BMW. Joy of Driving to some. Racist panzers to others.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by renewed, Sep 23, 2011.

1. renewed, Sep 23, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2011

renewed macrumors 68040

renewed

Here is a thread where we can continue the discussion from the BMW owner thread so that it gets back on track.

[​IMG]

2. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

I want a BMW 335i, but it's just not worth blowing $45K on considering the economic situation!

3. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If Jews aren't supposed to drive German cars, someone needs to tell the people at my (former) synagogue. Go there on any given Friday night and the parking lot looks like a used German car dealership.

4. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Oh it's worth it! :p

Just look at it as not only money for transportation but your entertainment fund as well.

5. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Think how many Macs can be bought with $45K. I've already got transportation covered for the next 4 years.

6. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

2 Mac Pros and an iMac. :D

7. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

That's 2 super-super-loaded Mac Pros and a super-loaded iMac.

8. barkomatic macrumors 68040

Nice car. Not for me though because I have a staff of personal drivers (the cabbie driver and subway train conductor).

9. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Test driven them several times but they never do it for me. I'm an Acura guy, on my 5th one now.

10. heehee macrumors 68020

heehee

I love BMWs. My wife has a 128i, 6 speed and I have a Mini Cooper. They are the ultimate driving machine. :cool:

11. BEN779 macrumors 6502

BEN779

I've owned 4 BMW's in 15 years, I just can't seem to find anything that comes even close, especially road handling. I wouldn't mind owning an Acura next thou.

12. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

I've seen plenty of young Chinese and Koreans driving Land Cruisers, too. Ironically, this is the "political" thread and it's all civilized discussion of driving fun. :p I guess war reparations were/are a valid question for many of these companies (and there are a lot of them), but in the balance, BMW is a great example of beating a sword into a plowshare.

As far as the driving part is concerned, they're really fun to drive (but people who own a 1 or 3 series with an automatic transmission should be shot). I wished they offered more environmentally friendly options for the US. Given that even Mazda, perennial stalwart of fun to drive and we don't care about fuel economy, is getting the 3 with a 40mpg SkyActiv engine here, I'd like to see BMW do better. I'm not at all sure what I want next, but I'd have a hard time considering BMW if they don't address this.

Which will probably push me to another Mazda, a Fiat 500c, or a Mini....

13. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Ouch. What if I keep it in Manual mode :p

14. Abyssgh0st macrumors 68000

Abyssgh0st

I think the idea that your nationality (in relation to past grievances) should determine your economic choices is total ************. A little dramatic, if you ask me.

On BMWs.. I adore them. I've wanted one since I was 7 years old. I almost got an 2003 328i for my 2nd car but was a little scared off by the miles (75K). I would just hate for something had to happen and have it be über expensive.

My dream car was an M3 for a very long time, but I think I'm actually changing it to the 1 Series M Coupe- What a fantastic and beautiful vehicle. The true successor to the E46 IMHO, which captured my love for BMWs in the first place.

15. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

16. balamw Moderator

balamw

Staff Member

I added it to the OP. This thread is reserved for the PRSI aspects that do not belong in that thread.

B

17. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Then you can play "Let's Pretend I Really Know How To Shift" :p ;)

C'mon, man-up, get one with an actual clutch!:D

If having a 3 Series with an automatic is bad - I've seen people with Z 4's with automatics! :eek: Now that is truly a crime and should be punished in some unimaginably cruel manner.

I have a Z 4 M Roadster - it's a beast. (Yes, 6 speed) :cool:

18. TheSideshow macrumors 6502

As someone with an automatic 330i dailydriver who can drive stick just fine (Drive an '05 Acura TL, '88 vette, and '06 Mini Cooper in sticks often/more than my BMW now-a-days), I actually prefer that my daily car is/will be an auto.
    I like to cruise when I drive and almost kind of relax by paying attention to the road and having a hand free. Nice and smooth turns are more fun to me than shifting and the places I drive (Bay Area a lot and Central Cali) are all full of traffic/inclines anyways.

I do think that sticks are great though and everyone should know how to drive one. And when I want to drive-drive, it will be in a stick. But for convenience, my daily (which will hit a lot of traffic) is an auto.

19. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Point taken.:)

When I used to have to commute to work using Boston's Southeast Expressway (an 8 mile parking lot), I will admit constantly working the clutch was rough on the left leg.:(

20. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

Anything over 5 minutes would mean the time I drove a 1995 M3 and an M6 (2007?).

The M3 was an absolutely magnificent driving machine and of course it had the correct transmission, a manual. The M6 had some schizoid automatic though.

And in the spirit of PRSI only a puke liberal would dump on such fine engineering :D

(anyone can go ahead and poo-poo the maintenance schedule though ;) )

21. bassfingers macrumors 6502

bassfingers

Theres too much connotation to owning a BMW for me. When I got to school, people definitely openly bashed "BMW punks".

For instance, when someone pulls up in a BMW, it seems to me like they always feel the need to make an argument for how they aren't a rich jerk- and people are rarely like: "Hey, sweet car". I think the opposite is true for Audi or Acura. People just admire the cars.

I can't say anything on quality as I've never driven a BMW. I've ridden in a few, and I will openly say that they seem very nice on the inside

Note: I am very aware that these are completely personal opinions and I have no backing for my points

22. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

BMWs are the "ultimate driving machine" right? But to take advantage of that you have to drive on twisty roads. Otherwise it's just a big statement that you're a damn yuppie.

23. renewed thread starter macrumors 68040

renewed

Clearly neither of you nor the naysayers have owned a BMW.

24. KingCrimson macrumors 65816

Explain me the advantage in city driving that a BMW gives over a normal car, other then being a status symbol.