Blagojevich to name Burris to Senate

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 30, 2008.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Someone needs to stop this guy, and fast. He has no shame.

http://www.chicagobreakingnews.com/2008/12/blagojevich-to-name-burris-to-senate.html

2. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I would hate to be the guy nominated, I bet he wants nothing to do with it.

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He'd be very smart to say no. Blagojevich is completely insane.

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

the senate will have to confirm the choice for him to actually get the job. my guess is that they might not....

5. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

I don't think you need to guess. I don't think they'd even think twice. There's no way in hell they'd confirm it.

6. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

one would hope that this should be so simple. but ive seen our government fail before in things like this.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Look- this is serious. This is like political poison to any politician. No one is going to want to be seen as sympathetic to Blagojevich.

8. benthewraith macrumors 68040

benthewraith

Just curious, but if Blago wasn't up for corruption charges, would Roland Burris be a good pick?

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

10. stevento macrumors 6502

stevento

damn, Blago just wont leave. If Blago is booted by courts, then does his pick stand?

11. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I think the fact that Blagojevich is trying to nominate anyone is even more worth of facepalmage than Barack the Magic Negro....

Per the question of who Roland Burris is... I dunno, albeit there seems to be no history of corruption scandals, he sounds like another Blagojevich.

http://www.suntimes.com/news/metro/...-senate-seat-obama-blagojevich-123008.article

[​IMG]

12. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

13. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Well, this is not good. Burris decided to go for it. This is gonna get ugly now. This is nothing more than Blagojevich trying to ruin the party, since he wasn't invited. It's typical for him.

14. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, Burris seems to be playing the race card very heavily too. He said something in a soundbyte that was on NPR this morning, to the effect, "They wouldn't refuse one black man into the Senate, would they?"

15. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

They're totally playing the race card. It's disgusting and exactly the kind of crap Blagojevich has been pulling all along. Remember when we needed CTA funding passed by the state? Blagojevich at the very last minute wouldn't sign it. Why? Because he wanted seniors to get free rides on the CTA and RTA. He pulled that out of thin air and jeopardized the entire funding package. He didn't get his way, so he threw a stick in the spokes. I mean, who wanted to be seen as "against" seniors? So in the eleventh hout the legislature had to accept it, or the CTA would have come to a grinding halt, crippling the entire city. Now, because of Blago's shenanigans, the CTA is almost right back where it was. We already gave seniors half price, but we obviously couldn't afford "free".

16. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Yes, I was talking about this issue with my mother last night. It's a good idea in principle. In the middle of an economic crisis is just not the right time to implement it. And certainly not as a power gambit rather than as a principled decision.

17. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

He's trying to do the same thing here. And the fact that Burris is going along with it, sort of proves we're dealing with even worse slime than we thought. I only hope this can be stopped. And let's hope Fitzgerald puts this guy away for a long time.

18. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

That tells me he's more politician than Black.

Here's more.

http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2008-12-30-burris_N.htm

??? Is "fella" the new "boy"??

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Who knows? All I can say is that Blagojevich is insane and needs to be stopped. I can't believe this is happening right out in the open like this. Ya know, he lives a few blocks away...maybe I should egg his house. :)

20. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

If I may, allow me to play devil's advocate for a moment. I'll preface with two or three points first: (1) like (seemingly) everyone else, I assume Blago is guilty and a crook and so on and so forth; (2) like (seemingly) everyone else, I think it is farcical that he chooses to remain in power (like my own indicted Birmingham mayor), much less nominate anyone to fill this seat; and (3) I ask the following not to unnecessarily provoke anyone, I'm just interested in anyone's thoughts on this.

So, how does "innocent until proven guilty" factor into this?

With the exception of any bail-related agreements, best I can tell the guy has not been convicted of anything, nor has he been stripped of any of his rights, either personally or professionally. So, do we go ahead and convict vis-a-vis taking away his right to nominate? Further, it seems that all that is necessary to do the first step of impeachment is for a simple majority of the House to pass a bill. I infer that if a simple majority of the House hasn't already had the gusto to get the first leg of impeachment done, then why all the fuss about the nomination. I know that there's some sort of impeachment "panel" or "committee" or some other red tape underway, but best I can tell it is completely unnecessary. Just get a vote in. Done. Then hand it off to the Senate for a trial/hearing.

So, again, do we let "justice take its course" as we (including myself) so often and vociferously state, or do we begin stripping him of his rights and powers now?

Just throwing that out there for discussion.

signed,

someone without a dog in this fight

21. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Umm..well- given that he's accused of trying to sell the Senate seat, I'd say there's just cause for outrage over this. At the very least, his power as governor should be suspended until this is sorted out. He most certainly shouldn;t be able to appoint someone to the Senate when he's being accused of trying to sell the seat.

22. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm not questioning whether there is just cause for outrage. I am asking about whether we apply "innocent until proven guilty" to this, especially if the House is apparently unable or unwilling to do the obvious thing and impeach him.

Again, this is just a devil's advocate question.

23. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Those tapes were pretty damning. I don't know how they could be misinterpreted. What more proof do we need? I mean, yeah, he needs a trial and all but I don;t see how this could possibly end up in an acquittal.

24. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Maybe Blagobaby has a sense of humor. Warped perhaps, but somebody please tell me this is a photoshop:

http://flickr.com/photos/southbound_07/2750018934/sizes/o/

There's some explanatory material at http://wonkette.com/page/2 ; scroll down a bit. Is this factual? I have no clue.

FWIW, this was my first time to see the Wonkette site.

Anyhow: This does not reassure me as to the probable quality of "senatorship" of Mr. Burris. But, then, not many of the rest seem to be any better, so...

:D, 'Rat

25. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

Sigh... it's having some effect, too:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/01/us/01illinois.html?hp

(Danny K. Davis is a Democrat Representative, to whom it turns out, Blagojevich tendered an offer for the Senate seat before he turned to Burris).