Bobby Jindal's 2008 portrait goes viral: Should this be news?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by iBlazed, Feb 5, 2015.

1. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I'm usually not one to race bait, but this portrait REALLY looks nothing like him. Neither of them actually. Not the official one in his office, nor the loaned one that hangs in the lobby. He appears very caucasian in the portraits, especially the loaned one. Kind of weird.

Link

Attached Files:

2. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Ted Turner is negotiating for the rights to colorize it.

3. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

Heh, beautiful.

The full length portrait does look remarkably white; the other painting not so much. Neither of the photos look as though much effort has been put into the lighting, though.

He's clearly a man of many colours, if you look on Google Images...

[​IMG]

What I take to be some sort of official photograph, top right and bottom left, both exhibit typical 'Caucasian politician healthy/wealthy glow'.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

5. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yes they certainly seemed to "Europeanize" his facial features in one of the portraits.

6. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The official portraits look photoshopped for skin tone.

7. mojolicious macrumors 68000

mojolicious

They do look unnaturally 'white', and it would be interesting to know if it was a conscious decision. I'd like to think not.

That full length painting: look at the state of the pillar he's standing next to. My teenage daughter's GCSE Art coursework shows a better mastery of perspective.

8. Huntn, Feb 5, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

My suggestion, be proud of your heritage! <seriously> While saying that, I realize it can be a challenge especially for minority kids who want to be "mainstream" at least their perception of acceptance based on color. We have some Hispanic friends whose kids prefer to think of themselves as white, not Hispanic. It's all about social pressures and groups who are percieved to be "desirable" by your peers. I see an exaggerated pressure to conform in the GOP, yes? ;)

"I'm not white, but look at my portrait"! ;)

9. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

He also converted from Hindu to Catholic. And I'm sure he would have had to approve of these portraits. Maybe he has an identity issue? Seems to want to strip himself of Indian identity.

10. citizenzen macrumors 65816

As for the tweet, it is race baiting.

Someone with nothing better to do with their time picked an insignificant detail in Jindal's world and purposefully tried to score points off it.

Trolling, race baiting, call it what you will.

11. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Art criticism and psychoanalysis all in one thread is really jumping the shark. :)

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

All of my comments in this thead have been observational, not judgmental, other than trying to fit in with the good ole GOP. ;) I see no legitimate reason to appeal to prejudice views regarding these portraits. Lamar White (nice name ;)) is described as a liberal blogger. Just how liberal is he? If he is using this as a means of picking apart Jindal's character I disapprove of the tactic.

13. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

Agree. Policy-wise, Jindal is a total mess. But, who cares about his official portrait &etc? Who would ever even look at it unless someone called attention to it?

14. mtneer macrumors 68020

mtneer

I think if anything, questions need to be raised about the artist. It's not like Gov. Jindal sat in front of a mirror and painted himself.

15. Sydde macrumors 68020

Sydde

What is really creepy is how the one standing in front of the pillar makes his face look like W. Bush.

16. luvmymbpr macrumors regular

luvmymbpr

We live in a country where a dancing shark at the super bowl halftime show goes viral.

This shouldn't be news, but it's not surprising.

17. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I missed the dancing shark!! :(:(

18. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Didn't anyone get the memo? Indians are Caucasians.

19. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

The entire race classification system is mostly based on false standards, but are still used to classify groups,of people for a variety of reasons, mostly for convienence. While I don't claim to be an expert, in my ancestory research I've read that race categories are diminished when you consider that there is no physical characteristic that can be isolated to a single "race". Name a feature, any feature, no race category has exclusive rights to that feature.

20. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

As is this artwork!

It's almost as if the artist was making a statement with deliberate artistic gaffes:
    • Defective perspective
    • Shadows for the right and left legs going in different directions.
    • Awkward, uncomfortable stance.
    • Figure detached from the background.
    • Thin white line round his right leg (makes him look like a two-dimensional cutout with no depth.)
    • Mouth grotesquely shifted to his right.

And with all those things so clearly WRONG, the picture is deemed acceptable and proudly hung on the wall!

I may be wrong, but I think the artist got the last laugh here.

21. iBlazed thread starter macrumors 68000

iBlazed

Yeah it looks like a little kid cut it out of a magazine and pasted it on that background.

22. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

No, this should not be news.

He's a politician. He portrays himself in multiple colors to maximize votes. Kind of brilliant, in a sick and twisted sort-of-way.

23. sodapop1 Suspended

sodapop1

No-go Zones?

Merely pointing out that someone's portrait looks nothing like them is not race-baiting. Now, if they had tweeted out the pic with the following caption, that's another story. :cool:

[​IMG]
    "Bobby Jindal, the Uncle Taj of the GOP and presidential candidate for 2016"

24. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Don't read too much into it.

This is how picasso saw himself...I doubt he was that white.

[​IMG]

25. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

To see how faulty the whole concept of "race" is, you only have to look at our president. Only his father is "black", yet that automatically makes him "black". In order for one to be considered "white", they have to be PURE "white".