happens in a vacuum", that "there must be more to this story".

But when an unsubstantiated - likely untrue - account of white racism in the form of disbelief of BMW ownership accompanied by a forced week in a psych ward - well hells bells, just another example of racist white american cops, ain't it?! Case closed!

16. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

And this is exactly why there is so much racial tension............ The quickness of dismissive attitudes is mind blowing.

There was no logical reason for this professional to be in a psych ward. But I guess cause she's black, it must be an overreaction. :rolleyes:

17. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

How much do you want to bet the part about her flying off the handle and becoming combative is being conveniently left out? We only have half the story and people are already talking about cops losing their jobs. The quickness to ruin someones life with half a story is mind blowing.

18. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Either she's lying, the police are lying, or they're all idiots. But guess what? It's for this very reason that we have dash and body cams now. Let's find out!

19. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

Here's what's gonna happen. She's telling a side of the story that maximizes her "Victimhood" right now so it gets picked up and ran with to the max. Everybody loses their mind and screams injustice and racism. Then some more facts creep in and people begin to back off a little. Then when all the facts are out the story turns to...."They didn't have to hold her for 8 days." and in 4 weeks no one is talking about it. In the mean time we've labeled multiple people racists and let that stigma lingered around their neck in an undeserving fashion, but hey who cares, they'll get past it.

20. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

What leads you to accept this story at face value with only one side of the story? Is it your "I hate cops and this story supports my hatred of cops so it must be true" pre-disposition? Utter garbage.

21. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

She might even sell a few more of her songs. :p

22. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Maybe. Regardless of who did what, the fact they threw someone with no prior records of mental illness in a psych ward, and allegedly drugged her up for 8 days without any charges being pressed is suspicious in and of itself.

23. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

Combative? If she was physically combative, they would have charged her for that.

If she was arguing and causing a scene, so freaking what, that's common place at a tow pound.

If they had a legitimate excuse or evidence to place her in a psych ward ....... it would have already been presented.

Until the give a legit excuse, I'm siding with her. In a city like NYC with all the weird people we have, you better be extra ordinary to be thrown in a psych ward.

24. LIVEFRMNYC thread starter macrumors 603

You're right ....... How dare I challenge the police and civil worker's claims. I guessed she was also cured in only 8 days from such mental illness. Yea, that's common ain't it? :rolleyes:

25. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

This is what I'm thinking. She may very well have not been as buttery sweet as she's claiming. But how the hell does an otherwise professional looking woman go from a routine traffic stop one day to 8 day stay in a psych ward the next without some really serious, completely verifiable crap going down from her end?

...then released, with nary a word said.