BlackBerry’s Era May Be Ending. Thanks to iPhone.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dogie678, Jul 26, 2010.

1. dogie678 macrumors regular

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/26/business/26views.html?_r=1&partner=rss&emc=rss

2. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

They will continue their slow death untill they actually innovate and change/update their dinosaur looking OS and crappy phones.

3. xraydoc macrumors 604

xraydoc

Fine by me.

The BB was good for instant push email, but pretty much horrible for everything else. And even the email had to be pretty much plain text; HTML email would never be formatted correctly.

I think the one advantage the BB platform still has is that it has tons of options for corporate IT lock-down, corporate SMS logging, remote use of corporate firewalls, etc. Its security is still tops.

Companies with a lot of classified information passing across their mobile devices will likely stay with BB until other systems give them similar security options.

4. rans0m00 macrumors 6502

Yep RIM had the IT managers dream but then never went any further. Was only a matter of time. I need to do more reading but will corporate users get more reliable email than we do? My push mail takes quite a while to notify me.

5. samcraig macrumors P6

I believe everything Apple quotes the media. EVERYTHING.

6. Wicked1 macrumors 68040

Wicked1

Palm OS is good but needs a good device however I think it may be way too late for them, as well as Microsoft's Mobile 7, they are trying to get to the party with a new car that lacks enough power to get them there soon enough.

RIM had their days, but since they decided not to improve and Android has blown out and iPhone is still popular, they have a lot of catching up to do because everyone I know that has a BB are starting to upgrade to either iPhones or Android based phones.

See everyone wants to compare everything to the iPhone but how can you, the iPhone is one phone on one carrier (AT&T) and it is outselling almost everything else, thus Android is like a rash it is spread all over however I do not think people have taken it as an iPhone killer.

Take a poll for those who can not get AT&T service, I bet if they could they would drop Sprint, Verizon, etc in a heartbeat for an iPhone on AT&T or if the iPhone goes to other carriers I am sure they will all buy them, and not much else.

7. booch221 macrumors newbie

Why not just adopt Android?

Couldn't RIM just use Android as the OS on the Blackberry? If you can't lick 'em, join 'em!

8. illutionz macrumors 65816

I really wish they licenses their Blackberry Messenger service to other mobile OSes...

9. mlts22 macrumors 6502a

The last bastion for Blackberries is the fact that the phones offer tight security, where the memory card contents are encrypted, the phones are remotely wipe-able, and if a Blackberry doesn't see a network signal, after a bit it will remotely wipe.

The iPhone doesn't have all these security features, but it is gaining them.

10. BeyondtheTech macrumors 68020

BeyondtheTech

LOL, imagine if some iPhones don't get a signal, they'll get a remote wipe. Who will you thank for that? Apple's design team or AT&T's dead-zone network coverage? :)

11. Smtevo macrumors 6502

This is awesome news!!!! :D (Insert air horn noises here) :D

12. samcraig macrumors P6

Out of curiosity - why is this good news and why the celebration? If you don't use a blackberry - why would you care if they exist or not. And if you do use one, why would you want the hardware to not exist.

13. Neil P macrumors member

Maybe the poster currently has to use one for work and is unimpressed thereby?

14. wirelessmacuser macrumors 68000

wirelessmacuser

It's RIM that is responsible for their problems, and slowing sales. Apple cannot take credit just because they're now in the smartphone business. RIM had a fiercely loyal user base which became tired of waiting for features like a good browser. Then in the last few years, RIM wasted too much time creating so many different handsets. They also let quality and performance of their OS slide. Gradually BlackBerry users went to Android, Palm, & iPhone.

15. Turkeywrap macrumors regular

16. BlondeBuddhist macrumors 6502a

BlondeBuddhist

While I think this is certainly a positive on Apple's checklist, I doubt RIM will "die off". They've been around for a while now, and many of their users are as enthusiastic as we are about our Apple tech.

The email push I had on my Curve 3 years ago (before I joined team apple with my 3G), was the best I've used yet. That being said, it was the only part of having a blackberry that hasn't been trumped by the iphone.

Blonde Buddhist

17. nparmelee macrumors 6502

Not until the iOS or Android adopt whole device encryption and some verification that a remote wipe actually took place. Most IT departments won't allow iPhone s or Android phones in until that is security level is possible.

18. steviem macrumors 68020

steviem

I'm happy about this.

I really hate the way rim makes data go through their servers. I prefer activesync's approach. I would like apple to get some MobileMe technology into the next osx server update though.

19. oakfan52 macrumors newbie

QFT.
    Apple's Enterprise security and support is a joke. Until they fix this RIM will never go away.

20. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

21. whsbuss macrumors 68040

whsbuss

Well coming from a blackberry, my data has grown 100 fold. For the past 6 months my data stats at AT&T was 30-50mb per month. My first month with the IP4 and I'm at 698mb. So if you had any dreams of saving a few dollars a month on the data plan, forget it!!!!

Don't count RIM out. I work in retail and 8 of 10 consumers I see have blackberries. Yesterday a person got a call while I was serving him and I saw it was a 3Gs...... his screen was cracked in 20 places. So I asked him why he didn't upgrade yet to the IP4..... his answer was quick. So many dropped calls that he was going to android or blackberry. He said all his friends were hoping for a good IP4 but are tired of waiting for a "good" phone besides the iphone experience.

22. timerollson macrumors 65816

Blackberry devices are the Palm Treos of our day. Everyone thought that Palm wouldn't go away with their Treo line and well... look at them now. RIM needs to step it up and by that, I mean not releasing ****** sliders and flip phones in 2010 (or is it 2011 because those are still in the pipeline for future devices:rolleyes:).

23. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

MobileMe, Yahoo and now Gmail have push on the iPhone, or do you mean other aspects of BB email like the notification system?

24. Pushkar macrumors 6502a

It won't die, it has a physical keyboard which is very good to use, Dare I say it's better than the iPhone (used to iPhone now so it's great!) and some people just do not like touch screens.