Bluetooth 4.0 Tethering Speed

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by javisan, Sep 28, 2013.

1. javisan macrumors regular

First of all, I know that wifi tethering is the best in terms of speed. I'm just curious as to why my iPad 3, which has Bluetooth 4.0, does not go over 2 MBps when tethering with my iPhone 5. I also tried it on my old iPad 2 and got the same speed as with the iPad 3 and the iPad 2 has Bluetooth 2.1.

This doesn't make sense, wasn't Bluetooth 4.0 supposed to improve speeds up to a maximum of around 26 MBps? I'm not expecting that speed, I just expected it to be a bit faster than Bluetooth 2.1, maybe 4-5 MBps.

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Bluetooth 4 just adds low power abilities to Bluetooth 2.2+EDR. It's Bluetooth 3, which is not a part of 4, that adds faster data bitrates.

3. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Max data rate is low on Bluetooth. You may have mistaken it for file sharing features of BT 4.0 which utilizes wi-fi to send the actual file after pairing two devices over bluetooth.

4. javisan, Sep 29, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2013

javisan thread starter macrumors regular

Got it, thanks for the clarification. At least we get even better battery life. I will using Bluetooth to tether to my iPad, the speed is not great but it's passable for what I do on the few times I tether.