Blue Line pattern, is My Screen About to Blow in My Face? (pics)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Bruce Lee, Oct 9, 2009.

1. Bruce Lee macrumors newbie

Everything was fine until today all of a sudden my screen filled with the pictured lines that continue to plague my screen.

I'm on a PowerBook G4 which i've had for 4 years, but it's been absolutely fine until this. The lines fade in and fade out, sometimes occupy the whole screen or patches. I've done the restart ram things but no help as well as going through my screen preferences etc.

Can you have a look at my pics and help me to banish these blue lines? Cheers!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. celticpride678

It seems like the graphics card is gone. There is nothing you can do about it, unless you want to pay Apple and have them fix it.

3. Bruce Lee thread starter macrumors newbie

can't i just hit it a bit?

so annoying, i really don't want to shell out 2K on another laptop, but don't want to polish a turd either.

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

I recognise that… Happened on my TiBook G4.
    It wasn't the graphics card so much as the connector that ran from it through the hinge to the screen.
    The opening and closing caused it to wear away over a few years.

Nothing for it but repair or replace. :(

5. Bruce Lee thread starter macrumors newbie

oh darn it, how much would that cost? Under £100?

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

No idea about costs since I never had it repaired. I retired it to a desktop, hooked up an external monitor and ran it that way… (which proved it wans't the actual gfx card that was faulty).
    Then bought a new PowerBook G4.
    :)

7. velocityg4 macrumors 68040

velocityg4

Unless you buy a used motherboard off eBay and do it yourself. The repair would likely cost more than replacing with a comparable used model.

I would say the repair through a tech would likely run as much as a first gen Macbook with some dings and scratches on the case.

edit: I just looked up the board for a 1.5Ghz PB. They run $175 on ebay. It would likely run at least another $150 for a cheap tech to replace it. A faster used first generation Core Duo Macbook would run $300 to $400 on ebay with base parts and wear to the case.

8. dmmcintyre3 macrumors 68020

$310 for any repair on Aluminum PB G4's if it was not caused by you.