Blame game: GOP forms circular firing squad

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rdowns, Oct 24, 2008.

1. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Can't wait to read the piece in the NY Times Sunday Magazine. This is pretty damning stuff.

Link

2. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Even now they are starting to talk about Bush as a major obstacle? 10 days before the election and they just discover what a slacker we have in the Whitehouse?

3. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

This disorganization is, of course, unprecedented in the modern Republican party. Whatever happened to the well-oiled machine?

It'll be interesting to see, after the election, how much of this gets blamed on Steve Schmidt (McCain's current campaign manager), McCain himself, Sarah Palin, and the Republican party in general.

On the other hand, give credit where credit is due. A few years ago, Rahm Emanuel (chair of the Democratic Congressional Campaign Committee for 2006) and Howard Dean (chairman of the DNC) were embroiled in a bitter struggle over campaign philosophy. Dean wanted to employ a 50-state strategy, and Emanuel disagreed. The 50-state strategy rejects the traditional notion of pouring all your time and money into only the blue states, and moves aggressively into the red states, trying to recapture them. Emanuel favored the more traditional (read: losing) approach.

Well, not only did Dean's ideas pay off big time in '06, but they're poised to do it again in less than two weeks.

Meanwhile, McCain and the RNC have been playing the same old negative game, blissfully unaware that a lot of the country has moved on from that.

4. rdowns thread starter macrumors Penryn

rdowns

When the election is over, it will be interesting as we learn more details on the inner workings of the campaign. There will be plenty of blame to go around although I think the selection of Palin will go down as the worst of their decisions.

5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

6. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

What are "process questions"? Are they questions that require processing before answering? You know, the opposite to using your gut.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

A mishandled roll-out that damaged her?? After all the stupid answers and blank stares she's given to interviewers? Sorry, she's damaged herself, and if the Republican party is smart they'll drop her like a hot rock instead of letting her talk about "Palin 2012".

And while I've no love for John McCain, for any campaign to work, both candidates have to be working in unison, and Palin sounds like she's all out for herself now.

If McCain-Palin were to win the election, can you just imagine what the working relationship would be like??

8. MacHipster macrumors 6502

The GOP falling into chaos is still contigent on Obama's first year in office. If Obama's first year is a failure, the GOP can regather and say, "I told you so," to the nation. If, on the other hand, Obama's first year is successful, the GOP is going to find themselves where the Democrats found themselves the past three decades: failing to find a coherent message. They have to go back to their roots of small government and ditch the Neo-Conservatives and the Theo-Conservatives, or they'll realize the same fate as the Whigs.

9. jplan2008 macrumors regular

There's more blame coming out:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/25/palin-versus-mccains-othe_n_137834.html

Sarah Palin's allies appear irritated over the handling of her candidacy while McCain insiders have come to view the Alaska Governor as remarkably self-serving. Publicly, all of this is denied. But on Saturday, an aide to the campaign put it in just about the most blunt yet.

"She is a diva. She takes no advice from anyone," the adviser told CNN, "she does not have any relationships of trust with any of us, her family or anyone else."

10. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

You know what I just realized?

Whenever anybody has brought up the subject of dumping Palin from the ticket, the answer has always been the same: it would look bad/it would probably cost him votes instead of win him some/it's just not done.

And two weeks ago that probably would've been true.

But now, she's such a drag on the ticket -- and going rogue to boot -- that ditching her would accomplish two things: (1) it'd put Caribou Barbie in her place; and (2) it just might actually improve McCain's poll numbers (assuming he picked a VP candidate that appeals to independents).

At this point, McCain could really do it. He's got nothing to lose.

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The way I understood it, is that he can't order her off the ticket. He can ask, and she can agree to stand down, or resign of her own accord. But not fire her like you do with an employee. I may be wrong but that's the impression I get from reading here and there.

12. MacHipster macrumors 6502

It would make sense since she was nominated and then elected as the VP Candidate at the RNC Convention. I'm not sure what the procedure would be. Eagleton was asked by McGovern to step down in 1972. That's the only precedent I can recall.

13. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The McCain camp isn't going to do anything about Palin. They have enough to worry about besides a very public self destruct. Worse than what's going on now.

And for people that think he's already lost please don't get too relaxed. There's still 10 or so days left and anything can happen when most national polls only show him down 6-9 points.

The show ain't over till the fat lady sings.

14. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Good points about not being able to just ditch her. Still, as an intellectual exercise, I wonder what would be the procedure that would have to be followed, according to the RNC's rules?

15. zap2 macrumors 604

zap2

I'm not so sure the dems failed to find a coherent message during the Clinton years....I mean all they needed to say was "Look how good he's doing"!

16. macfan881 macrumors 68020

But hey it worked and i think this is gonna be the nail in the coffin for McCain i really dont see how he has any shot of wininning

Obama 08!:D

17. MacHipster macrumors 6502

I disagree. Bill Clinton was reactive to the Reagan Coalition and moved the Democratic Party towards the center in order to win. The Democrats also lost control of both houses of Congress in 1994 for the first time in 42 years. The US had been moving towards the right since 1968.

Since the GOP controlled the White House, the House, and the Senate and enacted their Neo-Conservative agenda long enough to get the US into our current condition, I can see a liberal cycle beginning to take shape. Finally.

18. jplan2008 macrumors regular

I agree -- it's only with hindsight that people remember that things were pretty good under Clinton. I'd say Clinton moved the Democratic party to the right of center, and Democrats got the idea that's the only way to win. And Obama is also to the right of center. It's only the politicians and an extremist faction of the population that have been moving to the right-- the overall population has stayed the same or moved to the left, mostly. People just don't think of themselves that way, especially with the media telling them every day that we're moving to the right. Certain conservative talking points have gained steam, since the Republicans are much better at that, but overall, people are for big government, higher taxes for the rich, government fixing the health care problem, choice, etc.

19. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

The ship continues to sink.

McCain Adviser Endorses Obama.

"Charles Fried, a professor at Harvard Law School, has long been one of the most important conservative thinkers in the United States. Under President Reagan, he served, with great distinction, as Solicitor General of the United States. Since then, he has been prominently associated with several Republican leaders and candidates, most recently John McCain, for whom he expressed his enthusiastic support in January.

This week, Fried announced that he has voted for Obama-Biden by absentee ballot. In his letter to Trevor Potter, the General Counsel to the McCain-Palin campaign, he asked that his name be removed from the several campaign-related committees on which he serves. In that letter, he said that chief among the reasons for his decision "is the choice of Sarah Palin at a time of deep national crisis."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2008/10/24/mccain-adviser-endorses-o_n_137590.html

20. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

Pocket Universe, nth Dimensional Complex Manifold
    And the story spreads...
    http://www.newsweek.com/id/165656
    ~ CB

21. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

And now for the latest kick in the balls of the McCain campaign:

Anchorage Daily News endorses Obama

I had thought if there would be one newspaper in the country to endorse McPalin, it would've been an Alaskan paper. I thought wrong.

22. jplan2008 macrumors regular

The article is out, by the way.

McCain's "dislike and disdain" for Obama, does go back to the ethics reform incident. They picked Palin partly because of how she'd look on the cover of Time. One advisor admitted he had no idea if Palin was knowledgeable on important issues (this was early on). Coming up with message after message for campaign, etc., etc.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/26/magazine/26mccain-t.html?pagewanted=1&sq=draper%20mccain&st=cse&scp=2

23. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

24. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

They're not dumping her from the ticket. For one thing, the nutjob brigade love her, and for another there's just over a week to the election. Even the morons who remain undecided at this point will see this as a sign of desperation.

25. Cleverboy macrumors 65816

Cleverboy

I woould love to know who "dumps" whom in the end.

~ CB