Black Women Less Attractive.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by AP_piano295, May 23, 2011.

1. AP_piano295, May 23, 2011
    Last edited: May 23, 2011

AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/...e-less-attractive-than-whites-and-asians.html

It seems many are super pissed by these findings and at the psychologist who ran the study in.

I think it's bs, I've looked at the study and while the results might not be what people want to hear they seem sound enough. Reality / Public Opinion =/= what everyone wants the world to be.

Saying that doesn't make you a racist or a practicer of "pseudo science".

EDIT:
    This article convincingly suggests that improper manipulation of the data did indeed play a significant factor in these results. It would seem some of the outrage is justified though poorly expressed (IMO).

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog...ractive-our-independent-analysis-the-a?page=2

2. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

From the article.

So in general everyone's about average?

Interesting, but also silly that someone felt the need to objectively classify a subjective subject.

3. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Sensationalist but the possible cause seems reasonable. He did say the black men were generally more attractive, probably for the same reason. One day maybe we will learn to look beyond physical beauty and skin color.

4. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

You're forgetting that racism these days has been constrained to mean anything remotely critical of any minority, or anything that makes them upset.

I've been following this elsewhere; they guy is likely to be Watsoned (or Summers'd, if you prefer).

I remember some time back reading about a study done by OKCupid that concluded that of all demographic groups, black women had the lowest success rate of finding a partner.

Maybe one day we'll learn to stop sticking our fingers in our ears when confronted with the reality that Nature is a harsh mistress.

5. miloblithe, May 23, 2011

miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

6. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Correct.

May this thread suffer an early death.

7. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

Yep. Exactly. Different races have different physical characteristics. Does saying that make me racist? Right or wrong, ociety places different values on different physical characteristics. Does saying that make me a racist? Due to these two facts, certain races may be mathematically 'less attractive' than other races. These things aren't remotely racist, but I think the concern for many is that the information will be used for racist purposes.

Imagine for a second that someone came out with a study proving that the average African has a measurably lower IQ than than the average European (this is an imaginary situation). Reasonable people should know that it's not necessarily remotely racist to test and post such results if they are unbiased, but the results may be used by unsavory individuals to expand the appeal of a sickening racist worldview. Because of this, some would rightfully begin to suggest the study should be stopped. Reasonable. Other less moral people though would begin to question the motives of such a study and te author/scientist responsible would inevitably be chastised by society even though what he/she did was not remotely racist in and of itself. You could say the study was stupid, worthless, damaging to society, etc. but to call it 'racist' would be a direct lie... the kind of lie told over and over again in today's Democrat politics.

Heck, in today's society, you can't even criticize Obama without being labeled a racist. You don't dare question affirmative action without being labeled a racist. Heck, Newt Gingrich (like him or hate him) was accused of racism the other day simply for saying Obama was the most successful food stamp president in recent times. Because people on the left thought said that 'foodstamps' have racial connotation.

Nobody can take words for their literal meaning, they have to look deeper, attempt to find motives that don't usually exist. And why not, it's VERY good politics!

8. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Considering that this guy's an "evolutionary psychologist" with a degree in marketing, you should probably take anything he has to say with a grain of salt. [/ad hominem]

In all seriousness, I don't think his research was all that conclusive and the field of evolutionary psychology such as it is isn't exactly known for its excellent research or conclusions that do anything other than reinforce certain convenient stereotypes at worst and are ridiculously reductionist at best.

Also remember, Kanazawa is a repeat offender as it were. He was previously noted for saying that sub-Saharan Africans had poor health because they lacked intelligence, not because they were poor. His ability to distinguish causation and correlation is suspect.

9. 482214 macrumors 6502

Agreed

I question the need for this thread and the motives behind it.

10. CorvusCamenarum, May 23, 2011

CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

Umm, such studies have already been done. I've talked about them here before.

Racism does not equal race realism.

Smarter people tend to live longer

11. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

12. fivepoint macrumors 65816

fivepoint

I feel like I might have read something about such studies before. Personally, I think such studies are a waste of time and do nothing more than split us further apart. I'm quite uninterested in the study of 'groups' - care much more about individuals. We don't get rights as groups, we get them as individuals, from our creator.

That being said, such studies being undertaken... in no way implies racism alone.

13. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

Link? we have granted rights to each other. There is no creator.

14. (marc) macrumors 6502a

(marc)

Agreed. There actually have been studies about race and intelligence. According to Wikipedia, there has been a US test that claimed blacks have an average IQ of 85 while Jews have an average IQ of 113 - a difference of 28!

The article also mentions the reason these kind of studies are so dangerous, which is the stereotype threat.

Why? There's no reason I'm aware of that these studies should be wrong.

15. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

This sounds like pure persecution fantasy. I've criticized Obama and no one has called me a racist.

16. DeaconGraves macrumors 65816

DeaconGraves

I agree and disagree. I think the study of various groups and societies (how they communicate, what they value, what is attractive) can provide us a lot of understanding about human nature and why we react and behave the way we do. In a lot of ways these studies can actually show how two cultures divided by thousands of miles and hundreds of years of culture might actually be more similar than we ever realized. You can't make those findings simply by looking at individuals (especially when those individuals are undeniably shaped by the society around him or her).

That being said, this same concept can be used in cases like this to produce results that seem to produce nothing positive or constructive.

17. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

I only had to read two paragraphs to know it was garbage.

Perception of attractiveness is both learned and genetically encoded. It also has mental biases applied.

First, consider the fact that Whites and Asians outnumber the population of blacks in the world by hefty numbers. Next, consider the number of whites, Asians and blacks who would have had access to this online poll and it will be even more weighted towards whites and Asians. Races tend to have an innate bias for their own when considering attractiveness.

Second, consider the psychology behind attractiveness. Men tend to find Asian women attractive because of their slight frames and perception of being very submissive (thus appealing to their male predisposition to domination and ownership). The same is not true for Asian men. You'll even see jokes along the lines of "we have to keep them so they can keep making Asian women."

On the other side of the gender coin, there seems to be a fair amount of white females who find black men attractive. While I'll admit I don't know the psychological reasons behind this, I do know that white men seem to have no special affection for black females that mirrors the favoring of the opposite gender of their own race.

To even begin to take a bite out of this, you need to have a deep questionnaire and image study where you analyze brain activity to hope to understand how we perceive attractiveness.

18. codymac macrumors 6502

It would... if she was black.
    :p

19. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

She lives by the 1% rule...

20. SuperJudge macrumors 6502

SuperJudge

Interesting but immaterial. Kanazawa made a fairly definitive causatory claim in an area where such claims are difficult to defend. I'm not denying that there's some kind of link. What I'm saying is that it's really hard to be a reductionist in the real world since human behavior is so [expletive-deleted] complex.

21. likemyorbs macrumors 68000

likemyorbs

Yeah, that's nurture, not nature! Jews in the US are more likely to be educated than blacks. It's not a genetic thing. If Jews didn't have such a studious culture, those test results would be quite different.

22. AP_piano295 thread starter macrumors 65816

23. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Me too! That's why I always say my **** is over 54 feet long !

24. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It sure does in my book.

Race realism is just the latest way to spin it.