Bloomberg Endorses Obama, Obama is Best Candidate to Tackle Climate Change

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by 184550, Nov 1, 2012.

1. 184550 Guest

NYT

More at the link.

A real November surprise, eh?

Thought this bit was 'interesting'

2. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

3. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Well, the Messiah should have a better chance than anybody else to do something about climate change, to control tropical storms arriving to NJ, parting the sea, and so forth :D

Just kidding!

On the serious side, I prefer the climate we now have instead of an ice age. But that maybe is because it gets so darned cold where I live?

4. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The endorsements (or praise) from Bloomberg and Chris Christie have exposed the lie about Obama being incapable of working with Republicans.

It would appear that Obama is quite capable of working with Republicans ... so long as they're interested in working with him.

5. rdowns, Nov 1, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ezra Klein had an interesting observation. Bloomberg has now made climate change a centrist issue, not a leftist one. Good going Mr. Mayor.

6. 184550 thread starter Guest

Me too. I hope he's 'active' after his third term as Mayor.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

I liked him until he decided to fight NYC's term limits law to get himself a third term.

8. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

There's a reason he's been elected 3 times..Too bad he can't run again.

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

As I pointed out before, its the climate change we've always had...

10. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Yes, and it has been quite nice all my life.

11. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

And this is how it's always been. President Obama always had a good record of working on both sides of the aisle while he was a Senator.

From day one, many Republicans were hell-bent on not working with him on a single issue and just wanted to make him a one-term President. They have spent the last 4 years completely refusing to do anything and pass any bill that he supported, and now they are trying to blame their own actions on him. It's pathetic and I'm disappointed more people haven't seen through this earlier, but I'm glad people are starting to realize it now.

12. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

Just for the record: look at the list of members of Congress to see if passing Obamacare was in any way bipartisan.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

and that just going to point the blocking GOP has endless done. There is a reason they have been called the party of no.

Their idea of compromise is give us everything we want and then some

14. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

Well, it was pretty Republican when Romney wrote and passed it in Massachusetts. ;)

And if you are saying that no Republicans voted for it - you are proving his point. FYI

15. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

It might not be so pleasant for your grandchildren.

16. AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

All I was pointing out is that Obamacare was not a bipartisan bill, simply because it was pushed through by the Democrats. Also, the President does not need the approval of the Republicans for a lot of issues. He has the power to institute measures that affect the nation, and has done such without the Republicans.

As I have seen it for many years, there is no interest for both the Republicans and Democrats to work together, except for helping themselves and preserving their jobs.

----------

All depends. As long as the temperatures are warm enough, farming and the rest can take place. We need food to survive :) Now, if most of the world would be covered by a layer of ice several feet thick, it would be quite hard on our grandchildren to survive without food.

17. zioxide macrumors 603

zioxide

You just proved my point.

Obamacare was one of the few bills that the Democrats were actually able to get passed despite Republican opposition.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As stated ... it's because Republicans were NOT interested in working with Obama.

Obama showed ample desire ... too much in my estimation ... in working with them.

19. APlotdevice, Nov 1, 2012

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Except that higher temperatures will bring both more droughts and more flooding. Two things which can have a seriously negative effect on crops. Also some agricultural parasites would thrive in a warmer climate.

20. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Keep in mind that anthropogenic climate change isn't keeping an ice-age at bay, on the contrary we are accelerating and increasing the effects of warming. This warming will shift global weather patterns, creating large droughts in previously wet areas while possibly pushing hard floods in others and even shifting patterns in Europe so that the food supply decreases. What we're likely to see is large shocks in our current food supply and there's little guarantee that previously frozen areas, for instance, Siberia will become land available for farming.

Also, note, this may shift the grain supply from the United States to the heart of Russia, which has serious geopolitical implications.
    Areas like Bangladesh will flood, creating millions of refugees, and the Midwest may dry.

Global warming won't be linear, it will be chaotic which is why some have taken to call it global weirding. It will be hard to predict and hard for countries to adapt to such changes.

That's the concern, not just that a patch of Alaska might be more temperate, though consider an Alaska warm enough that the mosquito population never dies off.

21. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Get away. I saw him first. ;)

It is refreshing, a multimillionaire, more interested in his constituents then feathering his own nest.

Too bad about the 3-term limit, but can't have the people getting who they want all the time, right? :rolleyes:

22. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed. I still can't believe that New Yorkers elected him after that.

23. splitpea macrumors 6502a

As a New Yorker who voted for him... wasn't thrilled about the term limit thing, but on the flip side was glad to be able to vote for him again. IMO Bloomberg's been by far the best mayor we've had since at least the mid-80's. He's done a great job getting us through some rough patches, and he was the guy I wanted at the helm after the financial crisis. He isn't infallible, but honestly, the rest of the field was pretty pathetic. I just hope we get some halfway-decent candidates next year.

24. AlaskaMoose, Nov 1, 2012

AlaskaMoose macrumors 65816

As far as I understand it, Romney worked with a Democrat majority to pass Romneycare. However, this healthcare did not affect me in any way since I live in Alaska. Obamacare affects residents of all the States.

----------

Some of the Republicans as well as some Democrats opposed Obamacare either because it was an awful idea, or because they could not read thousands of pages before deciding how to vote. They just didn't have enough time.

----------

Yes, global cooling has followed every global warming. However, nobody knows when. For the time being all we can do is to enjoy life the best way we can. There in nothing President Obama nor anybody else can do to control nature. And even if the US imposes the most extreme rules to control human activities that may contribute to global warming or cooling, it still makes no difference since the rest of the world won't obey such rules.

There is something else that is very important as follows: the state of the US economy is not the best at the moment. We have over 22-million Americans without jobs. Unless something is done by the private sector about jobs creation, there won't be much sympathy relating to "climate." People are worrying about their immediate survival, not about the climate.

25. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I have a feeling ... and you're just going to have to trust me here ...

If the Republicans had said, "this healthcare thing is an interesting idea. But we just need a little more time to go over the details."

I think Obama would have been okay with giving them a little time to review the plan.