BLM seeks Slavery Reparations

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by MacAndMic, Aug 1, 2016.

1. MacAndMic macrumors 6502

Read the full article here http://reut.rs/2aEhHkR

I am interested in hearing the thoughts of the people here on this. I know for me, my family was not in this country during slavery so I feel I should be disqualified from having to kick in should it come down to money....which it always does. I guess you could make the argument that my way was easier paved or cleared as the AA's were already pushed aside?? Although my paved way was not easy in the slightest....

2. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Nothing would be accomplished by making people who didn't carry out slavery pay reparations to people who weren't slaves.

3. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Okay.. I know I'm splitting hairs here, because over-sensationalism is the main play of the day, but how is a coalition affiliated to BLM equate to BLM actually wanting this?

Not trying to defend these people at all, but there is a lot of playing 'guilty by association' going around today.

BL.

4. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

I can get behind limited reparations: the US government owes every black American born before 1866 a big fat payday. Say five million in small, unmarked Confederate bills.

5. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

For starters, I think that all descendants from slaves should not have to pay any taxes. Second, I think that they should all be allowed to attend a public college of their choice for free. And lastly, this is probably too late to implement but the original freed slaves should have been given a plot of land.

6. Desertrat macrumors newbie

Anybody who was a slave deserves reparations, to be paid by anybody who has been a slave-owner. Let the first step forward; let the latter be found.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Nope.

8. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Fifty years of welfare and affirmative action are enough reparations. Not our fault if they squandered it.

9. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

That's going to leave a mark

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Why? Would they not get any benefits from taxes? And if they do get benefits then as long as they are earning enough money to otherwise qualify to pay taxes why should I as a person whose family came to the US after slavery ended have to subsidize them through my taxes?

11. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Without reading the article, my take on this issue is that it's too late for reparations. People need to get past that.

We should, as a country, address issues such as police conduct, black unemployment rates, our prison society ... as well as issues within the black community. We should take steps to improve black lives. But reparations are a step too far. And they aren't going to happen.

12. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

First, you have to recognize that America would not be the country it is today if it weren't for slavery. Many families got rich off the backs of slaves and all the slaves got was their freedom eventually and years of racism and discrimination that followed. Keep in mind your family chose to come to America and by doing so must accept its history along with its debts. Personally, I'm against affirmative action in terms of how it was implemented but I agree with the program's goals of attempting to give opportunities to blacks and other minorities. I think a more effective way of giving opportunities to blacks and creating a more even playing field with the families who directly benefited from slavery is to reduce their financial burden i.e. no taxes and free community college. It is really the least America should do.

13. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Time has passed. Get over it

14. 5684697 Suspended

I'm all for reparations for the 20-30 million people in slavery today. The perpetrators still exist and should pay.

15. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

So are you saying that Blacks have not benefited from America being the country that it is today? Or if it is really the racism that followed slavery that the repetitions should be for why limit it to descendents of slaves? Have other blacks not experienced that racism?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 1, 2016 ---
    Sounds good to me, if we catch people holding others as slaves as part of the punishment we should have large fines that are used to pay the people who have been freed.

16. thewap macrumors demi-god

thewap

Slavery is as old as human history.

To be fair Portugal should be held responsible for slave reparations as they were the first to start the trade in the west.

The fight against slavery was a worldwide phenomenon, with the US and western countries being at the forefront to abolish it... this something to be proud of.

Slavery still exists today...isn't that what we should focus on?

Slavery in the west chrono-
    http://www.reuters.com/article/uk-slavery-idUSL1561464920070322

17. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. We shouldn't pay any reparations.

18. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

Do you think it is fair that slaves were never recompensed, never being able to pass down to their children, who still suffer today, any type of inheritance?

19. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

There should have been something when they were released, but now it is too late, the people who deserve compensation are long dead.

20. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

LOL. They are free to write and say what they want. They are also free to get on a boat or a plane and never come back.

21. A.Goldberg macrumors 68020

A.Goldberg

As soon as I get my reparations as a decendant of holocaust survivors as well as the Egyptians as a Jew. My grandparents did receive reparations, but donated them to charity as they ended up being successful, realizing they were far more fortunate than most in the world.

I don't believe in reparations for slavery, as awful as it is. It happened over a hundred years ago and there are no slaves living today. No one today is responsible for the actions of their forefathers and my ancestors weren't even here.

I believe racism, and Antisemitism still exist. We currently have a black president, which doesn't mean racism is dead but it means achieving high status jobs is possible. Japanese-Americans have been interned and they have flourished. Jewish-Americans have always valued education culturally, making themselves successful. The Irish were to some degree valued less than slaves, because slaves had value, and they have flourished.

I sincerely empathize with the blacks of america, or anyone for that matter, who are struggling. The problem blacks have, in reading articles and talking to very liberal educators, is that not getting into colleges or affording colleges, but rather completing colleges. A lot of this has to do with upbringing, family values, and a lack of cultural value of education.

Sure, to some degree there is institutional racism, but I don't think it's the driving factor in black's achievements. I do think there is a societally impressed and self imposed stigma that blacks will never be as successful and people let that affect their performance. I don't think blacks are inherently less intelligent than other races.

I've posted an interesting article here a couple times comparing the academic success of US blacks vs Canadian blacks. The US has overall more widely available and cheaper college compared to Canada. Canada has a much better academic success. Basically for the afformentioned reasons.

There's no such thing as a level playing field. Everyone is born with advantages and disadvantages. If there is a meaning to life it probably has to do with overcoming barriers- whether that be financial, academic, career-oriented, health-related, physical, mental, spiritual, etc -Whether naturally, societally, or self imposed.

I grew up in a good family, had the opportunity to go to good schools, and live a good life today. From the outside it looks nice but I've had my own challenges to overcome most would not be aware of unless I told them.

22. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

Right how generous of the white guy your way above the rest for sure.

23. jdillings macrumors 68000

[​IMG]

24. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

If you are feeling generous have at it