Blue Screen of Death when gaming on MBP with Windows 7

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by Xystence, Jan 28, 2012.

1. Xystence macrumors regular

So I have always played games on my Mid 2010 MBP without any significant issues. I have played games on steam on both Windows and Lion without any issues. Recently I am having a problem though.

Whenever I try and play games on the windows side after about 5 minutes of game play the computer like throws a fit back to a BSOD and completely crashed. Sometimes to the point of booting up for a little while. Everything works without a problem on the mac side, I even tried the same game (Starcraft 2) on both and Mac I played for almost 30 minutes fine, windows I couldn't last 5 minutes. Same exact settings in the game.

I am also having this issue with SWTOR but I cannot test this on mac obviously. I have tried reloading the games, reloading windows. remaking and formatting the partition with windows on it. Does anyone have any advice for what may be causing this? I downloaded the newest drivers from apple, newest graphics drivers for the GPU. I cannot figure it out, I thought maybe my GPU was going out but it works fine when I play on Mac OS.

Any advice would be great thank you!

2. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

This is because Windows is a buggy and unstable operating system which has been prone to problems for eons. Windows was doing **** like this 15 years ago, and it still does it today. They haven't fixed crap with it. I would recommending sticking to Mac OS and you will be fine.

3. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Wow... What an extreme fanboyish response. Just shut up if you have nothing useful to say.

----------

My first instinct is to say you may have a bad driver installed.

Does it BSOD in general or just when you play a game? If it's just in-game, must be the display driver.

4. Xystence thread starter macrumors regular

I am only noticing this issue when inside games. To be honest I would stick to Mac OS if SWTOR were on Mac at this time, but thats not out yet. I tried Starcraft on both Windows and Mac OS, and this problem occurs only in Windows after only a few minutes of playing a game.

I took my MBP to the apple store and the diagnostic came back fine, so I think I'm good hardware wise.

When I am playing a game it will play fine for a few minutes, and then out of no where just either freeze the machine completely or jump to a blue screen of death. I have tried so many things.

This time I am going to delete the windows partition, load windows again, and download and install the newest nvidia driver for my GPU prior to installing Apple's driver set and see if that does anything.

Any other advice?

Thanks for your help!

5. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

BSODs are usually caused by corrupt drivers, overheating components, and sometimes just plain bad luck.

If you're getting it recently, I'd look into several things…
    1) Did you install new hardware recently? Even a mouse or flash drive could be the culprit.
    2) Did you update drivers for anything recently? If so, try rolling back to an earlier version and see if that resolves the issue.
    3) Is your computer getting proper ventilation? Listen and feel the vents on the computer, are both fans working correctly?

I get way more kernel panics in OS X than blue screens in Windows.

6. adnbek macrumors 65816

adnbek

Use google to look for "driver [graphic card model] bsod bootcamp" and see what you find.

I've seen other threads of bad Nvidia drivers running in Bootcamp so that may be a possible reason.

7. Adamantoise macrumors 6502a

Lol, what an idiot.

8. thefizzle657 macrumors regular

I suggest that you try and post the BSOD on a Windows forum to see if anyone can understand what the error is. There is a way to get the BSOD report which can then be copied and pasted. Someone should be able to decipher it and tell you exactly what is causing the BSOD. Without that info it is unlikely that anyone could effectively help you.

9. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

I'm no fan of Windows, but XP typically HAS been solid.

Vista is garbage, Win7 fixed a lot of problems (though others still remain, despite SP1)... but with enough RAM, even Vista can be stable.

And, depending on the quality of third party drivers... I prefer running Windows inside of VMs - they're easier to administer and back up, compared to boot camp or regular PCs.

I think your response is a tad overblown...

----------

When I had my 2009 MBP, I often went to nVidia's website for downloads. Eventually updated bootcamp drivers were released, but until that point - for video concerns - it was easier to go right to nVidia, and the drivers worked like a charm.

Still, for scores of reasons, Macs are best with OS X. :)

10. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Agreed.
    Also agreed, although it could also be a failing stick of RAM.. you should read your minidump files found in %SystemRoot%\MEMORY.DMP google minidump reader or read this: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315263

It will give you the best clue as to why this is happening. Good luck.