Blocking MMS sent from web or email: Downside?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by alarob, Nov 27, 2011.

1. alarob macrumors newbie

I have begun to receive spam text messages on my iPhone. The frequency increased from about twice a year to twice a week.

Two things changed recently.
    1. I gave my phone number to some fifteen dozen college students, some of whom are naive about keeping personal info secure.
    2. I switched carriers, from AT&T to Verizon.
    Unwilling to just delete this garbage as it arrives, I changed two options provided by my carrier:
    1. Block all text messages sent from the web.
    2. Block all text messages sent from email.
    [​IMG]

My intention is to block spam while remaining available to friends, family, and students who want to text me. Is there a downside to choosing both of these options?

2. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

Well, obviously, someone legitimately trying to send you a message using email or the web would be inconvenienced. But it makes sense that if they are going to send you a text message, they do so from their phone.

My wife uses her phone as a pager, and the paging service uses a computer to send her text messages, so in her case she couldn't check off those boxes. If you subscribe to deals at a store or a restaurant, for example, where they send you coupons over text messages, you probably won't get those either.

Me, I could check both those boxes and be happy. :D

3. SomeonePlzHelp macrumors regular

First mistake:
    Giving your number to some fifteen dozen college students.

4. scaredpoet, Nov 27, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2011

scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would recommend two things:

1. Change your number.

2. Get a Google Voice number, and the Google Voice app. Give that number out to the 15 dozen students and anyone else who you suspect might give out your number without any regard to your privacy.

The Google Voice number can accept and send SMS, and will alert you through The Google Voice app, or SMS you at your real number. It's your choice. Voice calls also get forwarded to your cell number without the calling party having to know about it. Google also does some spam filtering, and you can selectively block spammers.

And worst-case, you can change your Google Voice number without changing your real number.

5. ZBoater macrumors G3

ZBoater

This is very good advice. Google Voice is free and very convenient and easy to use.

6. alarob thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the useful replies. I'll try out the settings I have now for the remainder of the semester, and next time I'll give my students a Google Voice number. This is advice worth passing on to colleagues who want to be available to students via SMS.