Bluetooth, FM Radio and more on the iPt - just an update away?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by br0adband, Sep 30, 2008.

1. br0adband macrumors 6502a

br0adband

2. YodaEXE macrumors member

Wasn't it already shown that the chips in the Touch broadcast at a different frequency that's only useful to the Nike+?

3. br0adband thread starter macrumors 6502a

br0adband

All I can say for sure is the chip that apparently is in the iPt 2nd generation models is fully capable of Bluetooth support across the full spectrum as those specs show. It is entirely possible that Apple is limiting the capability with their firmware, at least for the time being, but I can't believe they'd be stupid enough to simply blow off the market for Bluetooth accessories and even throw in FM radio support as well.

It's all in that chip, now it's up to Apple to either open it up for developers to make use of it with Apps or blow everyone off yet again till next year and the 3rd generation iPt which is obviously being designed as we speak.

I passed on an iPt because of hardly any expansion capability at all in favor of a Dell Axim that blows it outta the water in that respect - I might reconsider my line of thinking in the future IF Apple gets off their keisters and stops stringing people along.

Just open the iPt fully, dagnabbit... idiots keep tossing out little updates and additions like table scraps to starving dogs or something. It's ridiculous and a lame practice... but then again, I'm talking about Apple. Go figure...

4. 840quadra Moderator

840quadra

Staff Member

The idea sounds promising, however you must remember that chips can be re-flashed /modified/ or crippled for either dedicated, or multiple purpose applications. Along with that, portions of the chip may not even be connected in such a way (read pinouts) to support those features, and the iPod may be missing required support hardware (or components) for those uses.

A good example of this is contained in the ARM processors found in many iPods (if not all?). There were quite a few features built into those chips that were not ever used on the iPod (could get way technical here).

With that said, I am seriously on the side hoping for extra features to be introduced later (like 802.11n "Upgrade patch" for the early Macbooks), however I am somewhat doubtful in this case.

[​IMG]

5. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

My theory is that Apple put that chip in there so they would have choices. Nearly every other player has FM. many have FM recording. The Zune just got a feature that lets you flag a song you hear on the radio for wifi purchase from Zune Marketplace. Every Zune got it, including the very first model. As for Bluetooth, Samsung's top players have it and really push it's value. Sandisk is 2nd place (by a long shot) in the media player realm, but Samsung is positioning to buy them. Should that happen Bluetooth will be a significant likelyhood on most of the competitors out there. Sony, iRiver, Insignia and others have Bluetooth. If Apple feels the need to bump up the features each year, having that broadcom chip in there makes it very simple.

6. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 16GB: Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F138 Safari/525.20)

the iPhone has had bluetooth since day one and still the only thing you can do with it is connect to a handsfree set. Can't see Apple being in any hurry to do anything with the touch...

7. Ivan P macrumors 68030

Ivan P

I was just about to post the same thing. Apple has crippled the iPhone's bluetooth compatibilities, so there's no way they'd let the iPod touch do more when, ultimately, it's a watered down iPhone to begin with.

8. MaxPower49 macrumors 6502a

If it already has the ability to do bluetooth and FM, why not enable it now and advertise it as a feature?

Just so they can charge us more to enable it with a firmware update in the future?

9. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

well how else could they make a monthly "service" charge from itouch owners.

10. 4DThinker macrumors 68020

I know people who have bluetooth devices but have never used that feature. I know people who hate even the concept of bluetooth despite never having used it. I also know that every person whom I've given a listen to of my Sony BT50 headphones from my Samsung P2 has instantly gotten it. No wires. Apple is living on past success. White earbuds are a sign of social compliance. They don't HAVE to enable Bluetooth, yet if they would bundle a bluetooth enabled 8gb touch with a $50 bluetooth headset they could charge $299 again. IMO word would get around about how much nicer no-wires was that soon the market for plug-in earbuds would fade away.

11. br0adband thread starter macrumors 6502a

br0adband

Apple doesn't do things because they're smart things to do. Apple does whatever the hell it wants, regardless of what consumers might like, and when enough consumers complain or say "Hey, we want this in this iPod" or something to that effect, that's when Apple perks up, takes note, and puts the capability in the next generation product and you have to pony up the cost yet again to get it.

There was nothing stopping them from putting 3G capability in the first iPhone, but the fact that they knew if they didn't do it the first time out that people would, of course, complain and whine and moan and talk about it - but it would create massive interest in "what's next." The effect generated press and excitement and desire for round 2, iPhone 3G, and even with the lowered cost because of the AT&T subsidies, the sheer volume of iPhone 3G sales is probably triple (barely 3 months into sales) of the original iPhone itself.

They've been doing this for decades, I really can't imagine them doing business any other way. They don't make money by creating great products: they make money by almost giving the customers what they really want and hinting at such things "for future versions" and then roll out the same product with an enabled feature or two the following year at some unannounced last minute event and drop a bomb on the sheeple when Steve pulls another magic item out of his Reality Distortion Field... and then the sheeple flock to Apple Stores to buy yet another iPod that could have had the features earlier. Go figure.

I thought people had figured this out by now. :) Microsoft (dare I say it) has the right idea with the Zunes. The capabilities are there already in the hardware and those folks that bought a 1st generation Zune what, nearly 2 years ago next month, just got the features and new "stuff" in the latest v3 update, including the games (yes, they suck, but even so). And yes I wish the damned thing had a browser of some kind to make the Wi-Fi actually useful but whatever. The point is they have the right idea: people spend a chunk of cash on an item and adding capabilities in firmware updates is a relatively easy thing to do as long as the hardware supports the functionality.

Adding Bluetooth support and FM radio capability - something that seems 100% possible right at this moment based on the specs of that Broadcom chip - to the iPt with an "update" at some point in time will do absolutely nothing to iPhone sales but it sure would make a lot of 2nd generation iPt owners damned happy.

It won't even make a ding in iPhone sales, so the whole idea of "biting into iPhones sales" by such an update is ridiculous.

12. YodaEXE macrumors member

It's not about stealing sales from the iPhone. Why would Apple want the iPod Touch to have more features than the iPhone does? It just doesn't look good for them, thus they will NEVER do it, unless the iPhone also gets those updates.

FM radio I could see happening, but Bluetooth will never happen on the iPod Touch unless the iPhone gets more of its Bluetooth abilities unlocked at the same time, and I sincerely doubt Apple would do that because they want to force you to do what THEY want you to do with your product.

13. quick5pnt0 macrumors regular

Bluetooth, FM Radio? Sure I'd love to see those unlocked (if possible) but lets face it, this is the same company that has refused to give us Flash and copy/paste. No way we're getting FM radio, and even less likely, Bluetooth.