Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bufffilm

Suspended
Original poster
May 3, 2011
iPhones have had a very convenient way to block numbers from calling again with the 'Block this Caller' feature.

Does an equivalent exist on Android?

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
From my understanding (And I may be wrong), Android doesn't have a proprietary blocking feature, only through third party applications.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
iPhones have had a very convenient way to block numbers from calling again with the 'Block this Caller' feature.

Does an equivalent exist on Android?

A similar option is there on my Galaxy S8. I'm not sure about stock android or other android OEMs, but I have to imagine it's an android option, not just samsung.

click the number in the recent call list. A Details button will pop up, click that -> click the 3 dots in the top right corner and choose block number (see attached screenshot)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170518-195059.png
    Screenshot_20170518-195059.png
    823.2 KB · Views: 119

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Nothing unique about iPhone's call blocking facility; it is common on all mobile phones, as far as I know.

I have it on my $20 Nokia. The call gets through, but the phone does not ring and the call is disconnected. It appears on the register of missed calls, but is tagged as a blocked number.

JackieInCo

Suspended
Jul 18, 2013
Colorado
Call blocking is in Android OS phone app settings. Just like with iOS though, the native phone app simply sends the call to voicemail.

I use an App called TrueCaller that stops spam calls automatically and I can also block a phone number that came in. I've also disabled my voicemail so that spammers can't automatically go straight to VM without even ringing first. Anyone who needs to leave a message can text me.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
I like Hangouts/Google Voice call blocking as the other party gets the "this number is no longer in service" message without ringing your phone and it doesn't go to voicemail.

Reactions: spinedoc77

spinedoc77

macrumors G4
Jun 11, 2009
I like Hangouts/Google Voice call blocking as the other party gets the "this number is no longer in service" message without ringing your phone and it doesn't go to voicemail.

Google voice call blocking is the BEST IMO. I find it totally confusing that Google doesn't push google voice at all. Honestly if they started charging a subscription for it I'd most likely pay with no hesitation, depending on the cost. It could and should be a huge money maker for Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.