BNP Membership List leaked to Internet

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Queso, Nov 18, 2008.

1. Queso macrumors G4

Well, the extreme right British National Party are spitting fire because one of their disgruntled ex-members has just posted the party's entire membership list on the Internet. The members of the party, which frequently denies being racist despite policies to the contrary and associations to neo-Nazi groups and hate-crime violence, are more than a little upset. Details posted include full names, addresses, telephone and mobile numbers, e-mail addresses, and even in some cases employment details, hobbies, and specific requests for discretion.

Simon Darby, the party's spokesman, had this to say:-

Charming.

The Times

(Oh, and by the way, a quick Google of the term Redwatch will give you an idea of just how little sympathy I have for the members crying over this right now.)

2. irishgrizzly macrumors 65816

irishgrizzly

Couldn't have happened to a nicer group of people. :D

3. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

4. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

I'm not going to post a link to the list (nor should anyone else), but it's easy enough to find on Google after about 10 seconds or so.

I was particularly amused by this member's occupation. It's just so delicious I had to share :D

5. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Haha, that's amazing, so incredibly ironic :p

EDIT: On first inspection of the list, ran my local area code through, found somebody from a village over to me, turns out, I went to school with their son...

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

I hate the BNP, but I'm not impressed with leaking membership info for any private organisation publically, especially if it falls under the Data Protection Act.

7. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

I just saw the movie Bullet Proof Monk, and in it the head of a human rights organization was a former Nazi. They said it was the best cover. :p

8. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Illegal acts are illegal regardless of who they are committed against. So I grudgingly concur.

9. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Now had their servers been hacked by a third party I would fully agree with you. However, in this case it's another example of the extreme right turning in on itself. It will be interesting to see what happens to the person who leaked the info should he/she be discovered.

10. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Thinking of AOL from times pastit might be interesting to see
    (if the list contains it) possible correlations between hobbies, professions, areas of expertise etc, and BNP membership.
    What hobby, profession etc exact pairs with a racist leaning?

11. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Membership suspended for a inappropriate tattoo,what could that be? a swastika on the forehead perhaps.A Google will find various things including spreadsheets.

12. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

I love the ones that state things like "Full commodity paid - 07" wtf does that even mean... :confused:

13. Peterkro macrumors 68020

Peterkro

Wikileaks for those to lazy to Google.( it's interesting that although it's mirrored around the world it's also hosted on U.K. Wikileaks, given the list is subject to a court order that shows a lot of balls or alternatively stupidity).

14. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

edesignuk

http://up.*************/files/1/Images/Gifs/roflcopter.gif

I am most amused.

15. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

Nick Griffin is doing his usual and trying to play the anti-establishment victim. He even comically enough is trying to blame the leak on the government rather than his own followers fighting amongst themselves.

Also amusing is the BNP's sudden support for the Human Rights Act, now their members are being affected by something it covers. Seems like it does have a point to it after all, doesn't it Nick?

BBC News

16. djellison macrumors 68020

Quite a lot of ex-service men, and lorry drivers. Hunted for any relatives etc - glad to see that I couldn't find anyone I know.

Doug

17. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

18. djellison macrumors 68020

Well - 10,000+ names is a alot to go thru - but I didn't spot anyone.

19. Queso thread starter macrumors G4

There's a rumour there's a couple of footballers on there, but I've not spotted them yet. Obviously that ballerina is there, but the media knew about her anyway.

20. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Like many others, I'm concerned about the leaking of the list in the greater sense rather than this particular organization. Hacking the list would have been worse than this instance, but that is was leaked by a former member is no excuse. One of those bad is bad, but scale can vary, type things. As always, I wish wikileaks the best of luck in continuing its very noble efforts.

I never had the joy of dealing with the BNP while I was living in Edinburgh, and for that I am grateful. But I was lucky enough to deal with the looks I would get when I told people I was working for the SNP and they assumed it was just a Scottish branch.

21. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

In one of those delicious bits of irony that these stories always seem to bring about, it turns out that Nick Griffin and the BNP will be using their right to privacy - enshrined in British Law as part of the European Convention on Human Rights - to stop further publication of the list. Genius!

22. djellison macrumors 68020

For those that don't 'get' the irony - The BNP oppose our membership of the EU, but are prepared to use its laws in this instance.

Doug

23. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Just found someone in the list, I used to go to school with their son, pretty scary stuff...

Not overly surprising considering some of things his kid would say were hideously racist...

24. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

What does it say about a party when the members are afraid to have their names publicly disclosed.

For me, it shows what the BNP are. That, and the member who lives on Primitive Street!!
    Got some members near me, a few people living on streets where some friends live.

25. JW8725 macrumors 6502a

People there is a BNP member living next door to my sister's brother in law. :eek::eek::eek::eek: