Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Since upgrading to an iPhone XS Max, bluetooth audio automatically starts playing when I enter my vehicle. The issue is data consumption since it streams in the background even if the iPhone is not the audio source in the vehicle. Often is there is little to no indication it is streaming unless I look down at my Apple Watch (try not to look at the phone and swipe around too much while driving). Is there a setting I can change to stop the auto play. Recommendations I've found is to disable cellular data for Music, but I do stream Apple Music at the gym over cellular daily.

iPhone XS Max
iOS 12.1 and iOS 12.1.1
2017 Telsa Model X

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
It was already like that when I was using the X
I guess you will have to turn off data usage on the music app under the phone setting

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
I'm going off topic here. How long have you had your tesla and do you love it? Do drive it in snowy conditions and if so, how does it handle?

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
I drive the model 3 and have it for 2 months. Before taking ownership, read lots of reviews and forum saying best cars ever and I must say it still exceeds my expectations.
I am in the west coast so can’t comment on snow driving, but if you read around it’a not an issue

Reactions: Mac'nCheese

sdwaltz

macrumors 65816
Apr 29, 2015
Indiana
In any car I’ve ever owned with Bluetooth, that’s how it works. It automatically connects and starts playing. Most people want it that way.

Glad you like your Tesla though!

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
Coming from many years owning BMWs, the Tesla build quality and materials are subpar for the same tier vehicle (not to mention the EV premium). The Model X has been in service more than any car I’ve ever owned. Everything from parking sensor failures, airbag sensor failures, door latch failures; all out not powering on or complete driver assistance failure. After 3 months we had to have a tow truck drag one of our Model X out of the garage. The initial customer service was great and we were given extended warranties and service plans. However, now it’s long delays and failed promise dates.

Sad that there’s not a better way than to turn off cellular data for music. BMW lets you select what you want the Bluetooth connection to serve as.

hr10

macrumors 6502
Jun 20, 2009
My friend Model X is experiencing similar issues. I also agree the fit and finish is no comparison to the European brands.

BrianBaughn

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2011
Baltimore, Maryland
Are you talking about Apple Music playing? Does it start playing the first song in your library?

If so...and until someone comes up with a real "fix"...you could do what I did to prevent this from happening in rental cars: Create a completely silent "song" of your own in something like Audacity, make it as long as you need, name it "AAA Silence" so that it will play first, and download it to your iPhone so that playing it uses no data.

crf8

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2017
In any car I’ve ever owned with Bluetooth, that’s how it works. It automatically connects and starts playing. Most people want it that way

Anything that starts without me asking it to, is annoying!

shortcut3d

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 24, 2011
The playlist seems completely random, if it’s even a playlist. I recently started fresh on 12.1.1 while troubleshooting LTE connectivity with Apple Tier 2 support. The only downloaded playlist I have is a jazz compilation. The car never plays the downloaded list. Previously, I had two other playlist downloaded that also never played. The music app seems to want to randomly pull from my iCloud Music library that I converted when I went to Apple Music. It really is eating data if I don’t remember to pause the stream (there’s not even a good ole fashion stop option). With California commutes, this could be hours a day of unnecessary streaming OR a major annoyance.

FWIW, I got my Model X back from service and the service center did not fully reassemble my dash. My son first noticed the missing pieces on the floor in the back. Poor workmanship across the board. Unfortunately the charging infrastructure is so great, I’ll probably lease from Tesla again. Unless, Tesla opens up the network.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.