blank HD after reformatting and "All My Files" folder is full of junk???

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Itv, Jan 29, 2015.

1. Itv macrumors newbie

Hi,
    Sorry if this is a newbie question but hope this presents enough challenge for you guys..
    I just came back from the Apple store after completely erasing my hard drive (I have everything backed-up on an external drive). I did not transfer anything back to my computer as yet, just downloading all the basics like clouds software and resetting Mail account etc.
    I was pretty surprise when in Finer, I clicked on the file: "All My Files" and it was full of stuff, lots of old bits and bobs and some very strange icons and bits of screen shots.. all sorts of junk and lots of it.
    This is very weird consider I just blanked my drive....
    So what happened here?...
    Where are these files coming from?
    How do I get rid of them? Do I want to get rid of them in the "traditional" way of - drag to trash?
    Do they actually take space on my disk? I know the short answer is Yes! but are they copies or just thumbnails or whatever..
    Was my disk properly cleaned than?
    Any help and direction will be greatly appreciated. I want a blank canvas!
    Many thanks.

2. cruisin macrumors 6502a

cruisin

Something went wrong. I would reinstall OSX to start from a clean slate. I never heard of a wipe and reinstall leaving junk.

What are the dates on the files? If they are older than the date OSX was reinstalled then Apple might have left something behind.