Blame it on Rio: Ryan Lochte, 3 other US swimmers robbed in Rio

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by FieldingMellish, Aug 14, 2016.

1. FieldingMellish Suspended

2. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

All I know is is that this crap didn't happen before the community organizer in chief Hussein took office.

3. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

Shouldn't have hosted the olympics in this third world ********.

4. Zenithal macrumors 68040

Brazil is a poorly run country that makes 70s and 80s Colombia look like a blissful and peaceful nation.

5. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

True!

Hussein the apologist, the failed leader, the great divider has gone out of his way to support those who protest, kill and cause chaos. The chief instigator against law and order, has turned society upside down. A testimonial that reveals the evil nature of liberal progressive idiots.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 14, 2016 ---
    Second only to Husseins America.

6. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Haha! Ryan Lochte is such a schmuck. I wonder if he was wearing his (teeth) grills like he wore a couple only pics ago.

If anyone has seen a non-Olympic interview you'll know what I mean by schmuck. Ugh. Sorry, I don't mean to sound like a jerk.

Anyways, that's too bad. Theft is a reality and they're a high value target. It could have happened anywhere. I agree Brazil may not have been the ideal place for the Olympics on paper and I'm not sure if hosting the games will have any long term benefits. The problems down there (Zika, sanitation, crime, drugs, corruption etc) has raised so much negative attention I sometimes wonder if it's been detrimental.

7. MadeTheSwitch macrumors 6502a

MadeTheSwitch

Oh look...a gnat farted in South America. Why that must be Obama's fault too. There's no end to things to blame on him, right maxsix? :rolleyes: Newsflash, Obama isn't President of Brazil.

8. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

Two-way sarcasm. o_O

Perhaps the theft took place at the Olympic Pillage.

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

You Obama Derangement Syndrome types disgust me. Open your eyes; Obama had absolutely nothing to do with this. How could he when he was on a golf course. Clearly, Hillary is to blame here.

10. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Portugal started it.

11. Tech198 macrumors G4

I think the problem may be Olympics IS in Rio. These robbery's may not have necessarily happened in other states.

How many are we up to now? On the up shot, it makes for great media..

12. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Agreed - thats the REAL issue but its not PC to say so.

The Olympics should cycle between 4-5 major, developed cities that arent garbage dumps. Like Tokyo, Bejing, London, Vancouver and some good US city like New Yourk or L.A. Why do they insist on having them in cesspool cities?

Whats next? 2020 Olympics from Afghanistan? New Event: Suicide Bombing...... :eek:

13. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Leaving aside some of your hyperbole, I'd agree that the developers and construction companies make out like bandits, and with the IOC forever upping the ante even in the face of a tight schedule, it's then inevitable that graft for easing the cutting of corners always runs big too.

Still, why should different cities not be able to compete to host the Olympics? It's an opportunity for would-be host cities to consider their urban planning, propose changes that will outlast the Olympic cycle and provide ongoing opportunity to showcase their city's business and entertainment venues. Even when they are not chosen, competitors will have invested in worthwhile review of needs and options for change.

It's true that some countries are unfortunate enough to be named host for a cycle and then be in precarious shape at the time that cycle hits the calendar. Still, it does seem like athletes and spectators alike are largely enjoying themselves in Rio, despite mishaps like that of the swimming pool algae and some bad brushes with common criminals.

On balance? Brazil can be relieved it has managed to pull this off at all in the face of its current circumstances, but if it takes a hard look back at how it did it, and who was left in the shadows to face ongoing penury and neglect: that's a matter of shame for the IOC, the host country, its raft of greedy Olympic venue-makers and fixers, never mind the army and police required to "manage" the residents of the impoverished favelas. I read the NY Times piece below today and was really angry.

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/08/15/sports/olympics/rio-favelas-brazil-poor-price-too-high.html

There’s no reason the Olympics can’t be held in other than first world countries, but the host country should invest in some really big rat traps before it sinks any money into Olympic venue development. Some of the really big rats hail from the first world. Thanks, rats: "Why we can't all have nice things."

As far as the 2020 Olympics, they’re to be in Tokyo, so relax. Not that some rats might not have shown up before that pick even got made:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/05/19/world/asia/japan-olympics-2020-investigation.html

14. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

To call Rio a cesspool is fairly accurate.

This is the kind of thing that the Olympic committee should take heed for all future location decisions.

Can't say they did not have fair warning. 2015 report:

"13 U.S. rowers fall ill at 2016 Olympics site"

RIO DE JANEIRO -- Thirteen rowers on the 40-member U.S. team came down with stomach illness at the World Junior Rowing Championships - a trial run for next summer's Olympics - and the team doctor said she suspected it was due to pollution in the lake where the competition took place.

The event took place amid rising concerns about the water quality at venues for the Rio de Janeiro Olympics, now less than a year away.

The Americans were by far the hardest hit at the regatta that concluded over the weekend, with reports of vomiting and diarrhea. Other teams in the competition reported some illnesses, according to World Rowing, the sport's governing body, but those were about as expected at an event that featured more than 500 young rowers.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/us-rowers-fall-ill-at-2016-olympics-site-water-blamed/

15. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

It's also WINTER in Rio. How the hell did a country win a summer Olympics during their winter? The whole world is upside down, I tells you.

16. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Yeah how is it the usual crew did not beat you to this post?

Dog days of August, man. The dog days of August have beaten the pups of PRSI. :D

17. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Another derogatory post highlighting that Obama has a Muslim upbringing in order to somehow suggest that is inferior.

18. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

The weather in the Catskills is upside down, that's for sure. 70 at night is bizarre. s/b 45 nights by mid to late august. LOL i wouldn't mind a 70-degree night in OUR winter.

On topic: I appreciate reading about the problems they've had in Rio but really wouldn't mind reading more about the fun it must really be to be down there, for the athletes and visitors as well. Hate it when the media get into lemming mode on anything, looking for the clicks. Put up some party scenes and high fives over medals, what's an Olympics for!

19. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Rio is the worst venue for the olympics in my lifetime at least. Any country that slashes their health budget to host an event in shoddy venues should be banned from being host in future.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Agreed. Nonetheless that's where the party is so since the media is attending, how about saving half the lectures for later and showing some of the celebrations. Cannot rewind the video and unpick Rio for 2016, dig.

21. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I didn't say anything about not watching it or enjoying the events. I was just sharing my opinion of the host for the benefit of the thread.

Team GB are riding high and it's a pleasure to watch.

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

^^ I meant to stick a like on your other post before I replied to it. Even clicking on buttons is too much for me by mid afternoon. I was made for more northern climes. And the northern ones I'm in seem be heading south!

I feel like going to back to archives to see the excitement over Rio being picked.

(selective memory, don't leave home without it)

23. FieldingMellish thread starter Suspended

You know there's a problem when there is literally a stool in each boxer's corner in the ring.

(Drum strike, cymbal crash)

24. samcraig macrumors P6

25. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ah yes, summer fall nights in the Catskills. Reminds me of my sleep away camp days. Could never reconcile how cold it got at night in mid-August. WE've been above 80 for the last 3 nights on Long Island.