Blackwater loses license to operate in Iraq

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Sep 17, 2007.

1. Queso macrumors G4

North Carolina based security contractor Blackwater has been banned by the Iraqi Interior Ministry from operating anywhere in the country. The action follows the killing of eight people over the weekend by operatives of the US firm in an incident which left another thirteen injured. According to eyewitnesses most of the casualties were bystanders.

BBC News

2. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Can the Iraqi government actually do that? Or is this just symbolic?

3. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

Well, they are the "government" aren't they? ;)
    Of course the real question is: Will Washington allow it…

5. adroit macrumors 6502

adroit

I guess not.

6. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I think the Iraqis have the authority to send them packing. Blackwater has no military status, or diplomatic immunity. Iraq has the authority to revoke visas from private citizens. Of course, Blackwater is heavily involved with the neocons. They are profiteers, just like HB. So, it could be an ugly situation. I really despise Blackwater and its owner.

7. SMM macrumors 65816

SMM

I did some more reading this evening and it appears I may be wrong about the jurisdiction for these creeps. I am going to provide a link which addresses this, but also shows something unbelievable. There is a video link to these psychos shooting innocent, unarmed Iraqi motorists. Does anyone wonder why this ancient civilization has grown to hate us? Blackwater is what you get when you cross-breed neocons, Haliburton and 'the good old boys'. That equals the most loathsome export, America has made since Ollie North.

8. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

9. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Can they ban Al-Qaeda in Iraq?

That would be super.

10. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

That doesn't really have anything to do with this, other than trying to polarize or redirect the issue. Are we to ignore the actions of Blackwater because Al Qaeda is "worse"? Questionable morality isn't acceptable just because it's an incremental improvement over immorality.

11. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

They can try. If we don't comply, there are going to be even more pissed off locals. And even more questions about who they are and what they're doing. It's just starting to come to light, and it's about time.

The small percent that actually is there, that has little if anything to do with those who attacked us on 9/11 if that's where you're going, isn't really welcome either. But Blackwater is supposed to be making things better. They aren't supposed to be making things worse the way AQ does. But they are. Kinda funny you brought up the comparison. Part of the problem is that they are comparable. And sadly, because some of the locals hate us just that much, some of them see us are the worse option, with BW being the worst of the worst. As someone who's had loved ones over there fighting, still wondering why exactly, that bothers me for some reason.

That doesn't bother you?

12. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

We should've evacuated Iraq before the war started; at least we should've gotten the women and children out of there.

13. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

And no where have I seen this in ANY American paper or their websites. It's just shameful. It is really embarrassing to be from a country as corrupt, unjust, and badgering as the US.

14. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

There were way too many people to do so. Plus, where would we put them? Besides, we were supposed to only be there for a few weeks and they were going to greet us as liberators. Your plan would have involved foresight, and if we had that, we wouldn't be in this mess in the first place.

15. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

For 452 Billion dollars, we could've air lifted them to different places all over the world and maybe even provided housing for them too.

16. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Are you suggesting there is a parallel between "Al-Qaeda in Iraq" :)rolleyes:) and Blackwater? Are you perhaps aware of covert US funding that we aren't informed about?

17. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Chicago Tribune
    Wired
    CNN
    New York Times
    Washington Post

Lethal

18. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I just wanted to post an article about this for those who can read French, coming from the main french newspaper.

19. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

He's obviously just Al-Qaeda :rolleyes:

20. Black&Tan macrumors 6502a

Black&Tan

And this is from CNN....

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast.../index.html?section=cnn_topstories&eref=yahoo

"I remember people strewn on the streets, children, elderly, young men, elderly women. ... The street turned into the street of the dead, a graveyard," he said.

"There was nothing I could do. Every man was for himself."

Amir wonders what the Blackwater employees were thinking.
    "Is this some kind of a show of force for them to flex their muscles?" he said. "Are they doing this to us, the victims, so they can advertise and promote their abilities through the Western media? ... Is their mission to protect one person by killing 10 unarmed people? And if they are protecting two people, then they shoot 100 unarmed people. ... Is this Vietnam? ...

"Enough, enough," he said. "Enough of all that's happening. God's fury is coming. Enough of this. Enough."

Makes me wonder who is ultimately responsible for this horrific event. As Blackwater has made no discrimination about who to kill, who's to say Al-Queda or militant muslim groups will discriminate either. As members of the Western community, will we be the targets for reprisals, regardless of our innocence?

The US will be hated for decades, that appears to be our legacy.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

We already are targets. It's just sad to see us sinking to their level.

22. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

It didn't seem to be out there at first, but I'm glad the MSM has finally picked up on it. Sometimes it just takes them a little while. Here's hoping they stick with it instead of just covering more OJ and Britney. :rolleyes:

23. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Can they ban those American invaders and terrorists in Iraq?

That would also be super.

24. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I think they're already trying to do so, that's kinda the problem.

25. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Sovereignty Ain't What It Used To Be

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/09/21/world/middleeast/21cnd-blackwater.html?_r=1&hp&oref=slogin
    Just in case you thought the US gave a toss.