Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Bloomberg: Apple's AR/VR Gaming Headset Plans Altered By Internal Divisions

wigby

macrumors 68000
Jun 7, 2007
Was stationary hub really referred to as AC powered in the article? Anyhow that was only a prototype, perhaps it was prototyped using a Mac mini.

The innovation that they prototyped successfully and is coming to new Macs is the wireless connection to the hi res display. it could connect to a full power desktop class or a laptop CPU with battery, but it’s the lack of an HDMI cable that is exciting.
There’s nothing exciting about a battery powered hub for wireless displays. It’s called Airplay on an iPhone and we’ve had that for years. That is why the only thing users are willing to carry on their person is something they already do, an iPhone. Adding more hardware for any application is one of the most non-Apple things I can think of and will never happen.

Comment

Amacfa

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
D.C.
we are talking about an actual device prototyped by apple. That device was a stationary box, plugged into the wall. Your hypotheticals are irrelevant. The original author of the piece says that ”stationary” means “plugged into the wall.”

Yes, one COULD make some sort of box you carry around (and maybe that would have the horsepower necessary), but that’s not what this post is referring to, or what “stationary” was referring to.

Fight and claw all you want. An AR device is meant to be taken with you wherever you go, at no point does stationary mean plugged in, nor does it make any sense.

I doubt apple was fighting internally between a device you can take anywhere, and a device that’s tethered to a single room.....But a small box that you wear on your persons to offload the heat and battery from the glasses, now that

Stationary does not mean plugged into the wall.

Your perception otherwise is irrelevant.

Think critically.

Reactions: HowardEv
Comment

cmaier

macrumors Core
Jul 25, 2007
California
Fight and claw all you want. An AR device is meant to be taken with you wherever you go, at no point does stationary mean plugged in, nor does it make any sense.

I doubt apple was fighting internally between a device you can take anywhere, and a device that’s tethered to a single room.....But a small box that you wear on your persons to offload the heat and battery from the glasses, now that

Stationary does not mean plugged into the wall.

Your perception otherwise is irrelevant.

Think critically.

Dude, I’m just going by what was actually reported. You can make up your own rumors if you want, but the discussion is about what was reported, not what you think Apple would have done.

Reactions: hipnetic
Comment

iMi

Suspended
Sep 13, 2014
Apple is a close-follower as we like to call it. They won’t jump in until the market it ripe for the taking. When they do, they will blow the lid.

Comment

Amacfa

macrumors 68000
May 22, 2009
D.C.
Dude, I’m just going by what was actually reported. You can make up your own rumors if you want, but the discussion is about what was reported, not what you think Apple would have done.

I’m just going by what is reported. It says nowhere “plugged in”.

By throwing around “plugged in” as aggressively as you are, you are making up rumors.

I’d like to discuss what was actually reported, not words you created from your imagination.

Reactions: HowardEv
Comment

SvenSvenson

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2007
Great...another example of Ive screwing things up thanks to his obsession with making things thinner.

The perfect VR headset/system just needs to be portable enough to be easily moved from one indoor space to another. No one uses these outdoors, as it isn’t safe to do so.

Not totally disagreeing, but it's not just VR but AR too, for which most applications *are* outdoors. also most people (i.e. no thardocre techies) want a product that works well and aesthetics are more important than tech specs, if it meets that standard.

Comment

4nNtt

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Having used the Oculus Quest, going completely standalone will be great. However, that separate box could have been an Apple Arcade companion that also functions as a console-class Apple TV that could take real ports of AAA games. The same games could then come to Mac. I'm really curious what the GPU will look like on Macs as we get to 16" MBP. Apple's GPU is great, but memory bandwidth limited for some pro apps and AAA games. I wonder if we will see a discrete GPU from Apple or paired with AMD GPUs.
[automerge]1592826722[/automerge]
Not totally disagreeing, but it's not just VR but AR too, for which most applications *are* outdoors. also most people (i.e. no thardocre techies) want a product that works well and aesthetics are more important than tech specs, if it meets that standard.

Apple Glass will probably work outdoors and the headset indoor only. Most applications are probably not for outdoors, but a few key ones like notifications and maps would be. Indoor uses are games, light field "holodeck" movies, virtual screen for traditional video, virtual computer monitors, zoom on steroids, virtually attending events, creative apps, interactive training/learning, and assembly or other visualizations.

Last edited:
Reactions: hipnetic
Comment

HowardEv

macrumors member
Jun 1, 2018
Medford ma
I’m just going by what is reported. It says nowhere “plugged in”.

By throwing around “plugged in” as aggressively as you are, you are making up rumors.

I’d like to discuss what was actually reported, not words you created from your imagination.
He’s thinking the ARM chip running at 90 W would set new performance records. But it’s more likely the performance will be about the same as desktop class, while using low voltage and not plugging in.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.