Blue wave?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by hawkeye_a, Nov 7, 2018.

1. hawkeye_a macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Did I miss it? Where’d it go?

Listening to NPR on my daily commute (like i need more reasons to raise my blood pressure), you’d think the regressives had major victories in the mid terms, and yet when i look at the numbers on BBC’s website, it looks like a ripple at best.

Anyone know how much each camp raised/spent on their campaigns? I remember hearing(on NPR) that the dems were outspending by some insane factor.

Maybe I misunderstood what they meant by “wave”?

2. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Nah - more likema tiny ripple. They took the House which is great and all but nothing will come of it. The worst part of it is having to look at Nancy Pelosis ugly face more than usual. :).

For all the rah rah rah that the bluebies were spewing, they didnt really do that much. Honestly, its gridlock as usual and most "normal" people wont see anything really change. Thats how its setup. Way too many representatives in Govt for anything to get done. It should be like a panel of 10 people with 7 votes needed to push stuff through. ;).

3. samcraig macrumors P6

Interesting analysis. I wouldn't call what happened a "wave" - but what happened last night is not remotely insignificant.

4. GermanSuplex macrumors 6502a

GermanSuplex

Not a wave, but the Midwest and the tariffs hurt even staunch conservatives. Trump will for the first time not have both chambers under his belt. And he will be forced to contend with Pelosi in a way he hasn’t before. I look forward to his future Twitter rants.

Lots of pickups in governor races too.

5. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Very Trumponian. This forum could use a thumbs down button.

6. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Seems pretty in line with the 538 predictions...

7. RichardMZhlubb Contributor

RichardMZhlubb

The Democrats are going to win the overall House vote by a bigger margin than either party in any midterm election in almost 30 years. This is what a blue wave looks like when you have to overcome a 5 to 6 percentage point gerrymandering advantage for Republicans.

8. ericgtr12 macrumors 65816

ericgtr12

Republicans lost the House, not sure how a single one of them can claim victory over that but we'll sure see them try today. None of the predictions showed Dems taking the Senate, it seems like the polls were mostly right in this one.

9. samcraig macrumors P6

100 women and many 1sts last night too.

10. mudslag macrumors regular

mudslag

The GOP was expected to lose the House and keep the Senate. So that's pretty much on par. I believe the Dems were expected to win more Governor spots and that was where they fell short.

11. lowendlinux, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

The D's largely accomplished what they set out to do what would concern me if I were in in power in the Republican party is the closeness of the win's, there's a lot of sub 3 point victories out there and the next one has POTUS in it which drives lazy turnout.

12. vertical smile macrumors 68040

vertical smile

Good for them Dems to pick up the house majority, but I wouldn't call it a blue wave. Not only did they not get the Senate, but it looks like they might end up losing a few Senate seats.

The Dems picked up some, but this is overall true.

Actually, in my deep blue state Maryland, Gov. Hogan has become the first GOP governor to win second term in Maryland since 1954. Statistically, this is a pretty big upset, especially from a such a blue state as mine.

13. R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Democrats won the house popular vote by what is looking like 9+ points. How is that not a wave?

14. raqball, Nov 7, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 7, 2018

raqball macrumors 68000

Blue puddle....

They lost seats in the Senate, State level is a wash and they lost some heavy hitters in the Senate...

I am usually all for a split government as it prevents one side from enacting garbage... Hopefully the (D) stop this resist, obstruct and impede garbage and actually do what's best for the nation now that they have some power back...

No doubt some liberals will try and justify this as a wave but not even close... A small puddle? Sure....

15. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

Taking 30 seats and flipping the House is a huge deal.

16. raqball macrumors 68000

As are the (R) Senate pickups and the (R) Gov wins... The (D) did well in house seats, no doubt but a wave this was not... Also, just about all their anointed darlings lost..

The only (D) darling winner is the one who thinks she gets inaugurated and can sign bills into law. The other who thinks it's ok to join the Taliban and kill Americans is still undetermined if she will win or not...

17. Huntn macrumors demi-god

Huntn

For a better gage of trends, let’s talk about it in 2020. :)

18. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

I gotta say the 19th CD electing a black Rhodes scholar, lawyer, former music producer to the House as their representative is a first for a conservative-leaning purple district with a large contingent of rural counties. Even the reddest of those counties turned up enough Democrats to make it clear that the Republican incumbent had severely misjudged the overall electorate's assessment of his votes on health care and the unfunded tax cut, among myriad other issues.

To me it seemed that another factor for Dems in the 19th CD was the GOP incumbent's pro-Trump votes for so much of the time in a purple district, particularly on legislation against consumers and workers. The dude knew his margin of victory in 2016, and it definitely did not justify his 90% attachment to the Ryan-McConnell view of how to enable some of Trump's anti-regulatory EOs and other agency rule rollback efforts.

Anyway, that district is mine, and one that flipped and so did help make the House blue again, and I'm really happy about it. Dem vote totals were the "losers" in most of the very rural counties of that district (like mine where Rs won 8.7k to 6.4k) but overall those Dem votes were enough to prevent the R votes in those rural counties from being enough to save the seat for the Republicans. Every vote does count.

19. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Amazingly, came out very close to what was predicted.
    No on was expecting the Senate to flip.

And that is what everyone was calling a "Blue Wave".
    --- Post Merged, Nov 7, 2018 ---
    Yes.
    Beto was within 3% of Cruz in a super deep red state.
    Better than I and nearly everyone expected.

In fact, Dems did so good in Texas, its turning purple.

20. hawkeye_a thread starter macrumors 65816

hawkeye_a

Beto lost. Despite out spending, and all the help/promotion from the entertainment industry.

Cruz won.

21. raqball macrumors 68000

Something like 70 million to 30 million........

T, Swift also had zero impact despite some (D) predictions she would.. Money and stars can't win elections no matter how much and how many you pour into them.... Obama was also a flop as just about everyone he campaigned for, lost!

22. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

Beto will be back, don't you worry. What he accomplished in TX was not only phenomenal but indicative of a bluer Texas as time goes on. But O'Rourke may well move on to the national scene for 2020 behind that showing in Texas.

Meanwhile another governorship race, this one in Connecticut, falls to the blues.

Dem Lamont takes CT governorship.jpg

23. JayMysterio macrumors 6502a

JayMysterio

My prediction? We start a new PRSI pool. We make a list of Trumponian excuses & start checking them off.

Because this minimal little splash in the pond will cause ripples we will be hearing for the rest of this administration.

Because 45 didn't get squat done with both halves of Congress, he'll be whining like a scalded schoolboy how he can't get anything done because the Dems won't obey his every wish. 45 was already his biggest enemy policy wise, blaming Dems for failures they weren't even involved in. How's he going to be when he actually has to consider koff negotiating ( Best deal maker evuh ) or comprising koff with the very Dems he's spent the last two years demonizing?

24. samcraig macrumors P6

Factually yes. But you can't ignore the margin and how close the race actually was. If the closeness of the race doesn't put some fear into the minds of Republicans it should.

25. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

Oh c'mon, lighten up folks. Geesh whizz. She IS hard to look at..... :D