Bless you!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by ghall, Jan 26, 2012.

1. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

So I'm non-religious. I wouldn't go so far as to call myself an atheist, but I don't really have religious beliefs. Even still, when I sneeze, I get offended if someone doesn't say "bless you", and I always say the same when someone sneezes. To me it's something that is totally separate from religion.

It obviously had a religious connotation when it originated, possibly related to the bubonic plague when sneezing was believed to be an early symptom. Either way, it originated because people didn't understand what sneezing is, but now that we know what causes sneezing it's not as if the term really means anything anymore. It's just a courtesy, like saying "excuse me" when you burp.

What does everyone think about this? Do you say 'bless you', or some variation, when someone sneezes?

2. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Sometimes I say "bless you" or "Gesundheit". An old girlfriend used to say "will someone bless me?" after she sneezed if it wasn't said.

3. MorphingDragon macrumors 603

MorphingDragon

Welcome to cultural customs. Don't expect them to make sense.

4. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I don't really get this myself, I never say bless you for others and I find it a bit odd when say it for me. I always end up saying "thanks" but in an incredibly no-comital way that heavily implies I don't mean it in the slightest.

It's all rather awkward.

5. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I never understood it, and I only say it to people that aren't close to me.

Religious or not, it's a strange custom.

I heard rumors it was started because your heart stops for a second when you sneeze.

6. renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Whenever I hear someone sneeze I say "Bless You".

7. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

Thats a little freaky to think about. :eek:

8. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

9. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

Then fail to get freaked out about because it is a myth.

10. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

It's pretty much social custom at this point. I think the following is interesting:

Link - http://health.howstuffworks.com/human-body/systems/respiratory/sneezing.htm

11. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

most people I know don't say it when somebody sneezes; and when somebody does, to me it sounds a bit odd, and perhaps a bit old fashioned.

Why would you get offended if somebody doesn't say "bless you"???

12. ghall thread starter macrumors 68040

ghall

It just seems like common courtesy to me. It's like if someone were to close a door in your face. It's basically just rude as far as I'm concerned. As I said, I'm not religious but I say it to everyone who sneezes.

Though I do sometimes run into the problem that my coughs sometimes sound like sneezes, and strangely enough someone is always around who will say "bless you". :rolleyes:

Phew! :p

13. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

ewww.

[​IMG]

14. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

that might be an argument for the sneezer to say "excuse me" but that makes no sense as a reason for somebody else to say it to the sneezer

15. Heilage macrumors 68030

Heilage

I actually say "Possess you", but that's just me. :)

16. Fazzy macrumors 6502

why should you be offended if someone doesn't say bless you? it's not rude like not holding the door open for those behind you, or a personal insult as such.

17. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Then accept the thought as offered. You can just smile. :)

When someone blesses me for an act of kindness, I just say thank you. I don't get into an argument about my religions beliefs, which are none. ;)

18. ericrwalker macrumors 68030

ericrwalker

I've made that argument before....and I always say "excuse me" when I sneeze....and I rather you not say "bless you" to me, because I feel compelled to say "thank you" for something as stupid as a "bless you".

19. Mord macrumors G4

Mord

I've never been able to smile when I don't really mean it.

20. Mac'nCheese macrumors 68030

Mac'nCheese

Yeah, but its totally backwards, right? The person sneezing should say excuse me like they do when they burp, fart, cough, etc.

21. Macky-Mac macrumors 68030

Macky-Mac

I agree.....and that somebody might be offended when nobody says "bless you" is something that I find perplexing

22. wpotere Guest

I say Gesundheit as well, not bless you. Gesundheit means "health" in Germany and is said because it was once thought you were getting sick if you sneezed. It was basically a way to say they hope you are healthy.

23. barkomatic macrumors 68040

I think sometimes people actually think really hard to come up with new reasons to be offended.

24. Rampant.A.I. macrumors 6502a

I used to get annoyed when someone said it to me, and avoided saying it to others. Mostly because of the first explanation of the custom in the Snopes article (I heard it in a comparative religions class).

But, it's an accepted social custom, and it's considered impolite not to, so what the heck.

25. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

I never say it. This is mainly because I don't see the point, and it usually just adds more noise and disruption to the situation.

Why anyone would get offended by someone not saying it is beyond me.....:confused:

Now, I will often excuse myself when I sneeze, but I see this as more of an apology for the disruption (I sneeze freaking loud).