Blu-ray!! And another couple of nails in the PPC coffin

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Trev311, Jul 23, 2009.

1. Trev311 macrumors member

Released today are new versions of Final Cut Studio and Logic Studio. Final Cut Studio allows for the burning of Blu-ray media (at least the tech specs list a recorder as necessary for burning to Blu-ray).

Both of these also list an Intel equipped system as a requirement. Also Logic nodes are now required to be Intel. I guess PPC and universal binary are both almost completely dead, at least from Apple.

Final Cut Studio lists 10.5.6 as the minimum OS X version, while Logic Studio lists 10.5.7 . Now a real question, is are these OpenCL using apps? I know it would almost be silly for Final Cut Studio, but maybe Logic Studio is and that is the reasoning behind this release time? It isn't listed anywhere just a thought.

Lastly I know that there have been complaints about the new Mac Pros and music software (notably ProTools) can anyone (obviously not today, most likely) say if this helps improve Logic stability in general and on the newer Pros?

2. Genghis Khan macrumors 65816

Genghis Khan

lol...I did wonder about that Blu-Ray thing

wouldn't that mean that Blu-Ray would already be enabled in OS X?

3. 2002cbr600f4i macrumors 6502

It's one thing to have support to burn FILES to a BR disk...

It's quite another to allow playback of BR encoded MOVIES with all the copy protection and licensing and such involved...

4. admanimal macrumors 68040

You could already burn Blu-rays with Toast, but that doesn't mean that anything is built in to the OS. FCP just has its own blu-ray writing functionality built-in.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Yep, I can run my LG Blu-Ray ROM in Vista only. I havn't heard that this is going to change with SL. I would love it but I'm afraid we would have heared long time ago if this feature was added to SL.

6. wpc33 macrumors 6502

wpc33

"bag of hurt", huh?
    You know, maybe the granola eatin' phreaker had a point!

7. goMac macrumors 603

Well, to be fair, they're probably just burning Blurays in an unencrypted format, which may be why it's not widely advertised. Unencrypted Bluray disks are usually only good for production stuff. They usually won't play in most Bluray players, and it doesn't mean you can playback Bluray disks.

8. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I would be surprised if these applications don't take advantage of OpenCL when Snow Leopard comes out.
    Then again, they may have been working on this update since long before SL was even a concept:rolleyes:

9. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

What? Unencrypted discs play in most Blu-ray players I've come across. Why wouldn't they? It's the same file structure, just without DRM. DRM isn't a prerequisite for playing.

10. fluidedge macrumors 65816

fluidedge

why would it be silly for final cut to use openCL??

what use would logic users have for blu-ray BDs?

11. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Archiving is a use I can think of. It's handy to keep something on disc if it takes up a ton of space.

12. Dreamail macrumors 6502

No it is.

Most people don't know this but the BluRay specification -requires- DRM.
    Without it you're not within specs.
    Your player may or may not play the disk. But it is not guaranteed.

In that respect BluRay is not like DVD or HDDVD which both have DRM optional.

13. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

I have not read anywhere that DRM is a requirement on discs. Realistically it will be on just about every commercial release or pressed disc, but nowhere have I seen that a BD must have DRM baked into it to play on a player. If you'd like to link us to the relevant part of the requirements for playback devices, that would be great.

No blu-ray video disc I have yet burned had an issue with that, and I've yet to hear from anybody else either that their disc just wouldn't play in some players. It doesn't make sense to make DRM a requirement because the professional video industry doesn't need it for dailies or evaluation copies, which are likely to be burned on workstations on products in progress.

Again, willing to see more, but I feel like I would have heard something about this by now. Blu-ray and consumer burning equipment has been around for a while now.

14. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

replaced "this" with "OpenCL" as that is what I assumed you were talking about.

Logic should run well on the new Mac Pros - since hyperthreading was the problem AFAIK, in addition to the fact that Intel's new thing just happens to be virtual processing, Apple would be one sick entity to release a professional application that didn't run on its new high-end equipment.

I do not know much about OpenCL and how it would improve Logic stability, but it would make sense that in Logic that some operations are parallel, and thus the GPU could potentially execute those tasks. Like fluidedge said, however, why would it be silly for Final Cut to be making use of OpenCL?

Indeed - a link would be nice.

15. goMac macrumors 603

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ROM-Mark

You have to apply this to the disk to get it to play in all players, and it's licensed only.

Bluray did not launch with the ability to burn unencrypted movies. They had to modify the standard later, after a lot of players were released.

From here:

http://tech.yahoo.com/gd/create-your-own-blu-ray-video-discs/209061

"The Blu-ray spec does not require players to support playback of recordable media, and support among manufacturers and models varies. For example, the specs of the Samsung BD-P1500 state that it can play AVCHD discs (high-def DVDs), but not BD-R/RE media. And the Samsung BD-P1400 is not even rated to play AVCHD. By contrast, the Panasonic DMP-PD30K specifies support for BDMV discs burned to BD-R/RE media, as well as AVCHD. That means you can play discs recorded on high-def DVD camcorders as well as those you author."

Again, it's not really part of the spec. Everyone kind of went and did their own thing.

16. Trev311 thread starter macrumors member

There have been several comments on createdigitalmusic.com and elsewhere describing a general instability with Logic Studio (I guess Logic Studio 1) and I was generally hoping that the update will fix the stability issues regarding to that and any from the hyperthreading that may occur.

With regards to OpenCL I certainly would hope it can help Logic, but wonder if that might conflict with Logic Nodes. As far as Final Cut, my understanding of OpenCL was that it allowed for general processing to be done with a GPU and I would think that Final Cut already offloads video tasks to the GPU making OpenCL redundant. Am I not understanding OpenCL or Final Cut in someway?

17. California macrumors 68040

California

Final Cut upgrades today tied to PPC three year mark

Just thought it was interesting that the Final Cut upgrades today were not coincidence.

... they were tied directly to the last sales of PPCs.

In other words, when Applecare ran out.

18. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Probably that "three-year-cycle", or what-have-you. Although aren't there still PPC machines out there with AppleCare on them?

19. California macrumors 68040

California

Maybe refurbs. Will have to be phased out in next six months.