Blackberry PlayBook is the ONLY worthy competitor to the iPad 2!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by whocaresit, Feb 6, 2011.

1. whocaresit, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2011

whocaresit macrumors 6502a

Xoom is just a wanna be iPad, based on Andriod. Nothing revolutionary. Plain old touch screen and uses a common OS shared by other tablets.
    Only does 720P HD Recording. No HDMI.

PlayBook on the other hand is really different from the core, and tablet optimized, built from scratch.
    It runs a custom built powerful QNX OS.

Main advantage: Has touch sensitive bezel to fast switch between apps:

Horizontal bezel swipe from left or right: switch to next or previous apps.
    Bottom bezel swipe up: View all open apps.

3 MP + 5 MP + 1080 P Video recording and HDMI out.
    1 GB RAM. 1 GHZ Dual core processor.

And, Runs Flash 10.1!

We've got a winner. :D

2. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Really? You think the playbook is the winner? The only people who will buy the playbook are business types who already have a blackberry. However, I know too many corporations who are moving away from the blackberry only stance they had which means they won't even corner that market. Further, there are almost no apps for this device yet (blackberry apps won't even work on it). If they add compatibility for Android based apps, then that will help, but there is no guarantee they will.

This is a device they needed to release 2 years ago to stay relevant.

3. Gryzor macrumors 6502

You go ahead and buy what you want. If you want the BB just because it has a few swipe-gestures that could easily be coded into iOS, and because is potentially has better cameras and video out etc., you have at it.

I'll be sticking with iPad 2 because I know that the one thing that makes or breaks a portable device these days is at the top of its game - the app store. You'll be stuck with a tablet that has very few decent apps, and will soon get bored of swiping and taking photos.

4. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I actually prefer the Playbook's UI shown in videos so far over Honeycomb, but a 7" tablet isn't a direct competitor to the iPad I don't think. It does look like RIM can make something out of it if marketed right since there will be people who don't want to carry something as big as the iPad but want a device with a display bigger than a smartphone's.

5. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Don't forget there are a ton of apps coming out before launch. They just haven't announced the numbers yet.

6. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    I dunno. I'd say that most people desire a certain, and not that large, set of apps. Anything more is gravy.

I know that I don't care one whit how many apps are available, if my favorites are not included.

I agree with you.

To me, 10" screens are magazine-sized, and best fit apps designed for that size.

I think 7" devices should always be named something-something-"book", not "tablet", because they really aim for a different visual experience more akin to a large phone or iPod, and a physical feel more akin to a book.

7. Piggie macrumors 604

Piggie

The Blackberry Playbook looks very nice and is an interesting product, but I don't think it's ever going to be mainstream.

I think it's going to be a bit like Blackberry phones and occupy it's own special area.

At the moment it looks far too tied to the Blackberry phone, it does not look like it's going after the general consumer.

8. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Besides business, the first thing that comes to my mind is all the college kids using Blackberrys because of BBM. I think the Playbook could be quite popular with that crowd and similar BB owners. Over half of Blackberry buyers are non-business.

9. cootersgarage6, Feb 6, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2011

Soo?

No, nothing is going to beat out the iPad, or even come close. This is because Android tablets and BlackBerry Play-Books alike run PHONE software... So you just get a bigger smartphone.. iPad is the same but it's actually changed a little for tablet use.

Also, the interface is just a knock-off of the iPad. the Touch screen on all other tablets SUCK.

And again, it's just a knock-ff... Would you rather walk around with a tablet no one has seen on the news, and is just an iPad excuse.. or the real thing? Exactly, that's another reason the iPad is dominating.

10. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes but even 1000 apps cant compare to the 100,000 apps for android and iOS. Still haven't made a valid reason that apple is concerned about the playbook. Honeycomb and the xoom are much more worrisome, but even then I don't think Apple cares about whether Android beats it in overall numbers as long as they have the one single device that has the marketshare compared to any individual devices running android. Oh and as long as they continue to make more money than any competitor just like the iPhone.

11. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Maybe you need more for the playbook but apps in general are overrated. I hear that all the time with apple, all these apps etc. Quite a few either stink, don't have a use or are high priced.

12. Highcroft macrumors regular

While I have no doubt that the iPad will dominate Android tablets in sales, apps, etc., Honeycomb has many more tablet optimized features than iOS for iPad and the Playbook runs a brand new OS completely unrelated with the smartphone OS.

13. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

don't you need a blackberry in order for contacts and calendars to work correctly on the playbook? I know that sounds ridiculous, and I almost can't believe it myself, but that's what I've heard. If so, that's a MAJOR drawback in my opinion.

From engadget review:

"We weren't able to see any of the BlackBerry applications (like BBM, Calendar, and Messages), since they require you to be tethered over Bluetooth to your BlackBerry phone"

14. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

15. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

I disagree on that point. I know a ton of kids using Blackberrys for BBM and many of them couldn't care less about the smartphone features of Blackberry. To them it's mostly a messaging device and nothing more and that makes me think those crowds won't be interested in Playbook at all.

16. whocaresit thread starter macrumors 6502a

Wrong..
    QNX never existed on a phone before. It's being custom built for the PlayBook.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Speaking of QNX, here's a list of some interesting applications using it:

A QNX blogger's personal First Annual QNX Product Awards

Besides a Shuttle laser camera, my favorites are OnStar and MyGiG.

18. Xeperu macrumors 6502

The tablet with the best app store will win. Period. It's not about the hardware, it's about the apps. 90% of the general public doesn't care what hardware is inside. They'll believe the marketing babble anyway.

19. neko girl macrumors 6502a

neko girl

Inability to download (or even work on) corporate e-mail without also having a BlackBerry phone to tether to.

I think they made a mistake having to depend on love for their now-substandard phones.

20. thesmoth macrumors 6502

This reminds me of the opposite world episode of Red Dwarf.

Take everything you said and reverse it for reality.

The iPad is a big smart phone, exactly a big iPod touch/iPhone. Honeycomb and QNX are designed for tablet use.

21. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

Yes it is true that most apps are crap, but that is true for ALL devices whether a PC, Mac, iOS, Blackberry, Android. Go to any office supply store and check out all the crap ware on the shelves. Let's say that only 1% of software is any good, I would rather have 1000 good titles (100,000 / 100) than 10. Not to mention that any title released at first will most likely be half baked just like iOS and Android apps were when they first came out. Again my point is that the Playbook is not a competitor for honeycomb or iOS. It's just too late....

22. 513 macrumors newbie

And what about the G-Slate frome LG smart guy ?

HDMI out ? Check
    1080p recording ? Check
    Flash ? Check
    Tegra 2 ? Check
    Honeycomb ? Check
    Thousands of apps ? Check

Playbook apps ? ZERO

23. Highcroft macrumors regular

+ a 3D Display and 3D video recording

24. 513 macrumors newbie

Except it doesn't have a glasses-free display like the 3DS.
    Anyway, I don't need 3D.

25. Highcroft macrumors regular

I don't either but it's better to have it than not. Actually, I could use it to finally watch Piranha 3D in 3D.