Blackberry Playbook still has too many unaswered questions...

Discussion in 'iPad' started by hcho3, Sep 28, 2010.

1. hcho3 macrumors 68030

What is with so many people comparing Blackberry Playbook to iPad? Also, why are people saying Blackberry playbook is better than iPad because it has better specs?

Don't people realize the fact that iPad was released a year ahead of blackberry playbook?

Fine, forget the release dates...Here are my issues with blackberry playbook.

1) 7 inch display. It may fly with movies, but I am not sure why I would consider buying this if someone already owns Android phone with 4.3 inch screen.

2) Price? It will probably cost like 500-700 dollars for wi-fi model. Good luck with that.

3) Battery life... With dual core processor... I will be surprised if it gets 7 hours of battery life, but even 7 hour is not that great.

4) Apps? Will it have angry birds and netflix? If not, I will not even look at this device.

2. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

The problems with the Playbook are:

1. It won't be out until next year, so don't compare it to the iPad. Instead compare it to whatever iPad 2.0 will be, since it will be out by then too.
    2. Want to develop for the Playbook? It's either Flash or HTML5 and nothing else. So much for that app store. No Angry Birds for you!

3. melman101 macrumors 68030

I completely agree. Battery life has got to be the big thing. I mean dual core, and only weighing .9 pounds? How big can that battery really be? I'm guessing 3 hours. LMAO!

4. mstrze macrumors 68000

It's the nature of the beast. Doesn't every single new smartphone that comes out get compared favorably to the iPhone and then fail to live up to the hype when the actual product gets into consumers' hands?

The biggest problem that RIM is going to have is getting it compatible with Flash which is their major push. They say they want it to be exactly the same web experience one has when surfing on a regular computer. The battery life/processor issue is going to kill them unless Flash has been remarkably streamlined over the last 12 months.

Also, I find it odd that one needs to sync it with a normal BB to get 3G data access? I guess it's like a Wifi iPad with tethering?

5. Audi09 macrumors member

I dont watch movies so Im fine with 7inches
    price? how much is the ipad again? its 500-700$ why are you complaining?
    batterylife, no one knows, maybe it can get 10hours or 2 hours
    apps. I dont plan to play games on a tablet or watch movies

6. henrikrox macrumors 65816

henrikrox

Its so stupid how much fanboy some people really can be.

Yes its mac forum, but still. Some of you are are just so obvious its ugly.

Also you cant compare the playbook to ipad 2, when we dont know what it will be / what specs.

You have to compare to current tech, since we dont know ipad 2 specs.

7. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

It's probably going to sell mostly to business folk at first.

There's a big demand for a Blackberry tablet for execs and sales and other field force uses.

And the fact that it supposedly can pair with, and show what's on your BB phone, is handy.

However, if the UI is compelling and smooth enough (and the multitasking app card metaphor looks nice so far, just as it does on WebOS), and the price is right, it could find many consumer buyers as well.

8. Mitchrapp macrumors 6502a

Fanboy or not, we should all hope the 'Playbook' is successful. Competition is always better.

9. NebulaClash macrumors 68000

NebulaClash

You cannot compare it to current tech because the Playbook is not out yet. So when it does get released, it will be compared to the current tech at that time, i.e. the iPad 2.

10. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

This.

Anyway, While it looks slick, in addition to the questions posed by the OP, here's another: how does it feel in use? Remember...spec list =/ user experience. The UE on the Storm and Storm2 is downright awful compared to that on the iPhone or iPT. Will the playbook's be better? RIM better hope so.

11. Syk macrumors 6502a

I'm keeping my eye on the Playbook. If it's priced from $300-350 they may be on to something. :D

It's UI and apps are going to be huge deciding factor. After you buy it if there are no quality apps coming out for it, then I see it failing.

Battery life probably won't be 10+ hours that the iPad has with those specs but I'd settle for 8hrs or so. That's plenty long for any flight I'd be taking or away from A/C power

12. poloponies macrumors 68030

If RIM could sell this thing for $300-350 THAT would have led the story. Don't expect it to be priced below the iPad range.

13. Syk macrumors 6502a

Nothing wrong with wishful thinking but if you look at the Galaxy Tab and Streak you're right about price when it's not being subsidized , although those do have phone capabilities. Though a $300-$350 would putt them in the Netbook price range maybe $400

IMO I think the iPad2 will come out with similar specs as the Playbook. Maybe not the screen size but if they're both going to be $500 you'd be better off going with the established iPad and the App store plus the resale value.

14. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    This.

Can't agree with you more. Let competition ensue and the market will allow for better products at cheaper prices for consumers.

15. dojoman macrumors 65816

Playbook looks good on paper but just like Slate it will end up being a dud. 2011 launch? A bit too late. By that time iPad will be 2nd gen with even better battery life and screen.

16. Akash.B macrumors regular

I don't like it, but I'd rather have it do well enough for Apple to feel hot under their collars. That would make them sell a better 2nd gen iPad with more bang for the buck.

On thoughts alone, I don't really like the Playbook. BUT I will keep my mouth sealed till I use one. Don't want to mirror all the iPad haters.

17. iPadztr macrumors 6502

I really hope RIM can get this right with maximum battery life of at least 8-10hrs with that specs. Apple needs a competition and competition is good for all consumers. This will push apple to come up with a new ideas and spec wise as well to compete.

18. darngooddesign macrumors G3

That's the iPad's price.

19. jallenclark macrumors regular

why does the ipad need to push the specs? Apple is going to bump the specs for the hell of it, they will only bump the specs if they need to for a better user experience. I don't care if my iPad has 256 mb or 512mb or 1gb of RAM, it is smooth and works for me.

I would love the competition to help add features to Apple's OS though. Would love a new notification system in iOS 5.

20. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I actually see the playbook as successful or even more as the galaxy tab and close but not as much as will the iPad 2

21. doboy macrumors 68000

I think the best thing about the Playbook is that it may hopefully "force" Apple to implement dual-core and 1 GB RAM in their next version (if they weren't planning already) as well as bluetooth tethering between iPhone and iPad.

22. roland.g macrumors 603

roland.g

They are always coming out to compete and poorly so with the prior generation device as Apple is releasing the next.