BlackMagic score for 27" i5 3.4ghz iMac with 1TB Fusion

Discussion in 'iMac' started by phphoto, Oct 15, 2013.

1. phphoto macrumors member

Hi. Can anyone with this configuration conduct a BlackMagic test as I am about to put an order in and would like to see what sort of results you get. Would there be a big difference with the i7 processor?
    Many thanks.

2. Bear, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

Bear macrumors G3

i5 versus i7 depends on what you will be using the Mac for. For most people there is no noticeable difference. Video editing applications tend to make good use of an i7. So do some other applications.

Having an i7 won't change disk benchmarks as compared to an i5.

3. phphoto thread starter macrumors member

Thanks 'Bear'
    I will be mainly using it for Photoshop, Bridge, Portrait Professional, Lightroom and Microsoft Office. I usually import many Raw files into Bridge and process in Camera Raw as well as retouching images which often have several layers. I have a 2009 Mac Pro at the moment which is ok but can get bogged down a bit when saving large files and creating thumbnails in Bridge. I will also be running a second 23" ACD from it.
    Many thanks

4. cateye macrumors member

cateye

You'll benefit more from a SSD (or a Fusion drive) than you would from the i7. I work extensively with photography/design as well (professionally, not a "hobby") and am in no way held back by the i5 in my brand new 27". However, I opted for the 512GB SSD for no-compromises file system speed. A Fusion drive should offer you most of the same benefit for half as much.