Blowing Compressed Air Into The 30 Pin Connector

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by flipster, Jul 15, 2011.

1. flipster macrumors 6502a

Well, I know that A LOT of people have problems with their home buttons after time. It kind of dawned on me that it only happens with time, which got me thinking.

Has anyone ever tried blowing compressed air into the 30 pin connector underneath the home button? That might work. Any risks involved when doing this

2. Dwalls90 macrumors 601

Dwalls90

I feel like the home button not working is just a factory defect, and the button may either be worn out or the "ribbon" it's connected to becomes faulty. I fail to see how blowing dust out of the 30-pin port would fix this, but it may be nice cleaning/maitenance.

3. f00f macrumors 65816

I do the compressed air thing often. I'm kind of OCD about not having dust and lint jammed up in there. Coincidentally my home button is spastic as hell. If anything I've added more debris behind the home button w/ the compressed air. :eek:

4. Givmeabrek macrumors 68030

Givmeabrek

Be careful with compressed air. It is easy to blow dirt, dust and even liquids from the can into the switches, screen and phone internals!! Take it very easy when blowing into the phone. :cool:

5. Tronic macrumors 6502

Tronic

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would advise against blowing compressed air in the dock connector. I did that once and now I have hundreds/thousands of dust particles under my screen and it's a pain to take a screen apart to clean it up. I have resorted to using a tooth pick to pick out the big pieces and just blowing with my mouth to get out the rest. As far as the home button, I don't think it would help at all. Maybe try taking the screen off first and then blowing it out. But definately don't blow into the dock connector.

6. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I would be worried about getting dust under the screen. From owning many iPods and 3 different iPhones I can assure you that those dock connectors can hold A LOT of dirt and dust and still keep working flawlessly.

7. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

+1 I have tons of dirt and crap in mine and I haven't had an issue. As long as the metal teeth make the connection, it will be fine. Blowing air is probably just going to cause more of an issue.

8. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

I've got an iPod that took one hell of a beating and was roughed around a lot (caseless) and I've had it since I was 13 years old and it will still connect to iTunes without flaw. So I don't think there's really a whole lot to worry about. ;)

9. Otaillon macrumors 6502

Otaillon

Just went to an Apple Store 3 days ago for a stuck home button and the guy blew compressed air into the 30-pin connector and my button was working again. Did it fix it? No because today it's still not working

10. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

And on top of that there is probably dust under the screen now.

11. Sherifftruman macrumors 6502

The dust under the screen was a problem with the 3G and 3GS. I had two replaced because of it. The original iPhone and the iPhone 4 have screens that are bonded to the digitizer and front glass so dust should not get under there, no matter what you do to the dock connector. Still might be better to use a vacuum though.

12. KidStallyn macrumors 6502

KidStallyn

It'll trip your water sensor. There's enough water content in the bottles that it been known to turn them pink

13. nostresshere macrumors 68030

Not sure that blowing air INTO the phone is a good idea.

Like trying to clean out your arse with an air compressor. You don't know what you will shoving up your butt!

14. RKilbane20 macrumors 6502a

I've taken in my iPhone to the Apple Store for dock issues and the first thing they do is spray compressed air and clean out the dock for dust. I don't think theres anything wrong with it.

15. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Now THAT'S a simile! :eek:

With that image in mind, I think I'll pass on the compressed air idea.

16. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

After reading this thread, I got a dust cleaner can and sprayed it into the 30 pin dock connector. A whole bunch of dust and lint came out! :eek: I'll be doing it maybe once a month now.

17. zorinlynx macrumors 601

zorinlynx

I use a vacuum cleaner instead of compressed air for cleaning stuff out.

A full sized vacuum cleaner creates a very powerful vacuum, and if you use the attachment with a small tip you can really concentrate that force where it's needed. I vacuum my dock connector from time to time, as well as the connectors on the docks I put my phone in. This keeps dust from constantly being shoved in.

18. dave006 macrumors 68020

Please use extreme caution using any dust / compressed air cleaning cans.

They have the tendency to introduce air the may contain very high moisture content which can trigger the mositure indicator in the dock connector. Please follow the instructions exactly and make sure to use small bursts.

A much better solution would be a small battery powered electronic particle vac to extract the dust and other particles rather then forcing them further into the iPhone.

Dave

19. Goforthejugular macrumors newbie

I've found that the best solution was to avoid the dock all together, and spray compressed air at about an inch away from the home button in a circular motion. Since doing this I haven't had a problem, home button feels brand new.