Blackwater Founder Said to Back Mercenaries in Africa

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Jan 21, 2011.

1. 184550 Guest

A very interesting article from the NYT.

I think that the broader use of military contractors in Africa could be a good thing in certain situations where the overt, or even covert, presence of US forces could have an extremely negative impact or, as the article mentions, the US is still hesitant to reenter a particular area.

2. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

What right do we have to interfere in the area? You seem to pose a false choice of having the military do it, or what is essentially a paramilitary do it. My question is why are these even on the table? :confused:

3. 184550 thread starter Guest

The only US involvement, at the present time, is through Eric Prince as a private American citizen. Xe Services isn't involved as Prince is currently selling off his stake in the company.

So if by 'we' you mean the UAE, I have no idea, you'd have to ask someone in their government.

4. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Why did you bring up US forces being unwilling to enter the area then? Yes, I get it's in the article (to which I essentially pose the same question).

5. 184550 thread starter Guest

Primarily because the author(s) referenced it in the article:

And, now that I think about it some more, AFRICOM.

Well, that's not the point of the article, is it?

6. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, it's not the point of the article, which is sad, because far too often we rally up our population to get involved where we have no right to do so. These are the questions that need to be asked.

7. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

If it helps restore order and stop the current internal conflict, it could be a really good thing. With that said, Blackwater has exceptional training capabilities but also has a bad record from the Iraq war, so it's a toss up.

Do you think their country is in ruins due to the US or other Western nations? If so, do you think we have an obligation to assist because the Western world, including the US, caused the current chaos that is still an issue today?

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Jobs are scarce... and killing is a skill. :rolleyes:

Soon Blackwater will be like any other multinational corporation: beholden to no nation, merely in it for the profit.

Maybe in the future, there will be some lucrative work for them in states.

9. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

A multinational corporation is scary.

A multinational corporation with guns is truly terrifying.

People ask why I trust the government so much. I don't. I just trust them more than big businesses.

10. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Exactly how I feel.

11. 184550 thread starter Guest

If you count their post Hurricane Katrina work in 2005, they already have:

And again in 2007:

Link

12. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Hence why I own a gun.

13. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

That hardly inspires any extra confidence. The last thing we need if a government / corporation goes bad is a bunch of disorganised people running around with guns.

It takes more than guns to fight. A lot more. 99% of any fight is logistics and planning. The guns are the easy bit.

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

That'll do it.

15. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Not exactly. Just because you own a gun doesn't mean you aren't civil; not all of us have police that will arrive in 10 minutes. At the same time, there is nothing wrong with owning a gun for personal protection. Furthermore, government, law enforcement, and private corporations have all done some really sick **** to people over the years, especially if you happen to be a minority.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Shooting them really helps, I expect.

17. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

We should just give all the minorities guns, no?

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Here's the social experiment I'd like to see...

Prohibit all males from owning any gun.

Make it maditory for women to carry them.

19. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I never said anything about shooting anyone. A firearm is a general deterrence which does not even need to be fired to reduce criminal activity.

We should give everyone the right to own a gun, minority or not.

20. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Of course. I'm just not entirely convinced that a group of unelected, gun touting, inexperienced, do gooders (of course doing good is a matter of opinion, but as long as it is OK in their eyes) rampaging around the country is better than a sh***y government.

21. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

Women shoot far better than men...might be a good idea. When I taught shooting, the women would always excel right from the start and I saw many, many guys get frustrated as their date was poppin bulls-eyes like no tomorrow while they couldn't hit a thing. I suppose part of it as that guys want to fire the biggest gun possible and don't listen. Also, women tend to follow gun safety procedure much better than men, on average.

22. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

I am not advocating for taking to the streets and slaughtering people. A corrupt government would be better than that. As you said, doing good is a matter of opinion so I guess my idea of responsible and 'good' gun ownership has no correlation with what others feel is or is not.

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Ah. That would explain the incredibly low crime rate and prison population in the USA.

24. 184550 thread starter Guest

I know we're only 21 days in but, PRSI quote of the year?

25. NickZac macrumors 68000

NickZac

No, but locking people up for petty offenses and health issues does. We BUILD our criminals.

Pay Related Social Insurance?