Blackface — Is it intolerance, or art?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by citizenzen, Apr 5, 2015.

1. citizenzen, Apr 5, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2015

citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have no idea who this person is or what she's famous for, but I have seen a number of stories where people have been taken to task for affecting a "blackface" look and this is the most recent example.

To me this is an utter non-issue. Back in the day there was some validity to stereotypical depictions of blacks using this technique.

But it seems to me that we're so far removed from that intent that there shouldn't be any recrimination over artificially darkening one's skin.

It's art. It's expression.

Isn't it time we stopped seeing it as a form of intolerance?

2. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    That's not blackface. It's only blackface when it's insulting, which that isn't. I mean hell, she's wearing blue contacts...

This further enforces my belief that everyone on the internet is uptight.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I agree ..... nothing to see here.

4. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Do you think a line exists where you'd see it as offensive?

Would you hazard to speculate where that line is?

5. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I actually thought this was more of an intellectual question....

Then I read the OP. Kylie Jenner = Bruce Jenner's daughter = Kardashian.

This is a tabloid non-issue.

I'll save my other comments for the more intellectual portions of the thread, should they come up.

BL.

6. citizenzen thread starter macrumors 65816

Why pass up the opportunity to bring the up those more intellectual issues yourself?

7. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Plenty of people are uptight outside the Internet too.

But I agree this is ridiculous.

8. aristobrat macrumors G4

I was at the Seattle Comicon last week, which to me is about as far and away from uptight as you can usually get.

I overheard some people who seemed upset that two women who dressed up as Klingons used brown body paint on their face and neck. The comments were to the effect of it being just as insulting as having shown up in black face, which. To each their own, I guess.

9. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Painting your face charcoal black and carrying around a bucket of kfc and watermelon is racist, darkening your skin for a role or photo is not anymore racist than tanning would be.

10. Praxis91 macrumors regular

Praxis91

Was the movie "White Chicks" racist, and did this movie cause endless bitching and moaning and lawsuits?

11. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Given it's rotten tomatoes rating is 15% it probably should have done.

12. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I would say anything that's very similar with the black face from the past, such includes makeup around the lips for it to stand out.

13. smellysox8 macrumors regular

Racism only works one way. :rolleyes:

14. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Not really...

15. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

It depends entirely on the circumstance and the 'message' wanting to be communicated. Either way, Jenner's circumstance is fine. Looks more like siverface to me than anything.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Fair enough. And I say all of this as a black man.

To answer the question in the thread title, is both. Yes, both. Here's why.

Yesterday while shopping at Sam's Club, I ran through the DVD section, and found a 2-DVD set of a show I always wanted to see: Dean Martin's Celebrity Roast. Looking on the back of the DVD, there is this nice little warning:

This applies to Blackface. Back then, even though it was racist, it was art and tolerated as such. That doesn't make it right, as cooler, more rational minds prevailed through the years. But there it is. It was art, and treated as such, especially when it was mainly used, which was back at that time.

Now, with this picture: this is no-where near blackface, and this rather blown out of proportion. If this is blackface, then Rebecca Romijn as Mystique in X-Men is heresy.

----------

The hell it does. Racism is racism, no matter who the victim is. There is no-such thing as a "reverse racism", as that would mean that someone in one race is being racist towards their own race.

BL.

17. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

does it matter who the racist is? or is it acceptable when "persons" are the same ethnicity?

18. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am not uptight.

19. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    You're on the internet, aren't you? That means you are.

20. technosix macrumors 6502a

I concur, we'll said.

Besides those of us who understand and have skill in photography understand that colors and other various aspects of an image frequently look much different via the net.

When I scrutinize the color it's obvious it's not black.

Next the mere suggestion that it's "blackface" reveals how the person or persons labeling it as such, are clueless and fail to understand what blackface is.

Let's be clear it involves more than just the color black. It's the way it's applied, to which areas, and its never, ever covering the area covered in this greatly misunderstood image that's NOT Blackface.
    I repeat_Not Blackface_

Yet with all the hate, and covert race baiting by none other than the apologist living the high life, it's no wonder that the people that prefer to play vicious victims, spew venom at every opportunity.

Finally make no mistake... I'm neither advocating for the model (yes I know who it is) nor am I advocating for the person who's idea it was.

And just what kind of idea was it? In my opinion it was a very, very stupid choice. Why? Because to me it's obvious what the public reaction would be. We're in the midst of turbulent times.

The first thing I thought of as I just happened to view it before learning of the backlash, was just that...the moment it hits the net it's bound to anger those who are looking for any excuse to vent their unresolved anger.

21. bunnspecial macrumors 603

bunnspecial

To my American, probably southern-biased mind, "Blackface" doesn't just mean painting your face black but also exaggerating certain other sterotypical facial features like large lips.

I think we have to recognize the place of blackface in history, but it definitely has no place in a modern context.

And, with all of that, I don't see anything that resembles what I would consider to be blackface in the above photo.

22. Toltepeceno Suspended

Toltepeceno

I can't believe I wandered into this forum, that I normally stay out of, and encountered someone that makes a lot of sense.

As a brown person I will only point out that the easiest offended people, that yell racism quickly and over nothing, are usually white people calling it on other white people. It does a disservice to those experiencing real racism.

I lived in the US before, in heavy latino areas in several states and let me tell you there is lots of bigotry between different countries of origin AND skin color. Not to mention racism between latino's and blacks, both ways, as latino areas art typically up against black areas and it's all ignored because it doesn't involve white people. I'm not saying it doesn't exist there also, but by far most was in these areas. To me refusing to accept it and try to fix it is racist, like people of color do not count.

He, I've already been in this section too long.

23. Meister Suspended

Meister

I am not getting it :(

24. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The girl in the photo looks potentially hot, so I Googled Kylie Jenner images.

I was disappointed.

That is all.

25. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

That's exactly what I said. Racism is racism, regardless of who the instigator is. It is never acceptable if the people are the same ethnicity, just like it isn't acceptable if they were of different ethnicities.

BL.