Blade SSD to USB or SATA adapters?

UrsaMinor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
Hello.

If you need to recover data from a blade SSD due to a logic board failure, how are you doing so? Has anyone had any luck with Blade SSD to USB or SATA adapters?

Last edited:

Audit13

macrumors 603
Apr 19, 2017
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Unless you have access to another Macbook to recover the data or use a recovery service, you'll have to buy a USB enclosure.

The blade SSD (2013 to 2015 Pro and Air) is PCIe and cannot be converted to work in a sata enclosure.

UrsaMinor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
Thanks for the reply.

I'll have a look online for the USB adapters. I could have sworn I looked into those about a year ago, and the consensus was very few could get them to work.

UrsaMinor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
I'm a computer tech that repairs Windows systems, but I started to use and repair Macs about a year ago. On a side note, I've found Apple's OS to be superior to Windows, and it's also far easier to repair a corrupt Apple OS than a Windows OS. Window's repair tools don't even work most of the time.

I've been lucky so far with the Macbook's that I've encountered with a failed logic board. More specifically, the customers had a time machine or i-Cloud backup. As I get more and more Macbooks, I anticipate logic board failures in which the Macbook uses a blade and the customer needs data recovered. It looks as though there are about 4 different pin configurations for those blade SSD's. So I guess I need to hunt down a few adapters.
- - Post merged: - -

Thanks for that adapter link Mr. Brightside.

Isn't it kind of odd that it doesn't list the pin configuration? These are the pin configurations I've found:

Last edited:

UrsaMinor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
If you two have an extra moment, could you please give me a second opinion on the following:

UrsaMinor

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 2, 2018
Audit13,

Thank you for the OWC link. They have exactly the devices I need. Have a look here:

Blade SSD to USB Adapters

The first 3 adapters in the list will cover just about any Blade I come across. Those three should cover pin configurations 6-12, 7-17, and 12-16.

Reactions: Audit13
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.