BNP leader [Nick Griffin] pelted in egg protest [outside Parliment]

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by edesignuk, Jun 9, 2009.

1. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

BBC.

Bravo. Couldn't have happened to a nicer fellow.

For anyone not aware, Nick Griffin is a convicted Holocaust denier, and leader of the BNP 'we're not really Nazi's, but we are' political party, they have just won 2 seats in the European Parliament.

2. Bennieboy© macrumors 65816

Bennieboy©

indeed, the country needs sorting out but his ideas aint the answers

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

It's a shame that they weren't using hard-boiled ostrich eggs.

Just in case the Boys in Blue are monitoring: I'm not advocating attacking a fine, upstanding member of our political class... honest, guv!

5. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

BlizzardBomb

6. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

It's not the boys in blue you should be worried about...

7. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

I was very happy about this. It is encouraging that the protesters plan to do this at all of his public outings.

To the credit of the boys in blue, many of them aren't too upset to see people like Griffin pelted with eggs... or at least that was the case about 10 years ago. The worst warning I ever had about throwing things at the BNP was "be careful, you might hurt someone."

8. AppleMatt macrumors 68000

AppleMatt

I think he's an absolute idiot and the 'values' the party stand for are atrocious. That said, there are better ways of getting your message across than breaking civil and criminal law.

So I don't agree with throwing eggs at him. Otherwise, where does it end? We can all start hitting each other for things we don't agree with. I'll start with the people moaning about iPhone contracts.

AppleMatt

9. edesignuk thread starter Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

No argument there! ;) :D

10. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

We have a long and honourable history of throwing eggs and rotten vegetables at our politicians, and with Mr. Griffin being such a staunch defender of British traditions, I'm sure he's glad to see it being continued.

11. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

Instead of organising to beat them at the ballot box, they throw eggs. Idiots.

12. peskaa macrumors 68020

peskaa

13. euanmackie macrumors member

If he is true im glad i spent my taxes and my government is organizing this campaign! for the first time in a while well done labour!

14. Pixellated macrumors 65816

15. remmy macrumors 6502a

I am glad that there are protesters that will show that even if they have two MEPs they are still not welcome.

My only fear is that this has given the BNP more coverage and they will spin it that they are the victim.

16. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

remmy - Not welcome - over 940,000 BNP voters would disagree

17. Queso macrumors G4

Not the way to go about it. I worry that the National Front BNP and Griffin in particular are fast generating a media circus which detracts from where everyone ought to be focussing, namely on their repugnant policies. Eggs and far-left protests allow the BNP's spin doctors to avoid scrutiny and to set the agenda.

Only long term thinking can push these people back to the margins. Short term action will strengthen them.

18. cristo macrumors regular

A negligible proportion of the electorate. If we didn't have a crazy semi PR voting system, it would never have happened.

Still, with them out in the open, perhaps people will now see the true colours of the BNP - I imagine their support will drift away come the general election.

19. oscillatewildly macrumors 68000

cristo,

2,381,000 voted Labour, 4,198,000 Conservative

They cannot be taken for granted. Everytime it's 'They are vile ...', 'We must deal with the concerns of those turning to them ...', yet the Government doesn't deal with the concerns and the support goes up - nationally the BNP vote was up.

20. thecritix macrumors 6502

I have no problem seeing an egg hit Griffin, his ideas and the values that they truly represent are awful.

However.. if you belive in free speech, then you need to defend it in all its forms.
    The free speech which is populist needs no defending, it is the free speach which disgusts most people and offends the values we hold dear that we must protect.

This is why the Muslim's holding Buchers of Basra signs should be allowed their voice just as the BNP should be allowed their voice.

If we do not have these extremists then we become a Orwellian society where the opposition is a dummy and society is mute.

Personally I think the BNP's values are disgusting but I would fight to protect their right to have and speak those views.

Give them their platform, let them spout their filth and then let them rot in their own poison.

21. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

And make sure those rocks knock those silly ideas out of his head.

22. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

I have been out of England a long time, do not vote, and, frankly, the politics is largely irrelevant on a world scale and I don't follow more than the headlines. I am aware the BNP is regarded as the new Nazi party but have never read much about them. I just had a (quick) look at their website and must in all honesty say I didn't see anything 'Nazi' about them. Is stopping mass immigration the problem? I understand it's caused severe social problems in the years since I left (the influx from eastern Europe). Am I missing something?

23. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Have a read. There are many more pearls in there.
    http://bnp.org.uk/Constitution 9th Ed Sep 2005.pdf

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Thanks. I'll save it and read it when I get some spare time.

25. Mac-Addict macrumors 65816

Mac-Addict

The BNP are pure scum. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04QolIvfQEw
    "Selling" their ideas. It's a huge front, The BNP behind closed doors stand for shockingly similar views to the KKK and Nazis. Yes immigration needs to be controlled, maybe like Australia's immigration rules but The BNP should not have ANY input.