Blocking

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by eric/, Feb 5, 2012.

1. eric/ Guest

eric/

Hello,

I have a person who is continually calling/texting me and harassing me. Is there any way to block their number? I'm an ATT customer. So far all I've heard is that I have to either pay, or jailbreak my phone in order to do this.

2. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Yup you've answered our question AT&T charges verizon doesnt to block(Its temporary) or change your number

3. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

4. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Ok thanks. I remembered on one of my old Droid phone that I could do this, and was hoping perhaps I could on the iPhone as well without having to resort to non-native software.

5. wickerman1893 macrumors 6502

wickerman1893

This really is a setback in ATT in my opinion. Not that I have a lot of people who I would want to block but in the rare case it would be useful.

6. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well, in the case of them compared to Verizon blocking for free. yes.

But I know there are Android based phones that do it natively, which is why I assumed that the iPhone would have this as well.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I am sure if you called ATT and told them that this person was harassing you constantly they would waive the fee. Have you tried explaining your situation?

8. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Haven't called yet. Was hoping to avoid doing so and/or having to see if they would waive the fee. Looking for the easy way. :D

9. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, FWIW even the jailbreak app that blocks calls for you is a couple bucks. Not sure what ATT charges, but even going the "legit" way may be cheaper.

10. vietalogy macrumors 6502

Call at&t and add the block for one month. I'm sure after one month that person will think you have changed your number and then remove the block.

11. TWO2SEVEN macrumors 68040

TWO2SEVEN

They wouldnt waive it for me, but I think it's only $5 a month.

It's actually the parental control plan, i think you can block five numbers.

12. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Well, if you jailbreak, I think the software is exactly that price. It blocks an unlimited amount of numbers, and is a one time fee.

13. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Yeah, but you have to jailbreak the phone, which isn't something I want to do. I'm happy with my phone as it is.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys.

14. Mikesus macrumors 6502

Download a silent ringer, assign it to them. Problem solved.

Unless of course the girl is calling cuz you are the father. Then in that case you should actually do the right thing :)

15. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

No no, nothing like that. And it doesn't stop text messages either. :(

I still have to see that kind of stuff.

16. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

No. I shouldn't have to call AT&T every time I want to add or take away a number. I should simply be able to ignore the call just once and click an 'add to ignore list' button. That way, I don't have to stop what I'm doing, wait on hold, and have to explain to a stranger why I have to add some's number to the list, then call back again to add their home phone, work number, and so on. Not to mention, if it's a harassing company, they could have dozens of numbers.

Ignoring callers is a nifty feature that even my old non-smartphone, Samsung Eternity, had...and something that there's no reason a full featured, modern phone doesn't.

17. old-wiz macrumors G3

If you know who is harassing you, report it to the police.

18. Mikesus macrumors 6502

I know on the 4s I can assign text tone and ring tone. No it doesn't stop the texting, but it won't wake you up...

Course you could change your number too...

19. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Yeah but I still end up with the notification and the display of at least some of the contents before I delete the message.

and sure, I could change my text message notifications and all that, but I'd rather just be able to hit ignore/block number and just never have to hear from them again.

I love my iPhone 4, but I just wish it had this feature.

20. thatoneguy82 macrumors 68000

thatoneguy82

I had this problem and found out the AT&T service called "Smart Controls" for $4.99/month. You can block up to 30 numbers and it blocks their calls and texts. It replies to their texts something as like you aren't you aren't accepting it and same on the phone call. Blocking is immediate.

There are other options in there too that you can "control".

21. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

When the feature is free and built into the phone, it's useful at times when not even being 'harassed' by anyone... when on vacation, all work numbers would be temp added to the list.
    Obviously not something to report to the police or worth calling AT&T over, but helpful nonetheless.

22. eric/ thread starter Guest

eric/

Well yeah, but Verizon does it for free and other Android phones do it as well. I would have liked to be able to avoid paying for something like this. :mad:

23. Randylee59 macrumors newbie

verizons free

Verizon does it for free and it blocks texts too.Don't know about iMessage thoe.

24. DerekRod macrumors 6502a

DerekRod

Nope they wont need a police report to have the fee waived

25. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

So file a police report. BOOM.