Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!
  • Did you order new AirTags? We've opened a dedicated AirTags forum.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Sep 18, 2003
2,959
119
London, UK
Bluetooth 1.5 has been released in software update.

Details:

Bluetooth 1.5 for Mac OS X provides support for Bluetooth enabled headsets and printers.

NOTE: Headsets must support the Bluetooth headset profile and printers must support the Bluetooth HCRP profile. In order to configure and use a Bluetooth headset, the Bluetooth module must have the latest Bluetooth firmware from the Bluetooth Firmware Updater application version 1.0.2 or later (http://www.info.apple.com/usen/bluetooth/).

For information about using Bluetooth 1.5 or about making your Macintosh Bluetooth-enabled, visit the Apple website at http://www.apple.com/bluetooth/.
 

Nicky G

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2002
941
845
Baltimore
Here's why bluetooth is so great:

I have an internal bluetooth module on my iBook G4. I also have a bluetooth phone,t he Sony Ericsson t610. For $20 a month T-Mobile, my provider, offers unlimited internet connectivity through my phone.

Everywhere I go, where I have cellphone service, a can be online with my iBook, and I get full dialup speeds consistently where I live.

I do not need a wireless hotspot. I AM MY OWN HOTSPOT. heheheheh

And of course, my phone only has to be within about 30 feet of my computer. I don't need to take it out of my pocket and plug it in. I don't need to put it in any kind of special mode. It just works.

That's why bluetooth is so great.
 
Comment

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
19,240
5
Why Bluetooth is great...

its great because i dont have to try and use this little trackpad - instead i have this mouse that connects to my laptop without having to be plugged into anything....saves me time and desk clutter
 
Comment

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
80
0
Denmark
Doesn't work for me!

I can't get it to work with my Jabra BT200 headset.

When using "Set up new device", it says "Discovering...", then "Updating 1 device name", and then it goes back to "Discovering...".

When using "Pair new device", it reads the device name but returns an Authentication error.

I am using a Dlink bluetooth adapter.
 
Comment

Lancetx

macrumors 68000
Aug 11, 2003
1,991
619
Texas
Re: Doesn't work for me!

Originally posted by aggemam
I can't get it to work with my Jabra BT200 headset.

When using "Set up new device", it says "Discovering...", then "Updating 1 device name", and then it goes back to "Discovering...".

When using "Pair new device", it reads the device name but returns an Authentication error.

I am using a Dlink bluetooth adapter.

I believe you will need to update the firmware in your Bluetooth adapter first before it will work. The D-Link USB adapter won't work with headsets or the Apple wireless keyboard/mouse without first applying the firmware update available from Apple. It only works with newer revisions of the D-Link adapter, so that will determine if you can use it or not.
 
Comment

Mirus

macrumors newbie
Oct 29, 2001
16
0
MN
Aargh!

Where are all the great Bluetooth devices?

I have a 17" PB and have been waiting a year for some decent BT devices. Currently, I own only the Apple BT keyboard (sorry Apple, need a scrollwheel and second button mouse). This is THE reason to have BT... Why own a laptop if you have a Joystick, mouse, keyboard, power, speakers, etc... connected to it? I HATE wires!

Of course, we are soon going to run into limitations of BT so it's only a temporary solution. Don't expect to run all of these devices at the same time... Why can't somebody design something that's more than functional? USB suffered the same thing and now there's USB 1.0, 1.1 and 2.0 and it's still not perfect. Firewire, at least, was designed well from the outset (same with SCSI). BT needs to be 10+Mb, the range is fine but speed and latency are shying people away.
 
Comment

gekko513

macrumors 603
Oct 16, 2003
6,301
1
These latest "rumors" are not rumors but news! I want juicy rumors about new iMacs be they cubic, spheric or pyramdic, 65nm G5@5,0GHz, G3s with Altivec consuming 0,5W @ 2,44GHz, iPVPs, iBoxes and 30" displays for $1500.

But, seriously, I want an eMac with 1,33GHz G4 processor and DOUBLE DATA RATE MEMORY at the same price as it is now!!
 
Comment

russ816

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
3
0
What can the headset do?

I have the Jabra headset, and it pairs just fine. But it doesn't do anything... Is it supposed to? Am I able to send voice commands through it or anything?
 
Comment

idkew

macrumors 68020
Originally posted by Nicky G
Here's why bluetooth is so great:

I have an internal bluetooth module on my iBook G4. I also have a bluetooth phone,t he Sony Ericsson t610. For $20 a month T-Mobile, my provider, offers unlimited internet connectivity through my phone.

Everywhere I go, where I have cellphone service, a can be online with my iBook, and I get full dialup speeds consistently where I live.

I do not need a wireless hotspot. I AM MY OWN HOTSPOT. heheheheh

And of course, my phone only has to be within about 30 feet of my computer. I don't need to take it out of my pocket and plug it in. I don't need to put it in any kind of special mode. It just works.

That's why bluetooth is so great.

you can do this same thing for $4 a month with t-mobile
 
Comment

idkew

macrumors 68020
Re: What can the headset do?

Originally posted by russ816
I have the Jabra headset, and it pairs just fine. But it doesn't do anything... Is it supposed to? Am I able to send voice commands through it or anything?

ditto... what does it do? i see no references to headsets, besides the aforementioned one.
 
Comment

Nicky G

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2002
941
845
Baltimore
Originally posted by idkew
you can do this same thing for $4 a month with t-mobile

Actually, no. You can get some web browsing for FREE each month through T-Mobile. But you only have access to HTTP, SMTP, POP, and IMAP ports. I wanted the real thing, with no blocked ports, and a real IP address. That's worth the $20 a month plan to me -- seeing as all their competitors charge $80/month for the same thing.
 
Comment

aggemam

macrumors member
May 7, 2002
80
0
Denmark
Re: Re: Doesn't work for me!

Originally posted by Lancetx
I believe you will need to update the firmware in your Bluetooth adapter first before it will work. The D-Link USB adapter won't work with headsets or the Apple wireless keyboard/mouse without first applying the firmware update available from Apple. It only works with newer revisions of the D-Link adapter, so that will determine if you can use it or not.

I have the first old original Dlink one ... :(

However, I now got it to pair with the headset, but like another person mentioned, I cannot find anything useful to do with it ... I would have expected it to show up as a sound output and input source in the "Sound" prefpane - but it doesn't!
 
Comment

meta-ghost

macrumors regular
Apr 9, 2002
230
0
San Francisco
Originally posted by Nicky G
Headsets are for use with iChat AV. Not sure if it requires the new 2.1 beta.

or... apple's speakable items (in system prefs) - can be fun. in addition, i'm using ibm's viavoice for text input.
 
Comment

Nicky G

macrumors 6502a
Mar 24, 2002
941
845
Baltimore
Originally posted by meta-ghost
or... apple's speakable items (in system prefs) - can be fun. in addition, i'm using ibm's viavoice for text input.

Does the bluetooth headset show up in the sound pref pane for you?
 
Comment

russ816

macrumors newbie
Feb 5, 2004
3
0
No the headset does not appear in the Sound Prefs pane. I'm using the Jabra BT200. Has anyone gotten this one to work?
 
Comment

jorisx

macrumors newbie
Dec 3, 2002
13
0
europ
okey, I've this "mycom" bluetooth dongle but I can't see any version of the firmware any where ... does anyone know where you can see the firmware version and how to update this?

J! :)
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.