Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Are there any bluetooth headphones that would work well for cutting the grass?

I thought I saw some around the holidays last year at Home Depot...

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
I've used both LG Tones and have recently bought an over the ear pair of Sony BT earphones. The Sony's are really really good. Plus about $100 less than Beats. But both work well for mowing. I've used them all summer.

----------

I've used both LG Tones and have recently bought an over the ear pair of Sony BT earphones. The Sony's are really really good. Plus about $100 less than Beats. But both work well for mowing. I've used them all summer.

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-MDR10RBT...290&sr=8-1&keywords=sony+bluetooth+headphones

jsalicru

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2004
Austin, TX
Jaybird bluebuds X is the way to go. Mine get used almost daily for running, cycling, conference calls, hands free around the house, mowing the lawn, etc.

Great sound, range, and battery life

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010
Jaybird bluebuds X is the way to go. Mine get used almost daily for running, cycling, conference calls, hands free around the house, mowing the lawn, etc.

Great sound, range, and battery life

Thanks, those look pretty nice. I wasn't sure if I should get any that offer more ear protection while using lawn equipment (blower, mower, etc...).

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Bluetooth headphones will not cut your grass! :D

Just kidding. The suggestions for headphones here are good. If you're looking to protect your hearing and make it easier to hear, you should do what I do. Wear hearing protection earmuffs over your in-ear buds. This way, the mower sound is relatively quiet, and you don't even have to turn the music up very loud. It feels like you're just taking a nice walk around the yard. I'm a musician, so I'm very protective of my hearing. Yes, they look a little dorky, but I don't really care what people think.

Here's the style I'm talking about, but you can generally get these in home improvement stores or sporting goods sections, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-S...403627401&sr=8-10&keywords=hearing+protection

rpearlberg

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
May 22, 2010

Just kidding. The suggestions for headphones here are good. If you're looking to protect your hearing and make it easier to hear, you should do what I do. Wear hearing protection earmuffs over your in-ear buds. This way, the mower sound is relatively quiet, and you don't even have to turn the music up very loud. It feels like you're just taking a nice walk around the yard. I'm a musician, so I'm very protective of my hearing. Yes, they look a little dorky, but I don't really care what people think.

Here's the style I'm talking about, but you can generally get these in home improvement stores or sporting goods sections, etc.

http://www.amazon.com/3M-Peltor-X-S...403627401&sr=8-10&keywords=hearing+protection
Why didn't I think of that?? I can use my current in-ears (which are wired) and then put these over them...

posnera

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2010

Absolutely this. Use the savings to upgrade your IEM if you want.

Vertigo50

macrumors 65816
Apr 11, 2007
Why didn't I think of that?? I can use my current in-ears (which are wired) and then put these over them...

Yep, that's what I do. I have Bluetooth headphones I use for running, and I love the lack of wires, but I need the hearing protection, and they are over the ear style. So I just use the Apple Earpods with the hearing protection and it works great.

Speaking of "why didn't I think of that?" concepts: Do you find that the Earpods don't fit well or fall out of your ears a lot? Throw a few of these badboys on there. Not only do they fit better, but they actually seal in your ear better. This makes the Earpods go from "cheap throwaway earbuds" to "These are my favorite earbuds!" in my opinion. :D

http://www.amazon.com/SoftRound-Ear...&qid=1414213182&sr=8-2&keywords=earbud+covers

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.