Bluetooth remote

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by 92jlee, Apr 19, 2013.

1. 92jlee macrumors 6502

Hello Everyone,

I'm wondering if there is either a product or a market for a product which I can best explain as a bluetooth remote for IOS devices. My basic idea is that I wish to use a headset whilst riding my motorcycle.

Official bluetooth kits cost a fair bit, so I was thinking headphones with a 'BT Remote' attached to either my wrist or dash so I can skip songs, volume and a Siri button.

I used to use my Sony Ericsson MBW-150 to change music and answer calls on my android device but can't find much for my iPhone. I could use the headphones with a built in remote but whilst riding with thick gloves that might be difficult plus I was going to fit an old set of headphones built into the helmet.

This could also be useful for when I have my iPhone plugged into the dock on the other side of the room and want the remote features.

Any ideas?

2. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

A couple companies make everything you seem to be asking for. Jaybirds come to mind. The control is built into the headset, not something that goes on your wrist though. While I like the wrist idea, it would require one more Bluetooth connection and another thing to charge.

3. 92jlee thread starter macrumors 6502

Hello, thanks for some input - I thought these forums would be really busy. I've just looked into the Jaybirds and the problem would be the remote is too close to the buds so I couldn't reach into my helmet with my gloves on.

If there's no such product what about a long wired headset with a remote which will work with the iPhone? (not buds though - I could break apart the headphones and put the speakers in the helmet permanently.)

4. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I'm unaware of any such product. However, if you are willing to break things apart, you could modify the location of the actual remote part to your hearts content. It's a couple simple wires you'd need to solder and that's it. I just assumed you wanted something completely stock.

5. Neokiller309 macrumors member

If I'm not mistaken, There are some companies that sell helmets with built in speakers and bluetooth controls. That would probably be the cleanest and best option.

6. 92jlee thread starter macrumors 6502

I was thinking if I could find headphones with a mic and remote for a decent price I could try extending the remote portion down my arm so I could control it in my gloves - depending on the wires I could have a different finger for a different use (pause, skip, vol ect)
    Don't suppose you would know any headPHONES not earbuds that have a mic?

----------

There are many Bluetooth adapters that stick to your helmet but they are pretty expensive, having just bought the bike, paid the test and insurance I'm a little poor at the moment.

7. lordofthereef macrumors G4

lordofthereef

I know anything by monster pretty much does. So do skull candies. Even higher end companies like Bose do it. I guess it depends on how much money you are willing to drop on a pair of headphones you are wanting to gut. Skull candy should probably be the cheapest. You can get those well under $50 all day long.

8. zzamud macrumors member

I use scala riders. Great for iphones and talkn to riders your with. If u lookn just to answer phone play music and such. Use stock headphones Place n ear run volume/answer swith to your lips and mouth put on helmet. When u want to play music bite switch softly to play/answer phone. Just dont put switch all the way n mouth or spit will soak switch and headphones unuseable