Blu Ray Camcorder? or HD Camcorder. Looking to buy does anyone have info?

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by lukacs46, Feb 17, 2010.

1. lukacs46 macrumors newbie

I have been trying to do my homework of buying a camcorder and now a Blu Ray camcorder has popped up and it seems as if they are cheaper. Can anyone help me with which way I should go? Blu Ray or HD?

I'm looking at to use it for home videos (honeymoon, parties, kids [one day])

2. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Definitely go with the HD camcorder. The bluray format is not picking up much steam, and it's a pain in the ass to work with. Go with either a flash-based camcorder or a hard drive based camcorder.

3. jgraider macrumors newbie

Why do you say that? I've read where the minidv hd camorders like the Canon Vixia HV30 can't be beat for pure video quality. Is there a flash drive HD camcorder that delivers that kind of picture quality for under $1000? Thanks for the help as I'm in the market for a user friendly, excellent pic quality hd camcorder.

4. gødspeed macrumors regular

gødspeed

Yeah MiniDV is also very good. I've used an HV30 and it's a great camera for the price. I just don't like the computer workflow when working with tape. But there's nothing good to be said about shooting straight to bluray, just as DVD camcorders were a total gimmick.

Flash-based camcorders that put out excellent quality for under $1000? I predict that the Canon Rebel T2i, which comes out next month, will be something of a revolution for student / low-budget filmmakers.

5. lukacs46 thread starter macrumors newbie

I was wondering why the Blu Ray was priced so low. I'm looking at the Canon Vixia HF S10 or S100. Should I go with one of those? or should I look into Panasonic?

Isn't the Canon Rebel T2i just a camara?

6. 2jaded2care macrumors 6502

Personally, I'm waiting for the new Canon camcorders to come out in April (HF S20, HF S21, HF S200). They will have LANC connections (for remote zoom controls) in addition to external mic inputs -- which are important to me for videotaping events -- and dual SDHC slots.

HDV format is on its way out. Flash memory recording is where everything is going. High bitrate AVCHD should (I hope) be equal to HDV, and ingest has to be less painful.

Rebel T2i will have HD recording capability, as do current Canon and Nikon DSLR offerings, but recording time apparently will top out at 12 minutes continuous. Not too bad for filmmakers (who also love select focus), but not too good for event recording (weddings, etc.).